UK charts: LA Noire becomes fastest-selling new IP ever

Monday, 23rd May 2011 09:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

LA Noire has overtaken Brink to become number one in the UK charts, becoming Britain’s fastest-selling new IP ever in the process.

Sales of the 40s thriller are beyond that of Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar’s last major title.

Platform split is 58 percent on 360 to 42 percent on PS3. For comparison’s sake, the split for RDR was 65 percent on 360 to PS3′s 35 percent.

The game is now the thirteenth fastest-selling title for 360 and the eleventh fastest-selling game for PS3.

Last week’s number one, Splash Damage shooter Brink, moves down two to three this week, with Lego: Pirates of the Caribbean at two.

CD Projekt’s The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings enters at fifth following its launch last Tuesday, with Zumba Fitness above it in fourth.

Full top ten for the week ending May 21 is below.

1. LA Noire (Rockstar)
  2. Lego: Pirates of the Caribbean (Disney)
  3. Brink (Bethesda)
  4. Zumba Fitness (505 Games)
  5. The Witcher II: Assassins of Kings (Namco Bandai)
  6. Crysis 2 (EA)
  7. Portal 2 (EA)
  8. FIFA 11 (EA)
  9. Mortal Kombat (Warner)
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Activision)

1. Blerk

Blimey! Congrats to all involved!

Rockstar and their teams seem to have this unique ability to work on a game for what seems like forever but then actually deliver.

2. Johnny Cullen

Ja. Terrific achievement. Brilliant game too. Well done to Rockstar.

3. Robbins

My favorite game of the year so far, well done to Rockstar they have done the best games of the last two years, Red Dead Redemption and now L.A Noire

4. Christopher Jack

How much did Red Dead sell?-assuming they count that as a new IP because it was a ‘spiritual successor’.
    Analysts have estimated for it to sell between 3-4 million but Red Dead has sold twice that.

Anyways, this is great news for this new Aussie team. This isn’t the first great game from an Aussie team either, Take Two’s 2K studio over here helped bring the world Bioshock. I’d like to see our government take a similar stance to Canada regarding games developers. Australia is filled to the brim of gaming enthusiasts-many with great programming skills, I think it’d be foolish for our government to ignore such a large market.

5. Detale

Only started playing it yesterday morning, really enjoying it so far. Another achievement for Rockstar, and well deserved recognition for Team Bondi.

6. gaz

Red Dead Redmption did about 9 million units…

7. Christopher Jack

@6, That’s just over 8mil & personally-I wouldn’t really count an expansion & I especially wouldn’t trust vgchartz numbers.

8. The_Red

Holy moly. I was beyond sure it would disappoint in terms of sales. Hopefully it has legs and we don’t have to watch likes of Zumba Fitness return to number one.

9. nikazio

My english is not too good, what does IP stand for?

10. Johnny Cullen

Intellectual Property.

11. Noodlemanny

Well done TEAM BONDI. For the first game that they made that I’m ware of, it was brilliant. They have some serous skill there but of course Roskstar must have invested way more into it than any other publisher would have so my great respect for them has just been strengthened.
    @nikazio
    It means Intellectual Property I think. Basically it means the legal right to the title, features and characters of a game.

12. AHA-Lambda

well done LA Noire =)

also got to say well done to witcher 2 for a retail pc game to appear at number 5 is pretty impressive =O

13. Dralen

Red Dead Redemption wasn’t a new IP.

14. daytripper

well done rockstar/team bondi. terrific game, pleased to see it selling so well.

15. DSB

What about the fact that the women all look like they’ve been beaten with shovels and had their craniums operated on, and the fact that the cars handle with as much physics as they did in San Andreas?

I feel kinda sick when one of those deformed broads start hitting on me. Ick.

And that’s not to mention the fact that the game is more of a general cop tale, than anything even resembling noir. I guess that explains the superfluous E, but it just seems pretty insane to me that those flaws are completely overlooked.

Great concept, but it definitely has quite a few glaring flaws.

16. daytripper

if a sequel were to happen, i would hope it would fix a few issues, maybe set it in present time with a story/setting something similar to the denzel washington movie training day

17. deadstoned

Seems to be doing well, glad they’re being rewarded for such innovative new gameplay :)

18. DSB

You should invest in a Police Quest collection.

