PS3 online play back in EU and US after mid-April hack

Sunday, 15th May 2011 00:03 GMT By Staff

Sony has re-launched online play in Europe and the US for PSN following the release of a mandatory Firmware update last night

Kaz Hirai apologises for the downtime and explains how services are
being brought back online.

Firmware update 3.61 goes live

Sony comfirmed on the US PS Blog last night that online PS3 services – including gameplay – were to resume after being brought down on April 19.

New firmware has been release, taking PS3′s software to 3.61, and is a mandatory install. Here’s what you need to do:

We strongly recommend that all PSN account holders with PS3s update their systems to prepare for when PlayStation Network is back online. The release of this update is a critical step as we work to make PlayStation Network significantly more secure. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

In an update on the PlayStation Blog, communications head Nick Caplin has confirmed the company is experiencing email bounce backs from many major ISPs flooded with massive numbers of password reset emails sent out by Sony.

Players awaiting password reset emails are advised to be patient while Sony attempt to resolve this issue.

Before you start using PlayStation Network

In restoring PSN, Sony has introduced a safety measure which means you will need to update your PSN account password before you can start using the service again.

If you’ve got a PS3, you can do this by updating to system software version 3.61 and then signing in to PlayStation Network from the XMB (XrossMediaBar) Menu. Otherwise, you can change your password on your PC here.

Sony is currently working with various law enforcement agencies to find the culprits who hacked into the PS networks last month, and hacker group Anonymous has admitted that some of its members may have gone rogue and caused the servers to be brought down without support from the full collective.

Phased service restoration being implemented

Sony was expecting to bring more services online at the end of last week, but delayed the launch until it felt better security measures had been implemented.

This update shows that the first US phase of PSN’s restoration is now complete.

PSN and Qriocity services will be resumed on a country by country basis, beginning in the Americas, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East.

This has now begun in Europe following last night’s rollout in the US, with UK, Ireland and the Middle-East being the first in the EU regions to get the service back online, according to a tweet from the PlayStation Blog EU.

The first phase of restored services for North America and Europe will include:

• Sign-in for PlayStation Network and Qriocity services, including the resetting of passwords.
  • Restoration of online gameplay across PlayStation 3 and PSP.
  • Playback rental video content, if within rental period, of PlayStation Store Video Store on PS3, PSP and Media Go.
  • Q Music Unlimited, for current subscribers, on PS3 and PC.
  • Access to third party services such as VidZone and MUBI.
  • ‘Friends’ category on PS3, including Friends List, Chat Functionality, Trophy Comparison, etc.
  • PlayStation Home.
  • Increased Security Measures

Working closely with “several respected outside security firms,” Sony said it has implemented new and additional security measures that “strengthen safeguards against unauthorized activity, and provide consumers with greater protection of their personal information.”

Sony said it has made considerable enhancements to the data security, including updating and adding advanced security technologies, additional software monitoring and penetration and vulnerability testing, and increased levels of encryption and additional firewalls.

The company also added a variety of other measures to the network infrastructure including an early warning system for unusual activity patterns that could signal an attempt to compromise the network.

The moment we signed into PSN
for the first time since April 19. Go team.

“I’d like to send my sincere regret for the inconvenience this incident has caused you, and want to thank you all for the kind patience you’ve shown as we worked through the restoration process,” said Kazuo Hirai, Sony’s executive deputy president, in a press release.

“I can’t thank you enough for your patience and support during this time. We know even the most loyal customers have been frustrated by this process and are anxious to use their Sony products and services again. We are taking aggressive action at all levels to address the concerns that were raised by this incident, and are making consumer data protection a full time, company-wide commitment.”

“During the past 18 months, we’ve seen a dramatic rise in the volume of cyber attacks, their sophistication and their impact on businesses. Thwarting cyber-crime requires an evolutionary approach to security that is well integrated, reduces risk exposure and improves efficiencies,” added Francis deSouza, senior vice president, Enterprise Security Group, Symantec.

“Today’s cyber crime attacks are proving to be more covert, more targeted and better organized than those we’ve seen in years past. In working with Sony on the move of their data centre, it’s clear they’re implementing measures to reduce security risks moving forward.”

As an additional measure, Fumiaki Sakai, president of Sony Global Solutions Inc. has been appointed acting Chief Information Security Officer of SNEI. In addition to his current role at SGS, Mr Sakai, in his role at SNEI, will work to further reinforce overall information security across the company’s network infrastructure.

“While we understand the importance of getting our services back online, we did not rush to do so at the expense of extensively and aggressively testing our enhanced security measures. Our consumers’ safety remains our number one priority,” Hirai continued. “We want to assure our customers that their personal information is being protected with some of the best security technologies available today, so that everyone can feel comfortable enjoying all that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have to offer.”

