Obsidian won’t make New Vegas mistakes in Dungeon Siege III

Wednesday, 11th May 2011 07:19 GMT By Jessica Citizen

Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart has admitted to agreeing with everybody else – Fallout: New Vegas would have been better if it was less “glitchy”.

Fallout: New Vegas - Vault Boy

“In the case of Fallout: New Vegas, we made a gigantic game, and I’m proud with what we were able to do but I wish it wasn’t as glitchy when it came out,” Urquhart explained to Play magazine (summed up on Now Gamer). “The criticisms people had are fair but it’s difficult to get a game the size of New Vegas bug free. But that’s an excuse and it doesn’t matter when someone’s paid $60 for a game. It’s something we need to work on.”

To his credit, the company is taking the feedback in stride, encouraging developers to work harder on the upcoming release of Dungeon Siege III.

“We’ve been playing and playing and playing and playing to ensure it’s of a high standard,” he observes, commenting that using Obsidian’s own technology on the game has given them a head-start – the developers already know where the bad bugs will be lurking.

The full interview is in Play Issue 205, which hits newsagents this week – and is also available on iTunes, if you’re into that sort of thing.

1. RockTwist

I hope this is a turning point for Obsidian, personally. I like the stories and settings in their games a lot, yet bugs have always (somewhat) spoiled the games they make for me, a little at least.

The quick look of Dungeon Siege 3 on Giantbomb has me looking forward to it more than I was.

2. HauntaVirus

I pre-ordered New Vegas and it’s the biggest pile of shit I’ve ever come across. Why would this game be any different… I won’t be buying another Obsidian developed game. You fooled me once…

3. Blerk

Alpha Protocol was a ‘bit wonky’ too. They have some great ideas, but stability definitely needs work.

4. Gadzooks!

I experienced only a couple of bugs in my 80 hours of playing Fallout:NV.

One invisible enemy and one console lockup, that was it.

Personally I loved every minute of NV, and thought Dead Money was a superb add-on.

When you have such scope and freedom in a game, sometimes you just have to accept the limits of what can be tested.

5. Kerplunk

@3 Totally agree on Alpha Protocol. The russian boss fight is fairly broken (and quite a gameplay difficulty spike). The rest of the game is huge trashy fun. I think the implementation of the timed, branching dialog parts of the game are especially good. Would love to see BioWare do something on that level. Very underrated game, what it lacks in polish it more than makes up for in dumb fun.

Kinda curious about Dungeon Siege 3. I like a decent dungeon hack. I recently played through Torchlight which was pretty decent but kind of let itself go in the last few levels. DS3 should be good to last until Diablo 3 hits.

6. Moxifool

The Russian fight in AP is broken in so far as if you don’t have the right specialisation (pistols with master chain shot) then you are pretty much fucked. If you do have the right abilities though, the fight becomes a total joke; merely requiring you to spam chain shot on the head of the boss, stay in cover and then start running when he comes toward you all the while you are burning through the cooldown of your chain shot ability. Rinse and repeat and the boss falls over. Still a massively shit encounter though.

7. James Mac

@6 I did it with SMG’s and unarmed combat.

8. ianos

Not to be a massive shill (but I am), but he also talks a fair bit about Alpha Protocol in the interview too. It’s really interesting.

I mean, I would say that, I did the bloody thing. But still.

9. ManuOtaku

#3 #5 , I did also like Alpha Protocol a lot, and i dont understand the criticisim this game had, mainly becuase for me the first mass effect was in the same level of buginess than this one, and the press give the axe to Alpha while eleveting mass effect, dont get me wrong mass effect was a great game, and for me alpha protocol is on the same level, even for me alpha protocol was the spy version of mass effect on earth.

10. Edo

#9That’s a good one!

11. BraveArse

Is Alpha Protocol patched into something that works now? I’d love to try it out but all the talk of game breaking bugs put me off.

12. TheWulf

The funny part is that New Vegas was actually less buggy than Fallout 3, and as someone who’s played both and looked at the code of both, I can say this objectively. What was even funnier was that you could see where Obsidian had patched in workarounds for things, and even got fed up with Bethesda’s mess via comments and the tricks they had to pull just to make things work. That was hilarious. The code is worth firing up the GECK to read.

Of course, it’s only ‘buggier’ than Fallout 3 because Obsidian has less marketing clout than Bethesda. Imagine that.