EU PSN members to get free games with Sony’s Welcome Back program

Friday, 6th May 2011 22:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has announced on the EU PS Blog that as well as offering data protection services endemic to each region, it will also be offering PSN users two free games from a list of five titles as part of a Welcome Back program. PSP users will be able to choose from a list of four. The program, which is an apology for the recent PSN hack, will also containĀ the previously announced month of free PlayStation Plus membership for all PSN customers, and a free extension to current Plus and Music Unlimited customers. More consolation prizes are expected to be announced soon.

1. NeoSquall

Too bad I just purchased my PSP yesterday, so I think the PSP account I will create once the PSN is up won’t be part of this Welcome Back Program :D

2. Nozz

The press conference with the bowing etc was enough!

I wonder if they’ll offer any third party titles?

3. LOLshock94

please be odd world sony if it is i will a ps3 fanboy for ever

4. Blerk

That’s pretty generous on the game giveaways! I hope they’re not all rubbish/stuff I already have.

5. Bloodyghost

Im surprised that TEA hasnt bowed down to Sony about this news.

Its VERY thoughtful. Sony is seriously doing some great stuff to buy back the angry gamers. Hopefully this never happens again for any company.

6. ngd91

Well its certainly needed because its getting pretty ridiculous how long it is taking considering we were told we would definitely get PSN back by the end of this week, which doesn’t look likely. I feel like i’ve been kicked out of eden!

7. Blerk

I dunno about ‘thoughtful’. The whole thing’s been a PR disaster, they need an over-the-top compensation scheme to try and claw some of that back. Nothing like buckets of free stuff to help people forget how cross they were.

8. Moonwalker1982

I wonder which games we’re talking about here. Cool though. When will PSN be back?

9. Kerplunk

@5 Why do you feel the need to make remarks about a member of the community who hasn’t even made a comment in this article?

I’ve read comments from you over the last couple of days about ignoring people or not giving people attention. Yet your post demonstrates exactly the opposite mentality.

I’m seeing a lot of “do as I say, don’t do as I do” behaviour from people that act like they’re so much better than others. When push comes to shove, they usually can’t resist acting in the same manner of those they single out. Let’s hope we see you stand by your principles a little better in future.

ON TOPIC: This seems nice. But just wait for the backlash when people don’t like the choice they’re given. :)

@6 They didn’t promise that. When they mentioned any return of service Sony stressed that it would only be after they were satisfied with whatever security measures they were putting in place.

10. daytripper

@9 why aernt you questioning things like this to other people who do it aswell? i’m not backing up his statement but if one is doing it, pull up others aswell.

as for the gifts, i’ll take some free stuff no problem, the psn + plus subscription is nice.

11. Kerplunk

@10 As a matter of fact I do. Though I read comment #9 with interest as that person had been going out of their way to about how it was so much better not to give certain individuals attention or respond to them. And then they go and do something like that.

12. daytripper

@11 you’re right. my bad, apologies.

13. NeoSquall

Since the only downloadable titles I have are Stacking and Costume Quest and the other titles I have aren’t downloadable (well, except RDR: Undead Nightmare), I’m pretty much open to any game they may offer :D

14. Stoopid_Snot

tbh, it is nice to get something for free, but i have to say, the best thing will be when PSN goes back online

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

WHOA WHOA WHOA HOLD UP

Am i reading this correct that Europe is getting the same thing US is getting (free 30 days of PSN+ and 12 months identity theft protection) IN ADDITION TO the two free games?

Can someone please clarify?

16. lexph3re

Us is getting a year free quirocity

17. neon6

Or they could just let them pick the games they want rather than making their choices hit or miss.

18. Christopher Jack

:D

19. Christopher Jack

I know this won’t be happening, but I wish GT5 & KZ3 are on that list.

20. DrDamn

I’m guessing it will be PSN titles, can’t see them sending out millions of titles by post. Though they may have plenty of copies of SOCOM after it launched just as PSN went down and to middling reviews. Which is a shame as personally I think it’s a great title just based on the SP. Finished the SP campaign last night.

21. OrbitMonkey

To be honest I’d be happy with a couple of Dynamic Themes, come back soon psn I miss you :’(

22. Goffee

Looks like the hackers are having another go this weekend; http://psp2roundup.blogspot.com/2011/05/sonys-playstation-sites-to-get-hacked.html

23. neon6

@23 Old news bro.

24. DrDamn

Not even news if you follow it to the source.

25. Christopher Jack

@21, Nothing’s stopping them from distributing new games digitally, regardless of whether or not it’s already on the store, realistically I expect older or smaller but one can be hopeful.
    The only thing I really care about is when it’ll be back online.