The restoration of the services across the Americas, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East are beginning, and company expects to have the services fully restored by the end of May 2011.

Welcome Back

Sony has also detailed a Welcome Back package of services and premium content to all registered PSN and Qriocity account services, which will be available for viewing on your regions respective PS Blog soon.

Make sure to keep an eye on the US or EU PS Blog for more updates.

1. threadzilla

Woohooo…about time

2. Nozz

Great News!

3. jevonski

yay matchmaking ^^ gonna go shoot me some ISA scum.

4. xino

FINALLY!

Downloading as typing!
    now I can test brink and download sh* loads of goods!

trust me man, never take things for granted!

5. NeoSquall

@4 You will be able to play online, but not using the Store.

6. Stephany Nunneley

Apparently, the online will be up “soon” – like later today.

7. Lahanas

Can anyone confirm that online gaming is enabled?

8. Nozz

My download gets to about 13% then I get an error.. Looks like the servers are taking a battering!!

9. Stephany Nunneley

@7 It will be later today. There’s a new link in the post.

10. xino

wtf man!?
    the download keeps cutting off:/

it stops at 13% and comes up with some error

11. KrazyKraut

happy shiny ppl in 3,2,1…

12. KaRmAChAnG

I’ve downloaded and installed it but when I try to log back in I’m getting the ‘under maintenance’ message. Is anyone else getting this?

EDIT: No nevermind, it isn’t actually back up. The update is for when it does.

13. Nozz

@xino get it here:

Lob it on a USB stick and do the “storage media” method.

EDIT: Nevermind, Bad link (out of date)

14. KrazyKraut

got 15 % now it looks fine.
    Download from Germany on my US Account

15. Stephany Nunneley

Services will be rolled out on a region by region basis. This information has been added to the post above, and it came from a press release we just received. US and EU should have online play restored by tonight (US), and the wee hours of Sunday (EU).

16. KrazyKraut

no..now the download got an error…at 25 % :(

17. Kyzzz

Wait a minute… does this mean i am screwed because i have three accounts, two have fake emails and one has my real email and unfortunatly was hacked, before i go online do i change the emails or something

18. Johnny Cullen

Just added a video of Kaz Hirai detailing the restoration.

19. TikiSadZombie

PSN isn’t back on…is just an update to change your password apparently.

20. jdfoster00

@#19 Yes it is on… for some regions. My friend in North America just phoned me sayiing he’s online. I live in britain and am currently downloading the software update :) Btw the video of Kaz Brought a smile to my face. Nice to know that the head of playstation (sony) cares for his customers :)

21. Psychotext

Restoration map (of the US): http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/play-on-%E2%80%93-psn-restoration-begins-now/

22. scotjock81

Link to pc download for 3.61 http://bit.ly/kG3rWk

23. Gamer_Chris

I traded in my 360 for a ps3 got sick of it lol im just wondering when i can sign up for a PSN account because it still says under maintenance when i try and sign up on the PS website is it because i am in the UK and only the US go live first any advice would be great as i am new to the PS3 :)

24. Patrick Garratt

Have any of you actually played a PS3 game online yet?

25. Telepathic.Geometry

I can’t even log in yet. :-/ (Japan)

26. Patrick Garratt

I’m downloading the firmware now. But it’s either gigantic or amazingly slow.

27. KAP

Still wont let me play online after downloading the update. its ok tho…

28. Telepathic.Geometry

The download took me about two or three minutes. But then I have a 100MBit line.

29. Bluebird

Downloaded the update (as fast as usual), managed to install it, but get a message that PSN is under maintenance. I guess it will be a few hours more before it’s back here in Europe.

Some US people can play though, by the looks of it.

30. The_Deleted

Who’s up for some Motorstorm? Can’t be any less frustrating than the ridiculous AI.

31. Patrick Garratt

I’m going to check again in a sec. I’m in France.

32. Gekidami

^ Nope not up there yet.

33. Patrick Garratt

Yeah. The firmware’s updated but I can’t sign in.

34. Detale

Same here, firmware done but PSN still ‘under maintenance’.

35. Christopher Jack

Some American states are already back up, by the end of tomorrow, all game servers should be back up & running.

36. Gekidami

According to the map on the PSBlog it should be working everywhere in the US now.

37. Exzeerex

Updated to 3.61. Same message. Awaiting so I can change password and remove my CC info for the time being ;)

In Denmark btw.

38. Patrick Garratt

Something’s happening. Just got a DNS error message instead of the normal maintenance one. Still can’t sign in, though (France).

