SEGA Saturn classic Guardian Heroes being remastered for Xbox Live

Thursday, 5th May 2011 14:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SEGA has announced the a re-release of Guardian Heroes, the action-RPG fighter from Treasure, and it’s coming to Xbox Live.

The game’s original release was on SEGA Saturn way back in 1996, and the re-release of it for XBL has been remastered with “enhanced graphics, online co-op and battle modes, all-new modes of play, and more.”

“Ever since we began to make SEGA’s classic Dreamcast and the Mega Drive titles available for modern systems, the fan response has been overwhelming – and the demand for their favorite games has been pouring in,” said Haruki Satomi, VP of digital business at SEGA. “Players have been clamoring for this treasured favorite from the Saturn days, and we cannot wait to show them what we have got for them.”

Here’s the details:

• Action-RPG Brawling: Choose one of five heroes to level up and guide along a branching storyline with five different endings.
  • Friends, Foes, and Fighters: Play the game’s Story Mode alone or with a second player, or challenge Versus Mode with up to 12 players at once.
  • Extended Gameplay: Time Attack Mode, Arcade Mode, Arrange Mode and more allow players to explore every nuance of 45 different fighters.
  • Fully Re-Mastered: All-new graphics and visual effects bring the classic to life in a completely high-definition, widescreen presentation.

Guardian Heroes will be made available this fall.

Thanks, mingtons ghost.

[pic]

1. DJ Deathstar

OMFGWTFOMGFTW!!!!!!!!

FUCKKKKKKKKKK I CAN’T WAIT!

Anyone who has never played it needs to! Great memories of me and my brother playing through co-op and the battle mode!

2. StolenGlory

Holy shit.

Like, really. Holy shit.

:O

3. abnormal alan

that has actually made my day haha

looks like we’l be playing this game far to much all over again.

FAT VILLAGER FTW

and if it looked like the picture at the top it’d be amazing. Now they just need to release Dark Saviour and i’ll be a happy man

4. Blerk

I have to admit that despite recognising the title, I actually have no idea what it is.

5. abnormal alan

DJ Deathstar i’ve just realised you were only like 7 when this came out haha

6. Man_s

#2 My words exactly :)

I have been praising this game to my friends for years, especially after the fun we all had with Castle Crashers. This cannot come soon enough! Awesome news.

7. DJ Deathstar

@Alan
    The fat villager was such a cheating character it was unreal! Able to move inbetween planes and a stupidly powerful punch! Yeah i was only 7! I remember the day you got this! Watched that Freaks film with Bill from Bill & Ted if i remember correctly?

@Blerk

Its possibly the best side scrolling beat em up to ever exist! You move your character across 3 planes similar to LBP and each of the branching storylines has you going to completely different areas with different bosses for each.

8. Blerk

I feel a YouTube coming on.

9. abnormal alan

FUCK YEAH

10. theevilaires

FUCKING AWESOME! DAY 1 BUY! This was my favorite Saturn game. I hope its still fun like it was so many years ago. HD and online co-op are welcomed features :)

11. abnormal alan

@DJ

that was indeed the day I got it haha.

yeah the different paths aren’t the rubbish you get now they completely change the game for example one route a character might be the main villain the other route he could be on your side

12. ManuOtaku

The sega saturn console alongside with the ps1 are the only consoles i didnt own, and for that i didnt played any games on those, so seeing the good comments this game is geting from fellow gamers, iam quite happy too, i hope they will be bringing more saturn games.

13. StolenGlory

Loving the idea of this – hopefully the PSN folk get a version at some point not to far after too.

14. OlderGamer

Just my luck I picked up a 80usd used copy of Gaurdian Hereos a few weeks ago. All good, one of the greatest games of all time, imo.

15. abnormal alan

@Oldergamer

totally agree. I think the only game i’ve played more than this is the original Goldeneye and I doubt there’s a lot in it

16. Blerk

Hmm… I… er… guess you had to be there.

17. abnormal alan

Blerk you’re an uncultured swine

18. Blerk

Heh heh. I never really ‘got’ Sega.

19. Fin

I am 24 and what is this

Also:

Dear Sega,
    Please release PSO v2 on XBLA.
    Thanks!
    Me

20. OlderGamer

I would flip out for redone PSOv2 on xbla.

I still play PSO:

PSOBB on PC
    PSO epI+II plus on GC/Wii
    PSO epI+II on Xbox

And even Phantasy Star Portable 1 and 2 on PSP.

Next to Civ PSO is one of my all time favs.

21. Blerk

Er… you excited types might not be quite so excited if these screenshots are real. :shock:

22. Gekidami

^ Looks like it was drawn in felt-tip, by a 13 year old.

23. OlderGamer

Thats eye candy to me Blerk. I don’t know looks fine to me.

24. Blerk

Really? I thought they looked horrible compared to the original.

25. Kabby

Yeah those shots look awful.

26. Fin

I recently discovered PSO BB on Schthack, it’s unreal (lvl 16 HUnewearl, I think).
    Must give it a spin with a 360 controller at the weekend <3

27. OlderGamer

The shots don’t look super slick, but they aren’t bad, imo. Time will tell I guess.

Fin I had a 178 hunter a bit back on the very same server. Been thinking about rejoining and starting fresh.

28. Epic Fool

HELL YEAH! :D

29. Epic Fool

As long as you can turn that awful graphics filter Blerk linked to off anyway…

If not I will kill everyone.

Except my cat.

30. lexph3re

Hey og can you play pso on original xbox still?

31. Epic Fool

no, i checked out that site, can’t because of the whole xbox live thing…

32. lexph3re

Smh… that’s one of the worst ideas I think ms ever had to stop live support on the original xbox and only focus on 360 live. They could’ve really made a killing on both at the same time. And, they rendered the old system/ games obsolete. I would’ve gladly paid the live bill for some pso right now

33. Custard Ganet

Awesome this and Third Strike Online are gonna be great on XBL this year.

34. Epic Fool

and radiant silvergun! =)

moar treasure plz