19. KL

@11 Kudos to you sir for giving credit to those it is due.Why everyone congrats the “pimp” is beyond me

20. Phoenixblight

“And for a cop game, it really doesn’t handle policing very well. In Swat 3 you actually felt bad for wasting a bad guy, no matter how aggressive he was, but in LA Noire you just go around executing people left and right, with everybody patting you on the back for it. I was trying to shoot the very many hostage takers in the leg for a long time, only to find out that spending much less effort simply capping them in the face got me just as far.”

Wrong you don’t shoot things left and right. I am not even sure you are playing the game just going off a few game play videos. Only times you do shoot anyone is when there are criminals shooting you and they don’t deserve any sympathy whatsoever. Noir Films used the same mentality.

You should play the game for more than 10 mins.

21. El_MUERkO

The biggest surprise for me is that people are surprised that L.A. Noire outsold Red Dead Redemption.

The Rockstar brand can do no wrong.

22. Dralen

@20 totally agree with you.

“but in LA Noire you just go around executing people left and right”

What game were you playing?

23. stretch215

Usually a game’s biggest web critics are the people who aren’t very good at playing it. I did notice the lack of physics while driving but I wouldn’t call that a “glaring flaw”. If they had packed any more data into this game it would have imploded people’s consoles.

24. DSB

@20 Obviously I’m mostly talking about the street crime missions.

Judging from the ammount of discs, I’m 40-some percent through the game, and since most people are saying that all the Noir stuff is packed in towards the end, that would certainly explain a thing or two.

Whether criminals deserve sympathy or not is hardly the question, it’s not the job of police to be ethicists. The problem is that you have a game that at least wants to pretend that it’s about “being police”, and I certainly felt like it was trying to come off as less linear than it truly is, with the lack of guidance in its objectives.

When it tells you to save some whackjob loon, but is actually just railing you through a pretty stupid obstacle course, only to let the guy jump off a building, then I feel pretty left out. Why not let me interact with the game, instead of simply making me a prop in a sequence of events that are completely rigid?

Swat 3 was the antithesis. You never knew where things were going to go, like real police, and no matter what action you took, you had to try your best not to really hurt anyone. In LA Noire you just execute them on the spot, and the outcome is written in stone. You could do a lot better than that, without even having to change very much.

Noir films certainly did use the “kill” sensibility, but the problem is that LA Noire, at least at the point I’m at, isn’t Noir at all. It’s a modern cop movie, clearly modelled on Police Quest, with Noir in the title. That’s it. You’d be hard pressed to find any Mitchum or Bogart in those cases.

@23 Compare it to Mafia II. Mafia II asks you to drive around – which can be skipped in LA Noire, but you won’t get much of an opportunity to do street crime that way – and to back that experience up, it has a highly detailed driving model. In LA Noire it’s incredibly boring, especially with that in mind. If you’re used to feeling the leaf springs react when you turn a corner, a stiff box on rails like the one you get in LA Noire is extremely underwhelming. It’s obviously leagues below GTA IV.

And the fact that they’re bad at compiling a game which isn’t much of a looker shouldn’t really be impressive to anyone. The scenery in Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV was arguably a lot prettier, even if it didn’t have the faces, but they managed it all on the same disc.

25. Phoenixblight

Everyone has an opinion on a game, I very enjoyed the game and did not do the street missions because they are not there to add anything to the game besides gaining ranks to get outfits or intuition points which I ignored. I didn’t want help for solving the missions. The Street missions are just like the killing of pigeons in GTA.

As far as the story goes I find it to be superb and when playing it very much reminded me of Chinatown. Everyone has an opinion on it and that fine but it didn’t win a film reward for being trash, just saying.

26. DSB

If it’s in the game, then it’s a part of the game.

Personally the review I respect the most up until now is Tom Chicks. Most other reviewers seem to be giving it a free pass based on the hype.

I’m sure I’ll be happier with it once I get to the actual core of the game towards the end, but it’s still not super impressive to have to go through so much filler.

27. Phoenixblight

“I judge it from whats in the box, and I’m not interested in willfully ignoring any feature, even if it would improve the overall experience.”

As do I, they are small parts of the action gameplay which I enjoy within the main cases of the game so when I replay missions to improve the rating I will go for the street missions, car, locations, etc.

I am sorry you are not enjoying the game as much as I have or others but thats what happens when you are buying a game you have no 100% guarantee that the game will be good for you.

I enjoyed this game and can’t wait until tomorrow(?) when the PSN store is up so I can get my DLC to do some more cases.

