Anonymous denies lifting credit card details from PSN

Thursday, 5th May 2011 09:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Anonymous has said that it isn’t responsible for stealing credit card information in the wake of PSN going down two weeks ago.

In a released statement (via VentureBeat), the hacker group said it was not involved in the potential hacking of CC details from PSN.

Sony told US congress yesterday that it had found an Anonymous file on PSN before taking the network down, saying the group’s trademark slogan “We are legion.”

“If a legitimate and honest investigation into credit card theft is conducted, Anonymous will not be found liable,” it said.

“While we are a distributed and decentralized group. Our ‘leadership’ does not condone credit card theft. We are concerned with the erosion of privacy and fair use, the spread of corporate feudalism, the abuse of power and the justifications of executives and leaders who believe themselves immune personally and financially for the actions the undertake in the name of corporations and public office.”

PSN has now been down for two weeks. Sony said at a Tokyo press conference on Sunday that it would partially restore the service this week, but has so far not done so.

1. Blerk

Not so cocky now, eh? :-D

What a shower of morons.

2. kingofscotland

The key thing here being ‘our ‘leadership’ does not condone credit card theft’

But as they are completley lawless they really have no idea if it was some of their members who acted out against their ‘leadership’

Of course it was annon – maybe not all but was definately a group of them – and they know it.

The wolfs are sniffing and there is nowhere to hide.

3. Kerplunk

“Our ‘leadership’ does not condone credit card theft”

Yup. And GeoHot doesn’t condone piracy. Hackers don’t condone these things, they just enable it.

And, Anonymous, you can’t claim to be everywhere in one breath and then say you weren’t there in the next. One of those statements (if not both) are bullshit.

“Expect us”

The only thing to expect is posturing bullshit from self-entitled cowards.

4. Blerk

Where’s the silly video with a whiney robot voice saying “it wasn’t us, we were at home asleep honest ask our mums, someone set us up the bomb”?

5. OrbitMonkey

Ahhh diddums x

6. Kerplunk

“If a legitimate and honest investigation..”

I don’t think hackers have the right to request honesty and legitimacy in anything. They’re not exactly good at displaying either of those qualities themselves so it’s painfully ironic that they should expect their actions to be reviewed in such light.

Also all this “Sony accused Anonymous” talk. I think that’s jumping the gun a little. Sony have stated the details of a file they claim to have found on their system.

Stating what you’ve found and making a direct accusation are quite different things.

Yes, it’s possible Anonymous have been set up by someone outside their group. Maybe Sony. Maybe other hackers (though can you be a hacker and NOT be considered part of Anonymous? Very grey area). But when you’re allied with a group of people you can’t control and in a culture famous for illegitimately spreading information and conjecture you really shouldn’t cry when those tactics start to work against you instead of working for you.

The lady doth protest too much

7. NeoSquall

Short resume of Anon statement:

“wah wah wah It wasn’t us… wah wah wah We’re the Good Guys here, we fight the Good Fight… wah wah wah Sony is Evil and they will try to make us the scapegoat.”

You, Anonymous, openly threatened Sony.
    You attacked Sony once and retracted when it backfired.
    You attacked Sony twice because you don’t have ethic.
    You deny all this because you’re feeling the heat of the FBI and don’t want to have a gun sticked up your pooper.

Please, continue to amuse us in your douchebaggery.

8. Freek

“though can you be a hacker and NOT be considered part of Anonymous? Very grey area”

It’s not a grey area. Hacking is just an activity. People who consider themselfs hackers aren’t part of any one orginization nor do they share any motives.

PSN getting hacked, the PS3 getting jailbroken, Kinect getting modified etc etc. These are all different people doing things for different motives with different goals in mind. Some of them illegal, some legal.
    For example Johnny Lee, made famouse for his Wii hacks, now works for Microsoft on Kinect.

