HMV: LA Noire-Brink offer non-existant

Monday, 16th May 2011 16:21 GMT By Johnny Cullen

HMV’s told MCV it isn’t selling LA Noire for a fiver when it launches in the UK on Friday.

The retailer told the site that “no such deal” was “available” despite being reported this afternoon as well as earlier claims from consumers on Twitter claiming otherwise that it has advertised the offer of buying the Team Bondi title for £4.99 if you traded in UK number one Brink.

MCV claims that a publishing source has said the deal is now back on despite having been off at one point.

Game’s out in the US tomorrow and in the UK on Friday for PS3 and 360. Watch for the reviews from 5pm this evening.

1. horse

So you bought Brink from them for £39.99 last week, they want it back plus £5 for LA Noire. End result GAME get £45 from you and get a copy of Brink they can sell for 100% profit.

2. TheWulf

It’s not really that bad of a deal if you aren’t satisfied with Brink. How much sense it makes depends on how much you liked Brink vs LA Noire.

For some people it might work out. For some it might seem foolish.

Who knows?

3. Hunam

I think a lot of people who seem to be getting unplayable lag in Brink will probably snap this deal right up.

4. AHA-Lambda

i can see alot of people taking advantage of this then =s

5. mathare92

The irony of reading that title and then seeing the enormous Brink banner around it. :)

6. DiodeX

Or look for the “1st online order 20% off code for Sainsbury’s” and get it for £32
    Which I did :D

Use code below for 20% off pre-orders and games
    JSGA2005

Was still valid last week.

7. viralshag

I might take this offer up.

I have been playing Brink a lot over the weekend and I don’t think it deserved *some* of the bashing it got. It’s a pretty decent MP game but it could have been great.

Unfortunately a lot of games are too laggy to play and most of the time you are heavily relying on bots to make up the team numbers. Saying that I have had some really fun games where it is me + bots vs bots when I hadn’t even noticed all the real players had actually left.

The texture pop-in issue is definitely something that lets the whole game down, you can spend half a match with the map looking like a blurry mess.

Brink was definitely a game with huge potential but they should no way have released it in the state it was. I would love to hold on to this but I don’t think there will be enough of an online in-game population to make it at all competitive, or worth it.

8. kartana

Doesn’t work anymore :(

9. Link1983

@1 I need to help you out here. Your knowledge of pre-owned sales is really off.
    Firstly it’s HMV not Game that are offering/not Offering the deal, Secondly; There is no such thing as 100% profit. HMV will have to pay the VAT on the profit of the ‘Brink’ Resale. If They are buying your game back at £35 they will most likely be selling it for 0% profit.
    Nobody would want to pay more than £35 for a pre-owned title.
    The customer is really the one getting the deal. I see it as a good get out for those who were ultimately disappointed by ‘Brink’ Ultimately you lose a fiver? You couldn’t rent Brink for a week for that!

10. Fin

In this case, the trade-in seems like a good deal, if you’ve been disappointed by Brink. Usually the consumer (and the publisher/developer) get totally shafted by retail.