MW3 trailer confirms Sledgehammer, date

Tuesday, 24th May 2011 01:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The official reveal trailer for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is here. Enough said?

The trailer finally confirms the November 8 launch date that was previously touted, and also confirmed in a press release today, as well as the involvement of Sledgehammer Games, founded by ex-Dead Space bosses Glen Schofield and Michael Condrey in 2009.

“Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is by far the most epic Call of Duty experience yet,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision publishing in a statement. “The teams at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games have worked tirelessly to create for the Call of Duty player a scale that is unimaginable with a level of polish and creativity that will push the genre forward.

“The passion and energy of our developers is reflected in everything about the title. From the innovative gameplay, to the cinematic intensity, to the most advanced multiplayer ever, Modern Warfare 3 will raise the bar for this already incredible franchise.”

The trailer was debuted during the NBA Western Conference Finals, and turned up on multiple YouTube channels within the last hour. Activision’s official release followed hot on its heels, with unofficial sources being rapidly shut down.

Modern Warfare 3, the next entry in the juggernaut of shooters – and arguably, gaming in general – is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on November 8.

1. HauntaVirus

Looks pretty good, I’m in.

2. xino

AHAHAHAHAHA

amazing!

I’m gonna enjoy playing E3GLAND!
    The train part is crazy man!

i love this game so much, the way you shoot the weapons just feels so unique, smooth and authentic! That is why I love MW so much.

The game looks crazy man.

time to go to sleep as a happy man

3. DGOJG

Mmmm I love me some game engine copy and pasta

4. Christopher Jack

I remain unimpressed.

5. Dralen

The England and France locations are definitely a nice change, but I don’t see anything new here that actually makes me want to get this.

6. jowadmax

@4: Me too.
    I think the idea of sticking with the same 2007 engine will not work that time.
    If we compare it with BF:3 who’s the winner??
    Think about it IW.

7. Phoenixblight

New engine my butt the only thing new is the amount Michael Bay Mentality in the game.

8. DSB

Well, it certainly looks like CoD.

Does it smell like CoD, and does it play like CoD? Hmmm.

I’m carefully optimistic, but it all comes down to whether they fucked up the MP.

@6 Really, if Infinity Ward have proven anything it’s that engines have little to say for which is the better game.

There are plenty of other developers out there worrying about tech, when they should be focusing on honing their gameplay. I think the fact that they’ve continually pounded games with far fancier engines speaks for itself.

Ultimately the ammount of 1′s and 0′s you manage to produce means absolutely fuck all, compared to the fun you’re able to squeeze into your game.

9. darksied

Might have looked impressive if I hadn’t already seen the BF3 trailers and demo. So, after that, meh.

10. Gama_888

Oh wow, its changed so much, amazing.
    no seriously its the same.

also:
    LOVE THE FACT THEY HAVE TRAINS CRASHING & EXPLODING IN THE LONDON UNDERGROUND. SERIOUSLY ARE U ASSHOLES JUST TRYING TO PISS PEOPLE OFF WITH ATLEAST ONE MISSION IN EVERY GAME?

Seriously the more i think about that train scene the more pissed off i get. Why would anyone want to put that in a game and remind any survivors/ family members of the 7/7 attacks of that day?

11. DarkElfa

I’ll play it but I won’t buy it.

That honor is saved for BF3, a far superior game.

12. DSB

But it’s certainly assured that the more people wail on about vague references to random acts of terrorism in the real world, while desperately trying to make the connection to ones set in an alternate reality, where pretty much nothing else makes sense (like Russia attacking the US without being oblierated in less than 24 hours) the more free publicity the game will get, and the more eager every teenager will be to buy it.

By all means, rant on, that was obviously the singular purpose of the airport level in the last game. And idiots were certainly lined up to take the bait on that one.

13. Moonwalker1982

Kinda a coincedence how BF3 showed buildings exploding and collapsing, and now in this trailer too…or is it? It looks action packed for sure but graphically….nothing ground breaking. However, are you guys sure it’s still that old engine?

14. Phoenixblight

“Where does it say it’s the London tube? I’m no train afficianado, but that looks as much as a French metro train as it does an American one.”