39. Gekidami

Still says maintenance for me.

40. isitemoopantz

still not up in the uk yet :(

41. Coheno

This article needs to state Online in the US and Canada, and after 22 days, not a month, in the headline!

Nope no UK or EU, should probably be sometime today i imagine!

42. reask

OK I done the update thingy so can anyone help me with the next stage.
    When it started up I still got the message that an error has occurred blah blah.
    If I go to sign in and change my password will this work or should I wait?
    I went to the link on this article and it is still saying it is under maintenance.
    Thanks in advance.

43. Bluebird

Kaz Hirai for Bond villain: http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/5845/bondvillain.png

44. Goffee

No joy on PSP yet, not an update in sight… Sniff, bet we get left til last, oh well, the joy of being an Xbox/PSP family… http://psp2roundup.blogspot.com/2011/05/psn-coming-back-up-no-joy-for-psp.html

45. bluffbluff03

My update was succesful but here in Germany the PSN still does not work. Con anyone tell me wehen it will be back? And what is it when you are talking about “tomorrow” or “wee hours of sunday”. I dont really understand… :(

46. Nozz

Rumour has it Europe and Japan will be switched on at 10am Eastern Standard Time

So (hopefully) it’ll be in the afternoon in the UK.

47. Mike

Does it work, yet?

48. Ge0force

I could install the update without any problems, but the network is still in maintenance mode here (Belgium)

49. Erthazus

Very well done Video.

In my opinion Kaz Hirai soon is going to be a new CEO of Sony

50. The_Red

Has anyone tried Mortal Kombat online now?

51. Mike

Does it work yet?

52. Bluebird

If you are in the US, yes. Mostly. If not you have to be a bit more patient.

53. TIMCSS

PlayStationEU PlayStation Blog EU
    The phased rollout of certain PSN services has begun and we’ll tweet when each territory goes back online.
    From Twitter

Looks like EU servers are now being started :)

The Playstation Ireland Facebook page is reporting this – “Hi guys, just to clarify some PSN services, including online gameplay, will indeed go live later today (Sunday).”

54. KrazyKraut

ehm..they say” you can download the new firmware and change the password..”
    Okay..fimrware downloaded…but how to change the PW now? I cant log in….

55. Phoenixblight

Read what it says up there. There is a link for you to sign in which after than it will send an email you with instructions to change password.

56. KrazyKraut

“If using a PS3, your password can only be changed on your own PS3 (or a PS3 on which your PSN account was activated), as an added layer of security. If you have never downloaded any content using your account on the system, an email will be sent to the registered sign-in ID (email address) associated with your account when you first attempt to sign-in to PSN. This e-mail will contain a link that will enable you to change your password. In this email, click on the link and follow the instructions to change your password. Once you have changed your password you can sign-in to your account using your new password.”

yep…but I used all three accounts to buy/download things on my first PS3 there…so it means no e-mail? and i tried on all three accounts to log-in..and got no e-mail. sorry…maybe I am really stupid now^^

57. Detale

As I understand it, if you’ve ever purchased anything from PSN then you will have to change your password via your PS3 when PSN access is restored later today. You won’t get an email.

But I could have completely misunderstood the whole process.

58. AHA-Lambda

just to double check i cant change my password yet until PSN actually comes up in the UK yea? =/

59. Phoenixblight

I turned on the PS3 and went to sign in and made me change the password automatically. I have also bought stuff through the PSN.

60. NeoSquall

@56 Since PSN isn’t back up in Europe yet and you’re still trying hard to connect, yes, you do sound pretty stupid.

@57 Nope, you’re right.

61. Jan

Guys keep a eye on their twitter, they will tweet when you’re area is up

62. KrazyKraut

@Neo
    yo.., they wrote in praesentia:” download the firmware and change your pw”
    and in the same text is shit written about that they restore it now.
    “We restore it atm, please be patient. in meantime download fw and change pw”

so..just follow the worldwide gramma rules

63. Jan

PlayStation Blog EU
    Clarification: you can download system software 3.61 now and you will be able to change your password when PSN is restored in your country.

64. G1GAHURTZ

Finally!

Oh no, not yet…

65. Johnny Cullen

It’s back ‘fo sure in the UK, Ireland and the Middle-East.

66. Jan

IT WORKS!!!!

PlayStation Blog EU
    We’re now going live with certain PSN services in the UK, Ireland and the Middle East.

67. Razor

I just signed in.

I JUST SIGNED IN!!

68. Dimaco

(┬░-┬░) <– this is me waiting to be able to sign in…

69. Exzeerex

Next up is Scandinavia, right? RIGHT?

