Dead Island gets 11-minute gameplay video

Monday, 23rd May 2011 10:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Following on from a new trailer last week, GameTrailers has released a new gameplay video of Dead Island. It’s the first time proper play has been seen of the open-world Techland zombie horror. The video’s narrated by the game’s brand manager, Vincent Kummer. Watch it below. Dead Island’s out this year for PC, 360 and PS3.

1. StolenGlory

I can’t be the only one that thinks that it looks pretty fucking solid?

Am I?

2. M. K.

Solid? I think it looks awesome! Can’t wait!

3. Erthazus

I want to see PC version, because this trailer won’t cut it with outdated hardware.

but from a gameplay perspective i like it. I like that characters animation is realistic.
    Basically Dead rising + Left4Dead = Dead Island

and thank god, slow zombies are there with huge island. and DRIVING! :D

4. minxamo

What left 4 dead 2 should have been.

5. StolenGlory

See, what really does it for me is that it takes into account a lot of things which actually MATTER in a zombie apocalypse.

Stuff like having to worry about (and develop) your cardio, the need to strategically land blows to achieve the desired result on an enemy (smashing the legs to prevent movement/smashing the arms to stop attack) and just normal day-to-day stuff that WOULD matter in such a situation like eating food and procuring supplies.

Additionally the focus on melee and improv weapons is appreciated too alongside the feeling that when you finally DO get a firearm of any sort, that it’s somesort of event and feels like one.

Very impressed with this so far.

6. Erthazus

@5, completely agree.

+ huge island and driving. I think it’s a dream zombie game. + i hope for a decent plot with zombies. Some kind of Resident Evil conspiracy theories about virus or something.

Looks really awesome.

7. M. K.

`Some kind of Resident Evil conspiracy theories about virus or something.`

Oh please don’t. But is there any other possibility than a virus turning people into mindless zombies?

8. Erthazus

@7, but thats the only logical thing i can think of…

What can possibly turn people in to the zombies? Only virus in some kind of form.

9. Blerk

Unless you’re going down the supernatural route, you’re basically stuck with ‘virus’.

10. Blerk

Or radiation. An 80s zombie b-movie favourite! :-D

11. DGOJG

To be really honest I’m not totally sold on this game just yet. It seems pretty standard at best. The graphics are nothing fancy, have a touch of the ‘Just Cause 2′ about them. The animation of the lead character seems a bit off to me especially when she kicks or looks down (her leg is like a stick). It also feels like they’ve taken most of the ideas from Dead Rising 2, Left 4 Dead etc and thrown them into an open world. It’s as if they are trying to appeal to every demographic but I like to be proved wrong. I love a lot of games and even b-movie style ones like Just Cause 2 for instance so I don’t mind being proved wrong but right now it doesn’t look like anything special.

Ps: How the hell does a bat survive an explosion?

12. The_Red

At first I was really disappointed but the seriously open feel and design of the world reminds me of Elder Scrolls games. It’s like a mix of Oblivion with Left 4 Dead, Borderlands and Dead Rising. That can’t be bad. Plus the gore is SO sweet.

13. Maximum Payne

I think only think that is little bit stupid is those XP in your face Call of duty style.It really kill immersion and that stamina bar should be only shown when is near empty and not every time you jump.But everything else ? Fucking Perfect.
    Also graphic are amazing for open world and for consoles if you ask me.

14. Edo

Zombie RPG?I could see that turning up well.

15. Gekidami

Indeed thats why i dont like L4D; It really is just a basic run’n'gun series trying to pretend its this super ‘zombie survival sim’. This looks a lot better, its got the best of Dead Rising and L4D in there. The only point it looks like its lacking on is the number of zombies on screen, i’ve yet to see anything that shows we’ll be getting swarmed.

16. Patrick Garratt

What’s going on with the giant leg and arm at 10 seconds?

17. DGOJG

@16 My point exactly

18. Patrick Garratt

That actually looks great.

19. Patrick Garratt

Apart from the mental leg.

20. M. K.

Oh come on, it seems like we finally get a real, serious survival horror game with zombies on a paradise island and the only thing you notice is the weak animations? This game doesn’t even have a relase date yet.

21. Maximum Payne

They said on site its 2011.And OMG how he broke windows with his hand in car!

22. Patrick Garratt

@20 – No no. It looks awesome. It looks really awesome, in fact. That kick does remind me of Dhalsim, though. Maybe’s it’s the pointy shoe.

23. _LarZen_

Look’s realy nice, on the clip the game is running on a X360 and looks good. But imagine the higher resolution on a PC when killing these zombies….I think it wil be a blast.

24. Patrick Garratt

I hope the four-way co-op’s for the entire campaign and not a “mode”.

25. Moonwalker1982

@ 23

That’s the thing these days, its not certain that this is the Xbox 360 version. Cause it mighr as well be a 360 controller connected to a PC. I really do hope its the 360 cause this looks fucking impressive.

26. Maximum Payne

@25 Agree it look impressive for open world game.

27. M. K.

@25: No, it doesn’t look like PC footage, but if it is, I don’t want to see the console version :D

28. AHA-Lambda

it looks ok

29. G-Sama

Can anyone youtube this,please?

30. Dralen

Put the video into fullscreen mode and sit back from your PC and then you will get an idea of what it will look like on the 360.

31. Nozz

Looks like this game might actually live up to its hype.

Impressive stuff, especially as it will feature 4 player co-op. I hope this does really well.

32. M. K.

@29: here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKcsImtYaFU&hd=1

33. freedoms_stain

That looked pretty sweet.

34. ExOAte

Can we dress up the main characters :P? otherwise it’s a no-go ^^;

35. LOLshock94

thats looks gay and shit

36. DSB

The gameplay looks really great, but the animation looks all kinds of wrong.

37. Stoopid_Snot

looks like Poland is on a role…. Bulletstorm, The Witcher 2 and now Dead Island

38. YoungZer0

A shame he only showed us combat and a short part of driving instead of real gameplay like interacting with people or doing stuff that matters.

Anyway, this is looking really good. If it weren’t for the boring location it probably be Day-One Purchase for me.

39. NightCrawler1970

First of all this player was buffering more than playing, so i saw it on youtube same clip…

Awesome butchering Costa Del Sol, modified any weapon, close combat fight..
    Huge frickin MAP, i have the feeling of GTA4 on foot and by car(limited in this game)..i think it’s a cinematic ending in 4 difference characters, the graphics looks the same as in GTA4 in the distance(blurry) but when you come near it getting sharper and sharper..

I think it gonna be a hit on the market… still wanna know that the pre-order special deals in each difference retail…

Even don’t know does it have day/night cycle?