It says England and then goes to a train scene. 2 + 2 = 4?

15. Gama_888

well it says england moments before it shows that scene so i think its pretty obvious that it is in london.

and yes i know they have probably just put it in for the hype and whatnot like with the airport scene, which i really couldn’t care less about. But when they start to show things that resemble actual terrorist attacks, there crossing the line.

Imagine if they had 2 tall buildings getting hit by planes in that trailer. There would be an uproar.

16. Moonwalker1982

If you look at the water, the explosions, the overall look, it sure looks like all the other COD games to me. Definitely not a brand new shiney engine, i put my bets on the same old engine as before, only updated a bit.

17. muffinmn100

New engine my ass, the destruction is probably a cutscene also.

18. Bloodyghost

Super Yawn. That stuff put me to sleep.

I am super unimpressed and found it hiliarous that HipHopGamer told this was going to give B3 a run for its money.

Gee.

More Mikey Bay?

“DESTRUCTION”?

Terrible graphics?

The Same Old Song and Dance?

Check and Check to all.

I am going to sit here and just facepalm at the sales this thing is going to get and the awards and critical acclaim it will get.

Following after Black Ops in the like of Call of Dooty.

19. JeRicHoOL

BF can’t touch CoD. Look at the sales, look at the amount of people that prefer CoD gameplay over BF gameplay. Battlefield is not even close. The majority gives fuck all about tactical gameplay and realism. We want a quick action and fun and that’s what CoD is delivering year by year.

And stop crying about the exploding train in the London underground or wherever it is. It’s a game. Sick shit happens every day. If you take in-game stuff serious then you quickly need to find a psychologist and ask your parents for some love.

20. muffinmn100

Fanboy^

21. G1GAHURTZ

CoD is BACK!!

Oh yeah!!!

22. JeRicHoOL

#20

Constructive comeback right there…
    Not really fanboy, more like facts. Or was I wrong about the sales? Wrong about the fact that the majority is playing CoD? Why do you think BF is not going to take over the throne? It’s the gameplay! I’m not saying it’s shit but it’s too different compared to CoD.

23. poopoofruits

call of duty is about action ALOT of action, what did you expect to see pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows?

24. Xuchilbara

This looked like UTTER SHIT…. This game would have looked good in 2000, but with the engines different devs have now, especially the Frost Bite 2 engine, I can tell BF3 will easily be taking my money over this recycled gameplay any day!

25. ultramega

HAHAHAHA. That looks like total shit; the same as the last two! Just like I knew it would! Keep going back to Acti and their franchise milking, you sheep, and this is what you’ll continue to get.

BTW, don’t ever come crying to the rest of us once you get sick of it. You only have yourselves to blame.

26. ekfight

Im new to VG247, and I gotta say… theres SO MUCH negativity here.
    too bad

27. osric90

This is getting a little like bad movies with lots of sequels… If they make it 3PS, I’ll buy it… So freakin’ tired of FPS… I mean, it may sound as blasphemy to you but at least F.E.A.R. 3 and DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION have something that make both of them different. Still waiting for Half-Life 2: Episode Three though.

28. TikiSadZombie

Looks the same as MW2… which imo is the worst so that means is a no buy for me. Blops is my last cod the end.

29. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Looks good to me. Not Battlefield 3 good, but good nonetheless. Better than i expected actually.

30. Patrick Garratt

Goosebumps. That looks awesome! Love the Paris and London stuff.

31. Arman.G4

I ‘m just waiting Avmdnsh

32. bluffbluff03

Nice one. Looks simliar to MW2 … and again the same engine :( But I am glad that you are able now to end up with this Markarov.

33. Overdos3

I hope that people are not dumb because it’s still the same sausage for years. One call of duty each year why? Because it’s a best seller and only the brand Call of Duty will get it sold either it’s a good or bad game.

When you have to develop agame in 2 year it’s sure you’re not going to change many things. Here they made a little SP and they’re going to add some gun and killstrikes on MP and then sell it for 60$.

This is a shame, they have to improve their engine which is pretty old compared to pc engines.

I’m fed up with this shit, i hope people will open their eyes. BF3 FTW!!!