70. Gekidami

lol Middle East before Central Europe.

71. Dimaco

@70 Yeah, now that’s demotivational!

72. Gama_888

Thankyou Sony :)

Hopefully it will remain unhacked.

Going to have a little game of MW2 to celebrate it being back ;)

73. Lesh26

Nice hope you guys are having fun/have been revived! lol I shall wait til tomorrow when my PS3 Slim comes through been as my orinal PS3 decided to stop reading discs mid week! -_- Once again have fun!

74. Mike

So, does it work yet?

75. TraceableX

Now I can play some MGO. Middle-Eastern here :D

76. galaxy366

So i life in Holland, My brother removed my account from the ps3 sometime ago. Now i want to redeem my portal 2 code, can he then sign in with my account? but it needs a new password so how?…

Thx for helping me ^^

77. Phoenixblight

You can’t have Portal 2 on the PC then. One) You go to Steam to put the code in and then you have to access your PS3 and activate the code from there. SO you need the PS3 for that

2) You can change the password from the PC link up top then you have to wait until you receive an email telling you have to change your pw. It took 3 hours for me to get that email but by that time I just went on the PS3 to do so.

78. galaxy366

Hmm… Don’t know if i explained it right.
    The PS3 has profile’s, one is his, and one is mine. On my profile he removed my psn account ( not deleted ) but just removed. So to redeem the code i have to sign with my account on PSN. The thing i would like to know is, ”Is that possible?” as it will mean that i will sign in with my old password.

Maybe i just didn’t understand or something else, hope you don’t mind :)

79. Phoenixblight

Have to change your password and then once that is fixed you have to go to Portal 2on the PS3 to link your PSN account to the steam account you used the Portal 2 code.

80. Patrick Garratt

It’s up in France now.

81. galaxy366

Ah, now i see ^^, Thx!
    Let’s hope holland is after france :P

82. Gekidami

Ah good. Just changed my password.

83. Crab of Thunder

Heres to hoping that the amount of traffic flooding onto the servers won’t crash it :D.

84. Johnny Cullen

Mainland Europe’s starting to get it, according to EU PS Twitter.

85. galaxy366

Hehe :D, would be funny, but also a big setback.

86. Patrick Garratt

Yep, it’s working. Playing Killzone 3 now.

87. Gekidami

They say that:
    “#PSN services are now being restored in Europe, New Zealand, Australia, Mexico and South America.”

So everywhere, that isnt Asia.

88. rrw

^ middle east is asia

89. Gekidami

Fine then, everywhere that isnt the ‘far east’.

90. Moonwalker1982

Good to know, i hope the hacker won’t strike again cause the whole situation was just lame as hell. I’m not a frequent user of PSN, so i wasn’t too bothered by it. But it’s good that its back. I really wonder about what games we will be able to choose from.

91. NeoSquall

Ok, it’s up but I can’t change the password because the server are going bananas from the traffic.

Well, I’ll wait for tomorrow then, I’m glad it’s finally up.

92. NightCrawler1970

I signed it, it works, but no Plus member…. that sony promissed…

93. Crab of Thunder

@92 I think you’ll be rewarded with all the goodies when the Store is back online, which at the moment it isn’t.

94. NeoSquall

@92 the Plus membership will be given once there will SOMETHING to use it on (i.e.: the PlayStation Store).
    Don’t be a prick.

latest update: my PS3 told me PSN is under maintenance, again. yay!

95. Schindet Nemo

^

Enabling plus now while the store is offline and nobody could actually use its benefits would just piss people off. We’ll have to wait till May 31st I’m afraid.

96. NightCrawler1970

@93, It better be…. want to upgrade MAG with maps…. and slots…

97. Crab of Thunder

@96 You’ll get what you are bloody given! :P

98. dravenkaze

@94 i get the same :(

99. Razor

Down again :(

100. Lazerate

yh the psn is down for me lool. i played brothehood,,super street fighter4 and uncharted 2 for a bit. signed out for like 30 mins came back, now its telling me psn maintenance???

101. tribes33

If it says “PS3 online play back in EU and US after mid-April hack”,why can’t I still play with my friend online? I still can’t login to PSN.

102. Gekidami

Twitter says:
    “Please bear with us as we continue working on #PSN restoration. We are experiencing extremely heavy traffic.”

103. Psychotext

Le sigh.

