A few details for Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand come to light

Tuesday, 10th May 2011 17:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE’s junior product manager, Tommy Rydling, has partially detailed the first expansion pack planned for Battlefield 3, Back to Karkand, and has included an small Q&A on the blog with lead designer Niklas Fegraeus and co-op lead designer, David Spinnier.

The pack, which will be free to anyone who pre-orders the game, includes Wake Island, Strike at Karkand, Gulf of Oman, and the Sharqi Peninsula which,according to DICE, have all been played over 25,000 years combined by players.

“These are evidently some of the very best maps we have ever built,” said Fegraeus in the post. “We have unquestionable data and feedback from the community saying so. You would be crazy turning down the chance to boost your game with these classic multiplayer maps.

“From a gameplay perspective, destruction is the biggest addition compared to the original map in Battlefield 2 back in 2005. I remember this particular building by the square in the original where players could defend very effectively. Now, with the destructive power of Frostbite 2, someone can just RPG that building and expose the defenders within. At the same time, we need to be careful not to add destruction that breaks the tried and tested game flow of the map.”

The post goes on to say that Back to Karkand will also include Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles as well as new unlocks and persistence, and more content which will be disclosed at a later date.

Next week, another blog post on Back to Karkand will hit the Battlefield Blog, so be sure and check that out.

Battlefield 3 launches this fall for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

Thanks, StolenGlory.

1. mojo

right, so its official.
    the first game where more info is know about mp dlc than about the actual mp itself.

Realy, this is anoying me!

SHOW SOME MP FOOTAGE OR GTFO
    this is getting ridicoulus.
    seriously

2. GwynbleiddiuM

Still waiting for a Steam pre-purchase!

@Mojo, I think they are saving the big surprise for E3. So, be a lil more patient

3. nofear360

@1: You mad bro?

4. Erthazus

I want to see Multiplayer footage too :D

5. Yoshi

Just so you know, it’s worth while going to the battlefield blog as it also has a screenshot :D

6. deadstoned

E3 They’ll show us tons, but til then they can only tease with this stuff :-/ . Ahh well better than nothing.

@2GwynbleiddiuM I expect it’ll go on steam for pre-order about 2months-2weeks before its release. EA like to keep their stuff off steam as long as possible, so you that you’ll buy from the EA store :( .

7. nofear360

@5 A piece of concept art to be more precise (still a screen, I know).

8. Yoshi

@7 Yeh I just saw (I was reading it before), not a screenshot but a concept art screen.

9. Moonwalker1982

From a far it looks like a screenshot but when in full resolution, it’s concept art. I hope we’ll finally see console footage of BF2 mp mode.

10. GwynbleiddiuM

Who gives a damn about consoles when you can play it in +1080p with MAXIMUM details +prone and 64 player maps…

11. Hunam

@11 You could, I can’t. My lower-midrange PC might just explode if I try and run the game.

12. Erthazus

@10, no. No no no!!!

You can play it on 2560×1600 resolution with AA, MLAA, 60 frames per second with DEDICATED SERVERS and yeah… 64 players :D

13. GwynbleiddiuM

@11 well then you better hurry up and upgrade to something more descent.

@12 I gotta get me an expensive and precise mouse for this. Waas gonna purchase Razer Naga (cuz I play MMO and need helluva lot macros and for some reason it seems I can’t get enough of them) now the Logitech G700 is more sexy looking to my eyes :D. But yeah you’re right and 3D and Eyefinity too. :D MOD MOD MOD…

14. NeoSquall

@12 and PRONE.

15. tontsa91

We haven’t seen a single screenshot of the actual multiplayer and we already know everything about the DLC. SOMONE PLEASE save the gaming industry from this bullshit. I really hope BF3 delivers.