Video: New Diablo III trailer shows off follower system, giant hand laser

Friday, 13th May 2011 07:11 GMT By Nathan Grayson

After a bit of leak-based kerfufflery, Blizzard’s “officially” released a trailer of Diablo III’s follower system, which pairs you up with the NPC companion of your wildest dreams. Well, if those dreams adhere to fairly standard RPG classes and include some form of appearance-changing upgrade system. Our dreams involve tigers made out lightning. Or lightning made out of tigers. We forget which. At any rate, you know the drill: the break. After it. Go there.

1. noherczeg

How can it be, that i’m in no way impressed with this… (Played D2 back then for 2-3 years almost constantly).

2. mojo

coz it looks like WoW
    this is just sad.

dehyped!

3. Erthazus

World Of warcraft design. A bit dissapointed in that, considering the atmosphere and setting

4. TheWulf

Guh. Typical Blizzard art direction, that is, it’s horrible. Diablo II looked better, even, at least that had some kind of character of its own. And that’s something a game needs – character. This has none. It’s, as mentioned, very WoW-like, but WoW is not Diablo.

Worse is that there have been a number of indie and mainstream ARPGs which look so much better than this, including Magicka, Torchlight, Darkspore, Titan Quest, and more. All of those have a stronger visual identity than this game does. Worse is that it looks haphazard and sloppy, there are some things that just stand out like they don’t belong in the video I’m looking at.

There’s barely any lighting and shadow there at all, and things that should be models are just flat textures… why is that? Is it perhaps that Blizzard don’t have enough money to develop proper art assets?

The models are so low-fidelity that they look like something from Everquest or Minions of Mirth. I’m not a graphics whore, I’m all about art direction, but you need to have some level of graphical proficiency to pull off decent art direction, and ArenaNet managed that back in ’05 with Guild Wars. Go look up some Guild Wars: Prophecies videos, then compare and contrast.

I just can’t get over how flat and horrible the player models look.

And look at those orange ogre things, they’re much brighter than anything around them, they almost look nuclear, but they have no glow or any indication as to why they’re so vibrant against a backdrop of more pastel colours. It makes them look like they’re walking on top of a very amateur painting rather than actually belonging to that image.

The textures look muddy, the animations are nothing to write home about…

Really Blizzard?

Really?

There’s just no excuse for something to look like a budget title from the late ’90s these days. Even indie titles are doing better for themselves than this, this is… is it a joke? Have I fell through some sort of timewarp to April 1st 2012? Is this all just some clever charade and they’ve got the real game waiting on the sidelines? Boy, they sure fooled me! …but it’s not a joke, is it?

How could they have spent so long working on this and ended up with something that looks so amazingly, stunningly awful? I don’t know. I just don’t know. I don’t want to think about it, and I’m not touching this with a barge pole.

I’d give this some leeway if it were an indie title, but with the amount of money that Blizzard has, this is completely inexcusable.

5. TheWulf

You know why this is, right? Blizzard North was responsible for Diablo I and Diablo II. They left Blizzard due to not liking the corporate atmosphere, went their own separate ways, and created two new development groups. Can you guess the names of those two developers?

ArenaNet (Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2) and Runic Games (Torchlight).

Thaaat’s where all the talent went. All of it. Clearly. I’m honestly aghast at this. I thought it was going to be bad but this is simply terrible.

6. Maximum Payne

^^ Those any of those game have dark atmosphere or something like Diablo 2?
    Not to mention Torchlight which look like D3.
    Also graphic on outdoor like grass is so low res they are one of biggest studio on world and they cant enchant graphic little bit?

7. mojo

the more i think of it the more im disapointet.

I would have never thought im gonna say this, but im seriously considering not to get this game.
    The character window is a punch in the face.

i hope there will be some talented modding group that will deal with this piece of plastic..
    strip d2 graphics over this thing and im ok with it, but this does nothing for me at all.

8. noherczeg

#5

Wow, how ironic, Torchlight2 will be instabuy, so will be GW2 for me. I knew about Runic’s connection with Blizzard, but newer would’ve guessed that ArenaNet was once related to them.

Back to topic: how come Blizz didn’t even considered what did the core fans tried to lighten up to them? I mean, each and every one of my friends said the exatc same thing as every raging man does: no darkness, potion cd, bullcrap characters, etc..

Yet they didn’t even tried to fix any of the above mentioned things. Are they really following the Activision line this hard? Marketing will sell it, and they don’t even give a damn about what do people who made them that big say, quality isn’t an issue more?