34. Robbins

I don’t like the look of that speed boat mission, looks very similiar to the one at the end of MW2, But I am already betrothed to Battlefield 3 so sorry COD

35. manamana

^ must be because all the chasing missions feel the same since MW?!

It looks good, but no goosebumps for me.

36. Grimrita

The Pegi guy at the end should be saying ‘Product not yet showing actual gameplay!’ The settings look cool but if this is yet ANOTHER shoddy port, it wont make my shopping list

CGI yawn

37. Baloota

MW3: World War 3 end , Makrov is killed
    MW4: Zakhiv still alive , The World War 4 start
    MW5: The World War 4 End , Aliens invading the earth
    MW6: The Planets War start , Osama is the leader of Aliens
    and more FUCKING WARS !!

38. themadjock

CoD Vs BF is the new console war. BF FTW

39. Edo

At moments it looks more like CoD4,which I like,cause that game is one of the best(if not the best)shooters of all time.

40. polygem

it´s looking good. sure: bf3 is the game i´m hyped about the most this year. no question. but i love the shooter genre – always did. so it´s a no brainer that i willl buy mw3…i will probably enjoy it a lot. i´m back playing cod4 right now which i haven´t for a while. it´s still the very very best cod imho. the maps are unmatched. it´s so well balanced. a great online shooter. i hope mw3 will kick cod 4 off the throne…but wait…where should i take the time from to play bf3 and mw3???

41. Gekidami

42. Maximum Payne

@41 I agree but BF3 is also going to have Paris and New York levels both SP and MP.

43. Blerk

M3h.

44. Maximum Payne

@43 I see what you did there :D
    I think look good but let be honest what are they going to do with MP is going to determine faith of MW3

45. minxamo

It’s just Cawwadoody 2.1, nothing the the trailer was new, i’ll stick with BF3.

46. Erthazus

Who said that there is a new engine?

47. Erthazus

“Glad its not based in some generic, middle eastern shanty town (like say, BF3), we’ve got way to many of those in games these days.”

name at least 3-5 FPS games and good ones please.

“Is there even another FPS that has you play war in the worlds western capitals? Not that i can think of.”

Yes there is and with better Russian language and also with cities that look like Real, but not some kind of fake.
    We all know how IW makes cities. I already saw Sheremetyevo in MW2. A Comedymetyevo with KGB that use shields.

48. NeoSquall

New Engine?
    Nope, same old shit. FIRST LIE.

Destruction?
    More like SCRIPTED shitty destruction. SECOND LIE.

Does it show any actual gunplay?
    Nope, just the usual scripted scenes. THIRD LIE.

Michael Bay all over the place?
    Check.

I foresee this will sell at least 12 million copies, mostly on consoles.
    Why? Because console kiddos don’t care about actual gameplay AND Activi$ion doesn’t really care about the PC community (we PC gamers are all pirates aren’t we, Bobby?).
    The only hope for PC gamers this year is Battlefield 3, which is an actual TECHNICAL INNOVATION in the FPS genre, and by TECHNICAL innovation I mean a new engine that moves forward from the actual “next-gen consoles” (well, they’re actually pretty old now, we could just call them “7th-gen consoles) possibilities.

Too bad marketing people will make people ignore the fact that even HOMEFRONT looks better (and plays better) than Modern Warfare 3 today, which is a shame for the gaming community.

And PLEASE, don’t mention the word ACTION in this trailer because THERE ISN’T ANY AT ALL, at least from a gameplay point. If you want to watch this kind of action from your couch just rent a fucking movie!

49. Erthazus

@48, it’s not scripted shitty destruction.

It’s PRE SCRIPTED WALLS :D

50. NeoSquall

@46 http://kotaku.com/5804735/the-maker-of-modern-warfare-3-has-moved-beyond-its-modern-warfare-2-tech

@49 yeah, you’re right

51. DSB

@Phoenix Fair game, but I still don’t see what imaginary acts of carnage have to do with actual ones. It doesn’t look to me to be the work of 13 aspiring kiosk vendors with napsacks and some storebought chemicals.