26. Gadzooks!

The PSN+ offer is a slap in the face, an absolute fucking insult. What the hell are Sony smoking, thinking that after having our personal details liberally spewed across the internet, that we would ever want to engage in that joke of an online service again with our details to make purchases?

And how does this compensate all the people getting rid of their PS3′s?

Not only are the PSN+ and free games offers useless to us, but we also have the burden of trying to get a decent trade-in price for the useless lump of plastic when the market is flooded with PS3′s being offloaded.

Trading my Wii for a PS3 was a terrible decision, and even if somehow Sony manage to pull thier heads out thier asses and make a decent console and online service after the crushingly dissapointing PS3/PSN, I’ll never buy anything Sony again because I simply dont like being the victim of constant arrogance, incompetance and now insult.

27. OrbitMonkey

@27 lulz, troll harder little fanboy, go strap a 360 back to your sore arse ;)

28. neon6

Pic related. Has Anon begun launching their DDOS attacks?

29. NeoSquall

@27 kthxbye

30. xino

2 free games?

let me guess…Wipeout HD fury again!

31. Christopher Jack

@27, I guess TEA was right about you.

Microsoft isn’t innocent either, how many millions have had their personal details compromised by simply using Internet Explorer? – Even XBL users faced similar ordeals with legit claims of credit card fraud.

At least Sony is fixing their mistake by;
    -Vastly improving all forms of security including monitoring.
    -Offering each & every user some form of insurance.
    -Providing us with a service similar to Gold(but does more than just allow online access) You call PS+ shit, what does gold offer that regular PSN doesn’t already for free?-Party chat-& what else?
    -Providing us with 2 out of 5 yet to be announced games.

When XBL was out all people got was a weak XBL game. When those affected by credit card fraud caused by half arsed engineering, instead if compensating their damages, they let the matter be solved by courts.

32. nikk900

That’s really cool, I just hope the games are not ones I have from ps+ but I bet they offer wipeout and little big planet.

33. NeoSquall

@33 I’m cool with that, since I have neither of them! :D

34. Stoopid_Snot

so what If I got a PS3 and a PSP, does this mean 4 games all together, 2 for each or pick for only one of them?

35. NeoSquall

@35 Since both PS3 and PSP need separate accounts (or so I understand, I just had a PS3 until thursday), you’ll get the PS3 choice for your PS3 account and the PSP choice for your PSP account.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

36. Esper

#36 You are wrong.
    One PSN ID works on both hardware. I think its very likely you’ll only be given PSP games if you already activated that account with your PSP. Meaning if you accessed the PS Store with your PSP either directly or with MediaGo at least once before the hack even if its to download a demo then its activated. Vice versa with PS3. If both are activated for that one ID then you get all 4.

37. AsILayDying

Hopefully they won’t be something I already own!

38. Tizzo86

EU NOT US ….i want two extra games as well

39. NeoSquall

@37 er… I don’t get it.
    I’ll put it simply: I have a PS3 and recently a PSP.
    Until the attacks I used the PSN on my PS3 and couldn’t use it on the PSP for obvious reasons. When it comes up will I have to create another account to use the PSP or can I use my actual account?

40. Gekidami

You can use the same PSN account.

41. NeoSquall

Does this mean that, once the network is up and the WB program rolls out, I’ll be able to download the games for both the platforms? Sweet

42. Gekidami

No idea, all i know is that your PS3 PSN account and PSP PSN account are indeed the same. Not sure if Sony will limit the choice to either PS3 or PSP games or let us have 2 of each.

43. Esper

Its simple you have to tie your PS3 account to your PSP. Using your PS3 account log-in from the PSP or MediaGo. Once you do, your PS3 account will recognize that you have both PS3 and PSP.

44. Stoopid_Snot

I think it will be Mac adress limitation as well, my GF got an account on my PS3 as well, if it is for every PSN account before the attack then it means 4 games for o ne consol, so once again, i think there will be an Mac address limitation

45. InfamousValdon

EU lucked out hard we get PS+ free for 30 days here in Canada which is an insult, and in the EU they get 2 free games, really thats good for EU users but we in the Americas, which makes up most of the PSN users get shit really. Fuck Sony Goofy Bastards.

46. InfamousValdon

How can they justify only giving EU users free games, we already get free music from beemp3 and mp3 skull why would America region users need free Quirocity, this is an outrage, I don’t want that Quirocity shit, we should have the choice atleast for the 2 free games or the year free Quirocity as should the EU.