Howard: Unlimited number of dragons to feature in Skyrim

Wednesday, 18th May 2011 09:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Want to buy Skyrim just to purely slay dragons? It’s your lucky day, slick.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim director Todd Howard has said the game will feature an unlimited amount of dragons in the game.

“No, there is an unlimited number of dragons,” Howard told Norwegian magazine Gamer.no, as translated on the TES forums.

“One of our designers actually put in a random event I encountered, where I ended up being chased by three dragons and I thought, ‘who the hell did this?’ I felt like Frodo in Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers and was really frightened. So I asked him to remove it. But no, dragons are generated automatically (in addition to that there are a number of specific encounters, of course).”

In regards to actually riding a dragon, it’s a bit of an unknown right now. Basically, not yes, but not no either.

“Have we considered it? Yes. Do we allow it right now? No. But we can decide to support it at some point.”

Go nuts, dragon fans.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim launches on November 11 worldwide for PS3, 360 and PC. Read impressions of the game from Bethesda’s pre-E3 event in the US last month here.

1. Blerk

I want to have my own dragon and fly around the countryside roasting people! Make it happen!

2. Gekidami

So he came across a random event that made him feel scared for his character. Gave him the adrenalin rush of the chase… And he asked it be removed? WHAT?!
    This man may just be the worst director of all time.

3. Blerk

Too right – that sounds awesome! What a loon!

4. Hybridpsycho

@2 Ye I noticed that as well :/ It’s pretty dumb tbh :(

5. Shubb9

Having a dragon to ride in Oblivion was a great mod. Someone animated the dragon statue from the city square and made it a loot carrying mount with a selection of colours/attacks. Good times

6. viralshag

Getting chased randomly by three dragons? So I could be walking along picking some flowers for alchemy or something… and then BAM… running for my life?

That sounds so amazingly awesome. One of the best things I have heard about the game. So the designer hit the nail on the head with something that would be really cool and the director said get rid of it… I wonder how often that actually happens.

7. M. K.

It’s actually the same as in Oblivion but with dragons. I always had to run away from black bears because they were always(!) stronger than me :D

8. UuBuU

I agree it’s stupid that he asked for the dragons to be toned down. Personally, I WANT to fear them. I want to think “impending death” when I see one flying at me, and to have to run and hide.

In fact, I don’t want to be capable of killing them at all until my level is fairly high.

But no, dumb kids come first. Dumb kids will whine if they’re too hard. All dumb kids want is to fly on them *sigh* …

9. James Mac

In the Game Informer article he said that he had it made impossible for so many dragons to attack you at the same time… not random attacks from a dragon.

10. Blerk

Do dragons not hang around in gangs? Are they never teenagers?

11. Espers

” maybe if we succeeded in steal its programming from LAIR game then we might be able to make it possible to ride a dragon, stay tuned ” <== lazy developers selling us cheap games. NO LOVE NO LOVE !!