@Indignants If you’re specifically exploiting a terrorist attack, then fuck yeah you deserve to be scorned to high hell, but if you’re simply exploiting the fact that the world’s violence is suffering from severe overexposure in the 21st century, and that terrorism is a hot topic, then you’re no worse than everybody’s mom who goes around talking about terrorism everytime she goes on a flight or sits next to an immigrant on the bus – or any single 24 hour news network known to man, spewing mindless hyperbole for the masses.

Yes guys, terrorism is being exploited, just as communism, catholicism and paganism before it. The only thing you can do about it, is not to take the bait.

52. nemsis

I’m in
    more trailers please

53. drewbles82

dont see how the train being rammed by a car and it derailing, flipping over loads has anything to do with 7/7. omg train, underground in London must mean 7/7, dont think so. If you went through every call of duty game and looked at the missions where some are probably based on real life experiences, shouldnt we complain about those as well. You got planes in America, no ones saying bout 9/11.
    Game makers are not being insensitive to certain events, they are just making a game. If they had to be sensitive to people, you’d be running round shooting bubbles at each other(no wait, someone might have had a bubble in their eye, cant use that).

54. strikkebil

after black ops i didnt wanna get another cod, but damn this trailer looks good.

55. drewbles82

I definately prefer the modern warfare games to the treyarch games, yes they could put a few things in like combat training but overall im sure it will be way better than blackops

56. PS3Dreamer

Yeah Black Ops sucks ass just like WAW, thanks alot treyards u suck, Infinty wards is the best at COD

57. OrbitMonkey

Hmmm I’ve seen both BF3/MW3 trailers now & MW3 looks like more fun. Plus I havn’t seen BF3 running on a ps3 yet, so no guarantee it’ll look as good as MW3 (MW3 should look as good as MW2, which is fine by me).

Looking forward to the mp trailers, cuz lets face it, that’s the big draw for BOTH games.

Oh for the guy ranting about MW3 exploiting terrorism, i look forward to your stiff letter telling off Chuck Norris :)

58. freedoms_stain

@57, the MW3 trailer contains no gameplay. It’s cinematic bullshit designed to build the hype. The BF3 trailer was essentially a tech demo for Frostbite 2.

So who’s to judge what is more fun from that?

59. OrbitMonkey

@58 Well let’s see.

MW3 Hype bullshit trailer: Shooting at helicopter, from a helicopter. Pinpoint airstrikes from AC130(?). Racing down the Thames in a motorized dinghy and fighting in the streets of London, Germany, France.

BF3 This is a serious shooter, not in anyway a attempt to create a EA cash cow trailer: Crawling across a rooftop… ooh Battlefield does prone!

60. freedoms_stain

@59, I had minimum of 10 Chopper dogfights on one round of Heavy Metal alone on BC2 yesterday, Choppers are a BF staple, and guess what? They’re not on rails! I piloted the thing!

Racing down the Thames on… the… rails… fun! A rail shooter!

Any sort of airstrike in MW… untouchable point and click fire from some untouchable on the rails slow moving aircraft which highlights enemies for you… isn’t it fun raking in kills without any skillz! fun fun fun! (holy shit this should be friday).

BF3 trailer, tech demo, look at our new lighting, micro destruction, macro destruction, suppression effects, shooting mechanics. Make you interested in the game by showing you how it works as opposed to showing you a bunch of cutscenes or rail shooter sections with.

61. StolenGlory

I think that the footage shown for the MW3 reveal is certainly indicative of a fun SP campaign, in regards to multiplayer though, Battlefield remains a perennial favourite of mine for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Battlefield has always felt a lot more open to me; with the vehicles, the destructability and the much larger maps certainly allowing a more varied application of tactics. This, along with decent teamworking makes the MP of the Battlefield appeal a lot more to me. MW MP does a mean Counter Strike 2.0 though however and I can see why those who adore it do.

62. OlderGamer

Freedoms_Stain +1

63. OrbitMonkey

@60 Not long ago on MW2 I got a 25 kill streak & dropped a nuke ending the round within 7 intense mins. I imagine your helicopter dog fights took longer. I just think minute by minute COD has more fast paced mp action. Which is what i’m after.

