The Creative Assembly already at work on the next Total War game

Tuesday, 17th May 2011 15:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Creative Assembly has said it is developing another Total War game, which started life as the team was finishing up Shogun 2.

Speaking in an interview with Eurogamer, the team’s Mike Simpson replied in the affirmative when asked whether another Total War was in the works.

“We never stop, so yes,” he replied.

The firm wouldn’t reveal whether the game takes place in history before or after Shogun 2, but, as usual it will have some sort of historical significance.

“We’ve actually done work with our hardcore fanbase looking at different eras and which ones they prefer,” said Simpson, “and it’s really flat. As in, it’s really quite evenly split across more or less every proposition we put in front of them.”

According to the team, its latest outing, Shogun 2 is doing rather well, something SEGA confirmed during its latest financials when it revealed it had hit the 600,000 units mark.

“It’s doing fab,” said Simpson. “We’re 90 percent Metacritic, which is exactly where we wanted to hit, and it’s selling great. The original Shogun sold more copies in the second three years of its existence than it did in its first three years. They sell for ages. OK, they’re not all at full price, but comparing one with another…”

“It’s a really complex question,” piped in studio director Tim Heaton, “because Total War games have a really long tail.”

1. Perfectionist

Rome 2 would be my bet.

2. Erthazus

Rome 2 yeah :D

3. deadstoned

Rome 2 please =D
    You reckon they’ll do it more realistic with dirt and grit like Gladiator? Or stick to a cleaner Armour and glorious Empire? I hope they dont go to realistic, too much brown ruins games for me. Too depressing :P

4. Heinekeno

“because Total War games have a really long tail.”
    Making patches for unfinished games that is.
    Just look how long took them for DX11 support which was advertised soo much anywhere on the net.

5. DEADEYES

When will they make Total War for China? :D

6. UuBuU

Shogun 2 was great… and I agree that Rome 2 would be a logical next installment.

I wish they would slow down on development a bit though, or they’re in danger of exhausting the franchise.

7. Grimrita

No surprise here. Lets see an even more dumbed down version of Rome. Announcement probably in October, once they have released the half baked DLC with the release in March 2012, no matter how unfinished it is.

What a fall from grace for what once was the master of RTS gaming. Shogun 2 is probably the weakest in the series for me. It lacks everything and really doesnt inspire me to play other factions, like with Empire.

8. Big_Boss

@Grimrita

Agreed. Same shit as usual. Half ass expansion is on the way with useless DLC in between. I played Rome, Medieval 2 and even Empire to death. At this point they aree milking the series. Rome and Barbarian invasion were excellent, might I say mindblowing. There have only been a handful of games that have provided as many hours of enjoyment for me as Rome did. It’s too bad Creative Assembly has shown little creativity since. Quite ironic.

I wish they would take some time off from releasing a new Total War every year. They need to step back and think about what they’re doing. They need to put some real effort into their future games if they want my money. The basics are there but there is plenty of room for improvement. They need to think in terms of meaningful improvements.

9. The_Deleted

If it’s ROME II I’m going to have to upgrade my PC!!

10. medievalbob

Rome II would be great but I’ve played MEDIEVAL II: TOTAL WAR and of course is extension KINGDOMS so much… I would so much prefer another medieval ;) !!! I’ve played since EVERY TOTAL WAR GAME but my favorite stay medieval. I’m not a fan too of gun wars. I maybe a hunter and a trapper (IRL) but still don’t change the fact that the clashing of hot steel is better than the loud sound of gun… I think that total war sega as go to far in time and now need to go whit good old axe and shield to make the flame burn again, no more gun powder and oil XD!

11. Critface

I like the Idea of Rome II but maybe a new approach would be best. I would like to recommend at Total War game about WW1 or WW2 up to the end of the Cold War. This way there is a big advance meant in technology and big leaders and wars. You would be able to play as U.S., England and French forces, Germany, Austria Hungry, Japan. All of those countries that were big in that time. It allows for a big map, big navies, and big wars. This would be a lot of fun and I would like to see this at some point in the Total War series.