Sat, May 21, 2011 | 18:54 BST
Activision memo on Modern Warfare 3 leak comes to light
An internal Activision memo sent to employees after information pertaining to Modern Warfare 3 was leaked last week, has itself been leaked.
The memo, which basically outlines what publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg told Joystiq earlier this week, chats to employees about the “intellectual property leak,” and how serious the firm takes “abuse of our intellectual property.”
It goes on to say that the leak is “under investigation,” and that the company is “confident it will be resolved quickly.”
“What I want to tell you about is how we handled the event internally,” said Hirshberg in the memo obtained by GiantBomb. “We were lucky in that we were very close to our scheduled reveal date, and therefore, we had a number of assets that had not yet been released, but were ready to go.
“When it came to light that we had suffered a significant security breach, it became clear that a leak of this size had the potential to throw our launch off of its schedule, or worse, blunt its momentum…As a company, we needed to look both backwards and forwards simultaneously. Of course we needed to immediately begin finding the source of the leak. But we also needed to deal with the fact that, like it or not, our launch had just begun.
“Very few companies could have woken up with a crisis of this magnitude, and gone to bed with an undeniable win…Everyone should be extremely proud. We’ve got a long way to go. But under very challenging circumstances, we managed to get our launch off to an incredible start.”
Again, pretty much what Hirshberg said earlier this week.
Modern Warfare 3 is expected in November.