Bayonetta creator wistful over possible Jeanne spin-off

Monday, 23rd May 2011 03:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Bayonetta director Hideki Kamiya would like to make a spin-off of the OTT action game, starring the titular witch’s opposite number, Jeanne.

Speaking in the latest batch of director commentary for the 2010, embedded below, Kamiya referenced one of its special features, “Cutie J”.

“She’s Jeanne as a heroine, who would star in a spin-off game I like to fantasize about,” the director noted.

Jeanne, who plays an important role in the story, sports a character design deliberately similar to Bayonetta’s, but with varied colouring. Additionally, as Platinum Games famously pointed out pre-release, some of her physiology is less ridiculous. Not much, though.

Bayonetta released in early 2010 to underwhelming response, but managed decent sales and a dedicated fanbase of hardcore action fans. No sequel or continuation has been hinted at by Sega or Platinum.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. osric90

THAT-WOULD-BE-AWESOME!!

2. Gurdil

“No sequel or continuation has been hinted at by Sega or Platinum.”
    You sure about that? oO I was sure it had been said Bayonetta 2 would come out but it would take a while. Did I dream it?

3. Gurdil

(Why can’t I edit anymore? Well not important…)
    I found a link about the first “confirmation” via Twitter (in November 2010): http://www.qj.net/qjnet/news/bayonetta-2-confirmed.html

I thought there was a more official confirmation some time after that but I can’t seem to find it so maybe I dreamt it…

4. The_Red

I loved Jeanne but if they are returning to the same universe, the game HAS to be about Bayonetta. My fave new character in ages and definitely one of the best games of this gen.

5. Christopher Jack

@3, Something to do with the length of time your previous post has been up considering that no one has posted anything between it.

6. Gurdil

@4 I’m with you there. Except I was really not fond of Jeanne… She’s basically Bayonetta but without the fun (well not when you play her in story mode since it’s just her skin applied to the normal story, hence the bayonetta fun transferred to this character). And the fact she can dodge non-stop makes the game easier, which is not awesome ^^ I know you’re not supposed to dodge all the time, you’re supposed to get the right timing but I feel like this 3 dodges max on Bayonetta pushed you to do it “fair” while Jeanne could be played carelessly (well except in non-stop climax since, y’know, the witch time disappearance and all that…)

@5 yeah I guess you’re right

7. YoungZer0

Was hoping this game would die as fast as you’d finish Vanquish. Platinum Games is such an overrated Gamedeveloper.

8. ManuOtaku

For me Bayonetta was 2010 GOTY. period the best game of 2010 only winning by a hair to mass effect 2, i hope this is not true, i want to se bayonetta 2 with bayonetta in it.