104. Gama_888

LOL, we brought it down this time haha

105. jdfoster00

@101 “Acknowledged. There is a problem with PSN in the latest countries we rolled out to (except UK, IRE & ME). We’re dealing with it. Due top heavy traffic it may take some time for the recent EU country’s to get fully online (some users can’t sign in to psn due to very heavy traffic)” Don’t worry xD not all regions have it on yet anyway everywhere has it on atm but some country’s are having psn problems so just wait til it’s on :)

106. jdfoster00

“I know PSN is down for maintenance. @PlayStationEU reports its just heavy traffic. You’re all too eager :) Bare with it” Direct quote from PS STORE OPERATIONS MANAGER. :) Just wait. I think the servers are bit over stretached when 75 million people are trying to sign in at one haha xD

107. reask

Just played a bit of KZ3 on line so Ireland is up and running. :)
    Bear with it as I reckon it will be up to full speed very quickly.

108. Gama_888

Its bak on now peoples :)
    (UK)

109. NightCrawler1970

Had e-mail fom Sony, that my password is correct changed and received… i play MAG later at night….when kiddies need sleep for school :P

110. clouds era

woo yea its back on! good job sony :)

111. sg1974

I get error 80710D36 in UK :(

112. AHA-Lambda

@111- so do i. I cant login =/

113. Alakratt

@111 and 112

sucks to be you guys, i can login just fine. US here

114. sg1974

Just found out it means servers are swamped, keep trying and eventually you get there

115. Brenna Hillier

I’ve updated the post with confirmation of delays to password reset emails.

116. Stereojet

UK isn’t back up, it’s still gimped. Sucks that the land of the xbox buyers (USA) get switch on priority.

They are not loyal Sony customers.

117. Phoenixblight

Are you absolutely sure of that?

118. Blerk

Hmm… doesn’t seem to be on, does it? Did they check the fuses?

119. Patrick Garratt

Isn’t it on in the UK? I was playing games on it in France last night.

120. Blerk

I’m trying to change my password and the UK PSN site says “offline” and won’t let me log in.

121. Gekidami

I’m playing SOCOM 4 right now. There was some traffic problems last night but its working now as far as i can see.

122. Blerk

Well that’s odd. Maybe they turned off web-based logins to favour the gamers or something.

Oh well.

123. Johnny Cullen

I’m definitely still signed in (i left it on all night, leaving a movie on repeat), and one of my friends has just signed in. So it’s definitely back. It’s probably just teething problems at the mo with traffic, nothing else.

124. Lesh26

@Blerk – Go to the US site/blog site. I did one of mines there.

However due to traffic, some emails are taking their sweet time, or not getting through.

125. Blerk

Ah, right – that works, does it? I might do that in a bit, then – cheers.

126. Telepathic.Geometry

Still no sign of it coming back here in Japan. ;_;

127. Baloota

it works in the middle east.

128. Telepathic.Geometry

Dang. I’m full east. >.<

129. NeoSquall

It’s working in Italy: I just signed in, changed the password and synched my trophies.

130. ManuOtaku

Guys iam in Venezuela (South America), and i was full with rejoice when the update 3.61 appear on the screen, but so far after that I get error 80710D36, therefore cannot loggin to the PSN, any news about this continent?, keep in mind when i did create the account i did it with the U.S configuration.
    P.S it did run the Update but didn ask me for the new password the only thing it was the error. ****shrugs******

131. Bluebird

13 hours ago:

Probably “soon” then.

132. ManuOtaku

#131 thanks for the link mate, but now iam more worried, that maybe is just my PS3 o_O, or maybe is the high traffic, hope today at night can login.

133. frostquake

Finally, just the Morning was I able to sign in a change my password. The Network Congestion must be extremely heavy right now.

I went into PS Home, most of the spaces are sparsely populated right now. Of course you can’t buy anything, and almost all Home games are offline, but it is a start in the right direction.

Of course, I deleted CC information, though the CC was cancelled when they shut it down a month ago. I will only be using PSN cards from now on.

You are able to go into your download history and see everything that was downloaded from your account. My Download History looks perfectly fine, so it doesn’t look like any funds have been taken out of my account.

So the Healing process has begun, and I look forward to it being 100%.

134. YoungZer0

H-Home? People are actually using Home?

135. frostquake

@134 I actually have started enjoying Home, it has quite a bit of Potential. I like the Sodium One Hub, and enjoy playing the The Hover Craft game, and the Novus Space MMO, has quite a bit of potential as well! I was playing Free Realms as well, though it is a little kiddy for my taste.

I can see where they are heading with it, and what they want it to become. It would be a great place for games like Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, WoW, and Starcraft.

I will admit, I do enjoy my Home Spaces….And since they are Adding Arcade Cabinets and Pool Tables and such that you can place in your Home Spaces, I am enjoying that as well.

Home actually has quite a bit of potential!