28. DSB

Actually it was a gift, so I’m not a penny poorer for it :P

It’s clearly not all bad. I played all of the old Police Quest games, and it’s a great throwback to those games at the best of times, and the questioning is also a great feature, and the actors are stellar.

My problem is that it’s wrapped in things that don’t make sense. The faces look great, but the bodies look absolutely terrible. There’s a lot of women that are supposed to be sexy, but really they look like walking Picassos. There’s a lot of driving, but none of it is any fun. There’s a big city to explore, but most of it is painted cardboard, apart from a few landmarks. You get vague assignments on street crimes, but really you just have to either run or kill until the game tells you to stop. You have interesting crime scenes, but a lot of them are just full of crap that means nothing. A lot of bodyparts to aim for during hostage takings, but doing the easy thing and shooting the guy in the head is just as good as trying something a lot harder.

Great if people enjoy all that. I’m not the one commenting on the people rather than their opinions here, I just think there are some huge drawbacks that are largely ignored.

29. sasanjfr

Happy for witcher 2.I hope it sells like hell

30. loki

And where Fable 3?
    Oh no, this crap fail on PC. Your idiots Lionhead and MS

31. nikazio

Thanks Johnny!

32. Noodlemanny

@ DBS.
    You make valid points up your totally missing out on what makes the game great. Yes it has its faults, but what doesn’t? Every game has something in it that isn’t perfect and yet some people seem to find that these ruin all the things that are good. You have to bear this particularly in mind as its a new P.I., they don’t know what does and doesn’t work within that game. Yes the driving isn’t amazing, but that’s not its focus point it’s just to get you from A to B (every time you get in your car do you have fun?) although yes it shouldn’t get tedious. Yes the street crimes are all guns blazing, but I think that’s the point, to add some action (cos for me at least I start getting this ‘need’ for action. Kinda like when your playing a horror and you just have to stop). One point I did feel is that the chases are very scripted, with the cars this isn’t a problem for me because you can crash. But the foot chases just involve you pushing the stick until you either tackle the guy, shoot him, give him a warning shot or wait till he stops and/or takes a hostage. Running after him is completely linear and might as well be a cut-scene. But I guess me saying that is a bit hypercritical.
    You also have to consider how much time and money they had. The amount that they must of put into other things like the face capture, its a miracle that anything else they did was any good. They just can’t do everything perfect, there’s not time. Basically what I’m saying is don’t expect perfect because its impossible.

33. blackdreamhunk

truth about “LA Noire”

PS3 vs. Xbox 360: Has the 360 peaked? (2D-X.com)

34. Noodlemanny

Wow. ‘don’t expect perfect because its impossible.’ has a nice ring to it. I’m gonna use that again.

35. LOLshock94

pretty sure the game is sexist is so many ways i mean ive done 11 cases and ive killed 1 guy and ive seen 100s of dead woman i mean wtf is LA back in 1945 hated woman or was that just american all together?

36. Noodlemanny

@ LOLshock94
    The vast majority of serial killers kill women. Particularly back in 1940 mainly because women were (and still are to some degree) viewed as being more vulnerable and they were socialised into being more vulnerable, this also goes for men being socialised into being more aggressive. The game is sexist but only because that’s what it was like.
    Although in general more men are killed due to arguments etc, eg drive bys, fist fights, gang wars or just stuff getting out of hand.

37. OrbitMonkey

Rockstar have been making the same game with the same mechanics since GTA3. Sure the places change & the odd new gimmick like swimming, mobile phones, horses or face mapping is thrown in….

But under the skin, their all the same game. Yet each inspires this rabid devotion that see’s people attacking the slightest critique. Now thats a mystery.

38. Noodlemanny

To say that L.A Noire or Red Dead is similar to GTA is just not true, I’m sorry, Its just not. The pacing is completely different, the story is completely different and there are many game mechanics that are different. Although the fist fight and gun play are pretty much identical I’ll give you that, there’s so much thats different not just some gimmicks, and the games defiantly feels different.
    And anyway the system works well I’m happy for them to put it into new and intuitive IPs. Also the fact that they use this structure means that they can focus on making other things better and that’s fine by me.

As for attacking the slightest critique, I try to understand every person view point and I’d like to say that I respect them all. I don’t do this every time, I’m only human. I was only trying to put out my opinions rather than ‘attacking his’, but now I look back at it I guess I did. I also guess that sometimes there are things that just get at people more than others, its not their fault and not really the games fault, its just kinda the nature of things.

P.S Also I’d say you just attacked me a hell of alot more than I attacked DSB