Rumour – Stereoscopic 3D arriving on 360, E3 announcement teased

Monday, 23rd May 2011 15:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EG‘s reporting that full stereoscopic 3D will arrive on Xbox 360, with an E3 announcement being very likely.

The support will enable users to have a 3D experience similar to that of PS3′s. Without going into techno babble, it would mean a 720P image per eye with full HDMI.

“They’d be mad not to do it, is all I can say,” a site source told EG when asked about an E3 announcement.

“The machine is not only very capable, it’s more capable than the PlayStation 3 of doing stereo, assuming you don’t have one of the old crappy ones with the composite leads… assuming you have a HDMI Xbox.”

If 360 3D were to be announced in two weeks, it would be a change of tune for Microsoft. During E3 last year, Xbox production boss Aaron Greenberg questioned if the demand was there from consumers on 3D.

“The question is whether or not the consumer demand is there. That’s the unanswered question,” Greenberg told VG247.

“We’re not a consumer electronics company that’s trying to sell 3D TVs, so we have the benefit of waiting until the market responds. We’re going to take probably more of a pull than a push approach.”

It should be worth noting that Microsoft showed off 3D films at its booth during E3 last year.

Microsoft’s E3 press conference takes place on June 6 at the USC Galen Center.

1. Blerk

I haven’t given a shit about 3D up until now, but this cou….. no, wait – I still don’t give a shit about 3D.

2. Razor

Well if the 360 can do it, then they obviously may as well. But just like on the PS3, it’s going to go nowhere.

3. Erthazus

I give a shit. but only on the PC.

right now on consoles doing something like 3D is just only going to strip the graphics from games in which they are already outdated as hell.

especially after WITCHER 2 graphics and 3D and other great games like Battlefield 3, Skyrim. I don’t see a point in this.

Killzone 3 – shitty 3D and no FSAA while 3D is On.
    With Uncharted 3 for example they stripped graphics even for a standard HD image. People say that 3D there is brilliant, but the problem is that FSAA is still switched off again.

4. Phoenixblight

Less than 5% of the TV sold have 3D capabilities and then less than 30% of TV owners have a HD TV so what are they trying to pull with this 3D shit?

Who would spend for a 1k TV and then wear glasses that cost 2/3rd of the console. Yeah…. Sorry I am not that gullible neither are the consumers.

5. minxamo

well fuck you too, i have one of the old ‘crappy’ ones with composite leads…

6. Gekidami

So i assume the Slim models have over HDMI 1.2, then?

7. ManuOtaku

Call me when the Real Stereoscopic 3D arrives, till then i rather pass.
    P.S by Real Stereoscopic 3D , i mean holographics

8. Mike

3D is bollocks.

9. Christopher Jack

@3, Only hardcore geeks pay attention to shit like that, the other 90% of us couldn’t give a fuck or don’t even know what FSAA is or does, most of us don’t even notice the jags, we just play the damn game.

10. TD_Monstrous69

I’ve been curious to try 3D for my PS3 for awhile, and seeing as how the TV’s are a little more affordable now, I think I just might get one if I can save up the cash. It’s mainly from this aspect that if Microsoft were to do this, it wouldn’t shock me. Mainly because (and not to put it so derogatively) Microsoft’s existence in the home console market is just one giant trend humping. I mean, they saw an opportunity for profit when Nintendo and Sony were profiting big, so the Xbox was born. They saw that motion control was a huge hit with the Wii, leaving them in the dust, so they make their own version of motion control (though to be fair, you can also say Sony were trend humpers for motion control as well). Now they see that 3D is actually catching on, so they announce that they’re bringing dedicated 3D gaming to the 360, to compete with Sony (possibly). Though the one thing that has me in doubt is that would the 360 only have 3D gaming? I mean what if you wanted to watch a 3D movie? How exactly would you pull it off on a DVD? Bring out the classic red and blue 3D glasses? It’s from this aspect, it’d just seem kinda ridiculous, and make it seem unlikely. Because of a possible disadvantage as far as viewable 3D content on the 360.