As far as on the rails sections go… well your helicopter story was in the mp right? You have no idea how the sp will handle vehicle sections do you? I’m betting on the rails/narrow corridor.

MW3 doesn’t have to show me how it works. I know already. BF3 has to show us something, anything new because their games thus far havn’t been grabbing the largest audiences have they?

64. drewbles82

I got the ultimate edition of BF2 and did enjoy it. The freedom in the single player was good. Online was awesome, maps are so huge and the fact you can snipe from one side of the map and get some on the other side, plus vehicles.
    The only thing i dont like about it, is not being able to system link, I think it would be so much fun just to link up with my m8s.
    Mw2 was awesome, maps were good for the sorta game it was, just any map packs, should be exported to mw3, its unfair the amount of times they get you to pay for the same old maps.

I like both apart from the treyarch ones.

65. Erthazus

“As fare as on the rails sections go… well your helicopter story was in the mp right? You have no idea how the sp will handle vehicle sections do you? I’m betting on the rails/narrow corridor.”

Even in Bd Company 2 you controlled helicopter in singleplayer campaign.

“BF3 has to show us something, anything new”

Isometric destruction?

“their games thus far havn’t been grabbing the largest audiences have they?”

They have the biggest audience on the PC and good niche audience in the console space.
    Why you need more?

66. freedoms_stain

@63, BC2 had sp vehicle sections, and those I remember were full free control.

Congrats on the Nuke. What method did you use? one man army noob tubes from your 1st spawn? maybe you’re a semtex guy. Maybe you actually shoot guys in the face, I dunno. But I bet you’ve never went 93-0 in a competitive online match gunning from a blackhawk, or went 0-0 piloting that Blackhawk and coming top of the leaderboard. Different strokes I suppose, but I’d rather dodge rockets than spam explosives with a 10 foot kill radius.

Dice could easily have produced a wow factor cinematic trailer, which lets be honest would have blown the tits off this visually, but they chose not to, because they’re selling a game on the games merits rather than feeding off the hype of past glories.

67. guapo

“Selling the game on the games merits” and THAT’s why it won’t sell anywhere near mw3. A good ad campaign with some cinematic bullshit could do wonders for bf3. without that they have no chance of coming anywhere near cod numbers. regardless of what game you guys think will be better for YOU, the bottom line for the studio is to make $$. I bet you if dice thought they could do cod numbers they would sell their firstborn children.

68. Maximum Payne

Not sure what you speaking about vehicles but Black Ops have heli level and boat level remember?
    I think really questions is it going to have dolphin dive or slide or any NEW mechanic ?

69. OrbitMonkey

Man I’d forgot about those open section vehicle moments in BFBC… Lol, blonde moment. I guess what’s leaving me cold about BF3 is the idea of running around large open maps being shot by people you can’t see… Or straffed by some fucker in a helicopter *aims stinger at freedom_stains*

I much prefer the tighter maps of MW, plus I don’t have to rely on random strangers on the net to win a match… Just the way i like it.

Oh & those guys who knock Acti for selling the “Same old maps”. Wait until you see how EA nickle & dime BF3… It’ll be epic O_O

70. StolenGlory

Well, historically speaking at least, EA/DICE hasn’t made anybody pay for the ‘same old’ maps; since the same old maps from Bad Company 1 were given away free in Bad Company 2.

I can see where you’re coming from the tighter maps front though; a lot of my friends who are big CoD fans love it for that reason in so far as the action is frenetic, immediate and you aren’t too badly shafted if you find yourself plonked on a team full of gravy slurpers.

71. manamana

@58 Gosh, did you really missed the 12mins fault line trailer, where they state thats actual pre-alpha gameplay footage?! Creep back under your stone …

72. StolenGlory

Uhh, did you mean @58 or @59 there? :)

73. Crab of Thunder

Looks good, i like the England and France parts because it makes a nice change, but obv it’s the MP everyone wants.
    Also i lol’d at the fact that a massive BF vs. COD argument erupted instantly. I’ve lost the will to get stuck in, its pointless, just play whichever floats your boat. Or play and like both, if that isn’t impossible.

