Rocksteady: Arkham City to feature 40 hours’ worth of story content

Wednesday, 18th May 2011 11:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Rocksteady has said that it’ll feature 40 hours worth of main and non-main story content combined.

It told The Guardian that it’ll feature 15 hours worth of side-missions.

“The Side Missions in Batman: Arkham City are a good example. We have around 15 hours of story that’s off the main path,” said game director Sefton Hill.

“It’s completely down to the player when and how they want to tackle this – there’s no right or wrong time. There’s no other medium that can offer this kind of flexible experience where the viewer gets to tailor the experience they want themselves.

“In terms of narrative structure, I think games are much more analogous to an episodic TV series than a film. You have, say, 15 hourly episodes to fill, each requiring its own narrative arc but each plugging into an overarching storyline.

“It requires a lot of planning to make sure that every single hour is consistent with each other, is feeding and driving towards a compelling crescendo, while remaining implicitly self-explanatory so players can pick up and play at any time and know what they are doing.”

Not content there, Hill confirmed a 25 hour completion timeframe for the game’s main story.

“It takes over 25 hours to complete the main stories in Batman: Arkham City. To keep players engaged for this length of time, not only do the characters and the story need to progress, but the core mechanics of the game they are playing need to change and adapt as well.”

Batman: Arkham City launches on October 18 in the US and October 21 for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Blerk

Excellent! I’m really, really looking forward to this!

2. Edo

Five more months to go….well….so far it looks like it’s gonna be worth waiting for!

3. Badger

That is some good news right there. Sounds like a lot of love going into this. Can’t wait.

4. Maximum Unreal

This is sound great but is it me or they said last time main missions are 10-15h?

5. Blerk

I easily spent over 20 hours on it last time, but I was taking my time looking for all the Riddler stuff as well.

6. The_Red

25 hours!? This could really hurt the pace of the game. I loved Arkham Asylum but unless they have seriously fresh content for most of these 25 hours, they might be in trouble.

7. YoungZer0

This news makes me purrr.

8. f1r3storm

That’s quite a difference.

9. KAP

I completed Yakuza 4 recently which took me 40hours but to get everything was approx 104hours.

So to get 40hours of gameplay from an 8hr story is logical indeed, and honestly the sweetspot for a game such as this.

10. nikk900

@#8 That was the first thing I thought when I read this.