WoW has been ruined log time ago, SCII was meh, now D3 pretty much seems to suck balls also.

Guess the world is heading on a different path than one would expect. :(

9. SwiftRanger

You guys are funny, try to get informed I’d say (check diabloii.net for the best coverage imo) because these comments are pretty unbelievable.

The style could be less WoW yeah, but the game itself seems through and through Diablo to me. The devs actually try to improve the flaws of DII (which had loads of them) rather than stick to them like SCII unfortunately did.

10. OlderGamer

Reminds me of the gameplay in Sacred2 mixed in with the cartoon look of WoW. Meaning that it looks sloppy and underwhelming.

Where is the dark edgyness that the first two games had? And I know they wanted to zoom in to show of chars, but I played zoomed out, way out. Show me that and a screen full of baddies.

I am with you guys, Tourchlight2 and GW2 will be preordered as soon as they hit Steam. Gonna wait a bit on this game. And I played D2 for years, and most recently about a month ago.

11. TheWulf

Instead of dismissing what people have to say, do some comparisons and see for yourself.

Here are some things for you to look up:

- Torchlight
    - Titan Quest
    - Darkspore
    - Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale
    - Diablo II
    - Magicka
    - Guild Wars

Now the latter isn’t strictly an ARPG, but it is from 2005, so it’s a helpful comparison. And Daggerdale isn’t actually all that great visually, which is why that’s also helpful. And the reason for Diablo II being there should be obvious.

Now take any game from the above list and compare it with Diablo III, you’ll find that the game you’re comparing Diablo III with has a stronger visual identity and better art direction, quality control, and production values.

How an ARPG looks is of massive importance, since the gameplay usually plays second fiddle to the environments you’re in, and/or hero customisation.

Sorry.

12. jldoom

Idk, I’m not saying that I’m accepting the visuals but let’s face it guys. It’s Diablo 3. If my PC is up and running by the time the game comes out I’m definitely going to give it a whirl. I’ll go for gameplay > graphics any day honestly as long as it doesn’t look like I’m playing diablo 1, I don’t mind the WoW like graphics.

13. TheWulf

You know, the gameplay over graphics argument amazes and amuses me, both equally at the same time, it’s baffling and bewildering, confounding and confusing, it–okay, I’ll stop that now.

Really though, it’s been ages since Blizzard has done anything even remotely resembling ‘gameplay’ so I just don’t get that. Diablo III is by Blizzard, not Blizzard North, so the mechanics are probably going to be very WoW like, that is to say uninspired and unimaginative but designed to hook anyone foolish enough to try to get into it.

Bloody hell, they work on marketing power alone, it’s amazing. I’m almost lost for words at this. How can you look at a Blizzard game these days and even begin to think of it as fun? Unless you’re one of those poor sods without any kind of a life who spends most of his time raiding in WoW and believing that’s fun because it’s all he knows?

I’d be fine with the graphics over gameplay argument, but I’ll note again that I’m talking about art direction here, and for the gameplay to outshine how dreadful the lack of artistry is, the mechanics of the core game would have to be incredibly fun and unique.

Blizzard? Fun? Unique? Does not compute.

I just wish people would stop throwing money at Blizzard because there’s better stuff out there, there seriously is, it’s all just a marketing sham, it’s Zynga for the mainstream. Shrug off the peer pressure of other lifeless souls and try something else! You might find that you’ll have even more fun!

But honestly, Blizzard used to be fun, some time prior to Warcraft (not the MMO), and there was that thing with Blizzard North, they were fun, but other than that?

Well… I suppose the only way you can find Blizzard fun is if you deny yourself exposure to any other games.

Sadly, some people do that.

My advice? Give Torchlight II a try when it rolls around instead.

I wouldn’t be so irritable about this, but it’s the ultimate success of marketing that gets me down, it’s like Zynga, it’s just so much proof that you don’t have to make a game that looks artistically beautiful or fun, you can just convince people it’s fun and then you’ll have a few million apologists running around telling people how awesome your game is.

Blargh.

If they made awesome games, I could get behind them, but Blizzard Output = Farmville.

14. Phoenixblight

Wulf

seriously we don’t need you throwing your opinions as if they are law or as if you are the only one that gets “it”. I have enjoyed SC2, WOW, and most likely D3 so get over it.

The whole point of playing games is to have fun and if Blizzard, Crytek, Runic can make a game that is fun then they are doing their fucking job. No one needs you trolling because thats what you are practically doing throwing a tantrum because people like Blizzard’s game. Go play the games you like and just leave it alone.