11. OlderGamer

I think your under scoring FSAA CJ. As for most people prolly don’t care, your right. But once you figure that stuff and see it going…its hard not to want it. I have a hard time playing anything close to HD games w/o AA. I’d rather play a Sega Saturn in SD Or a TG16 even. At lest back then you knew it was because they couldn’t, not because they choose not to.

Anti Alsailing ftw, to barrow a quote from you folks.

As for 3D itself? I am with the “who cares crowd?” Untill the TV I have to buy(because my old wore out) has 3DTV built into it at no additional cost to me – I won’t be interested.

12. Erthazus

@9, you don’t need to be a hardcore geek to see a difference. It’s a spatial anti-aliasing.
    Without it you get a pretty much an ugly version of HD model.
    Remove it from Uncharted and everything is blocky, so whats the point in 3D? Almost no point at all.

13. Gama_888

Im with CJ on this. I play a game to enjoy the Gameplay, not notice the amazing detail on a piece of wood 0_0

As for 3D i still havent tried it out yet, but it doesnt really interest me.
    although i think it could be totally fucking awesome on UC3 :D

14. Christopher Jack

Regarding 3D tvs, I’m in the exact same boat as you OG.
    @12, In most cases, you only notice it if you actually look for it, I’ve gone through entire games with it turned off & didn’t notice it was off til I mucked around with the settings. The only time I actually care for it, is if the developer’s trying to make something super-realistic but no games that I’ve played really NEEDS it.

15. jdfoster00

How can the 360 do this? It only supports 2.3 hdmi and to run 3d on most tv’s you need something that supports 2.4 hdmi like the ps3 o.o

16. rrw

#3

wait you see uncharted 3 on 3D

17. Christopher Jack

@15, Firmware update?

18. Erthazus

@14, games that developed specifically with FSAA does not have the option to turn it off.
    for PC games that effect does a minimum changges you can change it and it does a small change in which as you said you don’t care.

We are speaking about PS3 in which you need to render image twice and where FSAA is important feature.

Killzone 3 without FSSAA looks like garbage. It’s a huge impact on the details. I sw it in 3D and it looks blocky. Fact.

@Gama_888, “I play a game to enjoy the Gameplay”

No shit sherlock, i thought you enjoyed watching just the screen of your TV without touching your controller, but there is a difference between ugly and solid. It’s not about an amazing piece of detail.

19. Erthazus

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/screenshots/original/2008/09/007_Crysis_Mainstream_Modus_kein_FSAA_AF.jpg – this is the game without FSAA.

Just imagine this in motion and you pretty much can’t recognise what is what.

and i’m just showing you Crysis 1 in which case it’s decent. I saw Killzone 3 and without FSAA i just can’t play the damn freakin thing.

20. polygem

who needs 3d gaming. i don´t. i need battlefield 3 though.

all i want from ms beside the regular stuff this e3 is a superhightecoverpoweredridiculous handheld device. with halo and BF3 as launch titles…that´s all.

21. Gama_888

Why have you always got to be an asshole when replying to someone? If you disagree with something i said, tell me. Stop acting like a fucking 12 year old and grow up.

I genuinely could not give a flying fuck if Uncharted 3 looks like crap in 3D because i enjoy the gameplay. I was stuck to uncharted 2 from, start to finish and it was not because of how it looked, Its because i enjoyed what i was doing in the game.
    I could point out dozens of games which dont look life like fanny flapping fantastically amazing but are still incredibly enjoyable to play.

22. Gekidami

^ Speaking of UC3′s 3D, Pachter says its “Unbelievable”.

23. Gama_888

@22 thanks for that :)

but im sure Erthazus knows better than Pachter……..

24. DrDamn

I thought everyone knew better than Pachter … ;)

On the point in question – this will be welcome for those who do have and enjoy 3D. It helps to support the mode properly so you can do simple stuff like bring up the guide without having to turn off 3D on the TV.

