Quick Quotes: Dennis Dyack hopes PSN hack doesn’t “undermine people’s confidence” in digital

Thursday, 5th May 2011 20:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“It’s very concerning and I think getting as much information out there – factual information out there as soon as possible is good. I know, personally, I just changed all my passwords because I was an active user of the PSN and I didn’t even want to take a chance. I just started changing all my passwords. It’s concerning from an industry standpoint… digital distribution is the future of our industry and that’s what PSN is and I hope it doesn’t undermine people’s confidence in that delivery medium.” – Silicon Knights founder Denis Dyack voicing his though on the PSN breach via Industry Gamers.

1. theevilaires

No it won’t because the same assholes trying to bring SONY down still have their credit cards attached to their LIVE/itunes/Amazon/Windows OS anything accounts.

PSN will be back soon and all will be good again. When they find the hackers who did this and they get sentence to prison I will find out where they being held and pay the 12 strongest Black guys in the prison to analy rape them and take pics doing it. Then I will post them all over the net as a reminder to those who support these bastards that cyber terrorism is no laughing matter.

2. loveaya

This could be a news…Just a twitte,maybe…

3. ManuOtaku

Man for me it does, because know iam more concern about digital distribution of games, seeing what did happen to Sony with the PSN outage makes me believe that this could happen to digital games, some hackers can make believe the system that i didnt bought the game, or erase the transaction so i need to purchase the game again , or i dont know this worse than that, right now is a big concern to me, i always did prefer physical media, but now i do more, yes it can be damage or stolen but man, right now i have a collection of 500+ games since the NES and till this day they are working fine and still kicking.

That and the downloading speeds, we need better speeds for this to happen, it took me almost two days to download the DC united game on the ps3, and that game was on a disc, i dont know how much it dowloaded but is not more than 10 gb, that means that a full game like metal gear solid 4 would take maybe five days, and if i do buy five more games i will spend the entire month downloading the games instead of playing them, for me is a NO NO, and keep in mind that the games will continue to grow in space, therefore i think this is not viable at least in the upcoming future and not at this speed limit.

4. theevilaires

This is an issue that we as consumers had to face sooner or later. Better sooner in my case as guidelines and proper laws can now be set up to really punish hackers if they commit these crimes again.

I only deal with cold hard cash. I don’t use credit cards and rarely swipe my debit card at any store. I only buy online when its super convient other wise I pay cash at stores. I don’t like the idea of digital games to be honest. I will always want a hard copy. The more and more we swing to digital the more and more we lose control as a consumer.

Look at us now. We can’t even log into PSN and re-download our existing games we may have deleted months ago. All this talk about cloud gaming and games being stored on farm servers is not a future I want to see happen in this industry. I need to feel what I paid for in my hands to be fully satisfied and comfortable that I made a good investment.

Oh and Dennis stfu because even you couldn’t fool people to buy your horrible games via digital distribution if that was the only option.

5. TheWulf

No need for it to undermine the confidence of folks in regards to digital because at least some other digital platforms take security seriously (Steam, just as an example). It’s more that it’ll undermine confidence in Sony, and that’s really well deserved.

6. TheWulf

“[...] that cyber terrorism is no laughing matter.”

Do you run on nonsensoleum, TEA? I think you do. And this is my reaction every time you try to create some kind of correlation between a bunch of undisciplined hacker kids and actual terrorism.

You don’t like hackers, I get that, but please… stop talking. Osama does not have a bunch of Cyber Ninjas that jump into the Internet every so often just to deprive you of your Modern Warfare. But perhaps you don’t realise how ridiculous that sounds.

Sony really need to turn this into a cheapo game, TEA and thousands like him would snap it up in an instant.

(I mean, you can’t copyright ‘Anonymoous’, right? Do it, Sony! I could use the laughs, and you’d get their money, so it’s a win-win!)

7. get2sammyb

@5 – You can bet your bottom dollar every company (including Valve) took a triple and quadruple look at every element of their security after this story took off. In all honesty, Sony is the scapegoat here and that’s always an unfortunate position to be in.

There’s really no evidence that Sony didn’t take security seriously, aside from the piles of FUD that has surrounded this story since it emerged.

8. TheWulf

“You can bet your bottom dollar every company (including Valve) took a triple and quadruple look at every element of their security after this story took off.”

There have been plenty of hack attempts in regards to Valve and Steam, but none of them have been successful. What you fail to realise is that it doesn’t take something like this for Valve to check over their security, they do it ANYWAY, as a good digital distributor should.

That it took something like this for Sony to start taking security seriously proves my point. In effect – your own words pretty much prove my point.

9. get2sammyb

@8 – I’m sure there are have been “plenty of hack attempts” on the Sony PlayStation Network in the ~5 years it has been online, and yet there is evidence of one individual attack getting through.

I’m not excusing what has happened but you’re working entirely with assumptions. You don’t actually know that Valve checks over its security daily. Nor do you know that Sony don’t. You’re masquerading your own fanciful logic as facts.

Also, let’s not forget that Half-Life 2 famously got stolen from Valve’s computer network:

Granted such a hack didn’t affect consumers (not directly anyway), but it proves even the best (if that’s what you’re portraying Valve as) can falter.

10. Nozz

I agree with this guy, all this really made me do is rethink my approach to buying digitally over PSN and Steam (and Xbox Live Marketplace when I get one).

I’m not going to use and store my details online anymore but I will actually use PSN cards or pre paid cards. I’m also likely to spend more that way as well because of the amount of credit you get on the cards.

For example I intend to buy Outland on PSN, lets say it costs £7.99 if I buy a £10 PSN card I’ll have £2.01 credit left to spend in the store whereas with my debit card I would have just spent the £7.99 on the game and went about my business.

11. revolting

Denis Dyack undermined my confidence in digital entertainment as a whole.

12. Kerplunk

Wow, TheWulf, your raging hardon is showing. You really do keep repeating the same bullshit in different threads even after those same points have been disproven again and again. I don’t think you’re convincing anyone of anything other than your own fractured thinking.

13. mojo