74. DSB

I think BF is a more traditional online chaos experience with people rising from the dead, individual weapon definitions and big maps for everyone to roam on in whatever mode of transfer they might like. It’s good for a time, but I think it’s much more addicting to play a game where everything is largely levelled towards pitting player against player, with as few compromises as possible.

If BF were to become what Brink promised, a full spectrum game, then I’d be clapping my hands, but simply throwing around magical medkits and ammo packs is really not enough to get me hard on its own.

I do hope BF3 is going to be a lot better than BC2 though in all of those regards.

@70 True that, but they also didn’t offer any new content, except paywall skins and a fairly rough expansion in Vietnam. I liked Vietnam a lot more than the original game, but it was hardly a polished product.

I’m really not impressed by a developer slicing and dicing readily made content and calling it new, then expecting to be patted on the back for not charging. I suppose it is better than charging, but do you get patted on the back for not being an asshole about rereleasing ready made content? Are things really that bad? :P

75. StolenGlory

I agree with your idea of player versus player with as few compromises as possible to an extent. In principal it should be that MW2 and BLOPS are just as you say, player against player with little or not external compromises affecting their performance. A bigger test of *raw* twitch based gaming skill if you like.

In reality however, the number of exploits that a CoD title typically launches with and by proxy, the length of time it takes to see them fixed, can leave the majority of players disgruntled, annoyed and with little recourse except to maybe suck it down and deal with it.

Balancing problems and bugs tend to affect the CoD titles a lot more because the gameplay is that streamlined and that focused.

It’s in this case that the variety of approach that BF provides can be a boon of sorts. If there is someone behind some foliage sniping you to death every time and you *swear* that you rounds are hitting him but mysteriously not killing him, you can very well get into a tank the next time you respawn and fire a tank shell in his general direction or maybe spawn as a recon soldier, dropping a hail of mortars onto his noggin.

Now I realise that i’m talking about marginalising the bugs in the case of BF, or worse, sticking my head in the sand to an extent but from my point of view at least, the additional variety of choice and tactics that you can apply in a game of BF (and I must strongly stress, in a good team) allow a variety of approaches that would otherwise be unavailable to the CoD player.

Again, this is purely from my own experience and point of view.

I do however completely agree with you on the DLC front; both franchises have been weighed and found to be wanting :)

76. DSB

@75 I tend to hear that a lot, and certainly people running around with nothing but a knife and a gun, or two spitting G18′s are annoying and hard to counter, but they can still be countered with fairly little cunning. G18′s are fierce, but they don’t have the range of a rifle, and the knifewielders are always on the move. Sit down somewhere, create distance, and take them out continually until they realize their mistake and change their tactics. I’m yet to meet any of these supposed world beating exploits or builds that people talk about, although I can see how G18′s and 40mm grenades can be annoying.

Still, I don’t use exploits, and I have no problem climbing the tables.

The only thing I consider a total failure is the fact that shotguns lag as opposed to the other weapons, which travel far faster. It’s insanely frustrating to see yourself push the button faster than some other schmuck, and still ending up as the one on the floor.

I consider BLOPS a different creature, just like WAW before it. It’s much more of a chaos/clusterfuck game. The maps are based on an entirely different way of thinking, whereas in MW2 they’re all square boxes with three avenues and compartments to use for either flanking or chokepointing. And the same thing goes for the weapons.

I wouldn’t want to be the one to tell people to play either one, obviously they have their individual strengths and weaknesses. I don’t disagree about the variety of the tactics though, that’s an element I enjoy about BC2. On the other hand I do love becoming better at the more onetracked disciplines of CoD.

77. OrbitMonkey

As someone who loved using Danger Close & Noob tubes, i’m the last guy you’ll hear moaning about *exploits* :D

Have to say i’m always amused by guys ranting about op grenades, their supposed to be deadly genius! You want to run around with fire-crackers?

78. Dorbacho

THE MODERN WARFARE 3 DEMO LEAKED! I’ve been playing it for the past 5 hours, and I must say it’s pretty amazing.

The site that I got the demo from is here.. get it while the link’s still up!

79. OrbitMonkey

@78 Fuck off with your bullshit links cunto.

80. YoungZer0

@65: You sure about that? I remember you could only shoot from the helicopter.