25. Christopher Jack

@19, You’re contradicting yourself there, Crysis was built around AA, Killzone 3 was not but uses it to blur out the jags, I too have played it in 3D with the glasses on, You won’t notice the jags unless you look for them. Overall, I do prefer the 2D version, simply because 3D all together doesn’t impress me in the slightest right now, it’s interesting but ultimately a gimmick-In my opinion.

26. jeremycafe

I really don’t see why so many of you are so butthurt over this. I enjoyed the hell out of being able to play Crysis in 3D. To me, it was an entire difference experience that I am more than happy to experience again.

Now, when I saw games on pc like SC2 and WoW in 3D, I wasn’t impressed at all. I think 3D in games really depends on 1st person point of views. Without it, it all just feels strange.

Now in regards to the 360, i sure the hell hope they add this. The only reason I got crysis for PS3 was for the ease of use with 3D. If I can get the same tech on my 360, I won’t have to bother using my less preferred consoled again :)

27. jeremycafe

Also, in response to that good ol Erthazus who is unhappy with all things life:

I have had about 7 people try out the 3D gameplay (both every-day gamers and non-gamers) and not a single one made a comment about “bad graphics” or any of the garbage Erthazus is so focused on pointing out. Unless you are trying to not enjoy it, these things don’t stand out. And as we all know, Erthazus lives to be unhappy so there is no surprise that he has everything negative to say about it.

28. Erthazus

“Also, in response to that good ol Erthazus who is unhappy with all things life:”

unhappy? I just have taste.
    There is no such thing as everything is perfect. thats it.

@CJ,
    “Crysis was built around AA”

Was it? Of course not. How can a game built in around AA?

“You won’t notice the jags unless you look for them.”

to begin with, game looks like an outdaed piece of something with post processing effects on it.
    in 3D it looks horrible. I saw it and play it. I know how it looks, don’t try to tell me. Everything is blocky but in 3D which also does not help you playing the game.

“I do prefer the 2D version, simply because 3D all together doesn’t impress me in the slightest right now, it’s interesting but ultimately a gimmick-In my opinion.

because you never experienced really great 3D game. If it is done right it’s amazing. I can name few games where 3D is awesome.

29. Christopher Jack

@28, “How can a game built in around AA?” They designed it in a way that requires AA, that’s how. Like an architecture using the scenery as part of his design.

30. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’d love to play in 3D, just can’t afford it. When I can afford it, I’ll be all over it and think the option is great.

31. xxJPRACERxx

The 1st thing I notice when playing a game is aliasing and low frame rate. I just can’t stand them. But after playing the game for a while my brain start to accept it.

32. hizzle

All the people hating on 3D either can’t afford it or have never tried it. Trust me call of duty on my 82 inch in 3D was the best game I’ve ever played. All the games I would have bought for xbox, I bought for ps3 only because they were 3D. If they do more games in 3D for xbox I’ll stick with them, but for now I’m gonna go play some mortal kombat in 3D on my ps3. HATERS!

33. onlineatron

Yet another company jumping on a bandwagon that NO right-minded consumer is riding.

34. Hunam

I like 3D at the cinema, but at home… not really.

35. ninjanutta

I agree with hizzle,3d gaming at home on my sammy 8000 is brilliant,but i must admit its not a patch on full hd 3d that my pc can handle,still,its nice to have the tv ready for the next gen consoles that will do 1080p 3d and all the haters will buy a 3dtv then and go wow,3d is amazing.lol

36. xxJPRACERxx

I’ve been playing games in 3d since 1997 with Quake 1 on PC. 3d is a nice thing to have but I prefer better gfx than 3d.

37. sg1974

This is why MS have to sack Arun Greenburg. every time he disses something done by the competition in turns out MS were working on it.

Before the trolls attack, I’m not criticing MS, I’m criticisng Greenburg.

By the way before you dismiss it make sure you try it. My brother has 3D TV – Wipeout HD is mind blowing. Every time he shows someone new they screem like little girls and want more.