9. OlderGamer

And I don’t think Anon will go down as a whole group. I doubt there is even a chain of command. More likly, in my mind, is that if individuals within the group are found to be responsible, then those individuals will be the only ones held accountable.

10. frostquake

That is what happens when you operate as a HIVE. Everyone is going out and conquering their own flowers.

Sorry Anon..the more you speak, the more I HATE YOU!!!!

And Kerplunk is right…asking for a “If a legitimate and honest investigation..”

Are you kidding me?? You don’t operate in those bounds AT ALL!! You can’t ask for that type of treatment when you don’t give it, at all!!!

You are a F’ing Hypocrite Anon!! The more you talk the more Hate will go your way now.

How about you Anon, Prove Legitimately and Honestly that you had nothing to do with it!! Prove that!! Just saying it doesn’t make it so!! Unicorns that shoot Cheeseburgers out of their assess! Wow I just said something, so it must be TRUE…Yeah right..go away ANON!!!

11. Kerplunk

Dammnit. I want a cheeseburger now.

12. Gekidami

Whats funny is that they say they dont condone credit card theft. Well thats cool, but according to Sony, other then on the SOE servers, theres no proof credit card info was taken. So what about the rest of our details Anon?

In fact, Anon arent saying they arent behind the attack, just that they didnt lift any CC details. Seriously, look how specific the statement is, it only mentions CC details.

13. DrDamn

I thought that too. There is no explicit denial. You’d think “It wasn’t us” would have been number one on the list, but it’s all a bit carefully worded for my liking.

14. YoungZer0

Soon they will start threatening the FBI.

15. Blerk

Probably because they’ve no idea whether it was them or not.

Because you don’t have to ‘join’ and nobody knows who anybody else is, anyone can just act under the Anonymous banner and do whatever they like. The people who claim to steer it are basically sitting on a painted target for any nutter anywhere in the world who decides to do something and then claim they’re “part of anonymous”. The idiots.

16. Nozz

Well even if they did or not the Hackers involved with the personal information were acting anonymously.

Anon made it clear that they weren’t going to leave Sony alone until they were satisfied, so really releasing a statement like this is kind of has no real meaning (to me at least) to be honest.

Some say this was inevitable with Sony’s poor implementation of security on their servers but I still hold anonymous responsible for the extended downtime as they either A: have members(?) that went to far or B: paved the way for a sneak attack by another hacker/group while they were attacking Sony’s servers.

It just all seems to convenient. Also Anonymous.txt -> “We are legion.” Hmmmmm.

17. TheWulf

You like putting words in the mouths of others, don’cha? They’re not claiming that they aren’t responsible, if you hadn’t noticed, but rather that there is a form of hierarchy there and that the higher-ups are NOT happy about this. Whomever was responsible for speaking as Anonymous in this case has pissed off a bunch of even better hackers.

I don’t envy the position of whomever that was.

18. TheWulf

All true! Except that pretty much some of the most important people at the higher-end of the Anonymous hierarchy are incredible hackers themselves. So anyone speaking as Anonymous but against them is going to piss them off, as I pointed out, and that’s not a position I’d want to be in.

19. frostquake

Now everyone see’s the fatal flaw of Anon! This has done far more damage to them, then they could have ever imagined.

There are So many ways Anon could have acted against Sony, without harming the customer.

Yet, they ATTACKED the customer DIRECTLY!!!

Who is contacting their Credit Card Companies Closing their Accounts? The Customers!

Who is waiting to sign into their accounts to play games online?
    The Customers!

Who is going to have to delete their information and change their passwords?
    The Customers!

Ultimately, what does BIG business due when they have extended costs and have to pass on the costs?
    To The Customers!

Who was this attack on?
    The Customers!

This announcement by Anon…makes me extremely ANGRY.

Hey Customers…I know we Water boarded you, Tortured you with Electric Wires, and poked your Eyes out, but PWEASE…PWEASE…Don’t do that to us…PWEASE…PWEASE..treat us fair and nice, and could we get a nice Soft pillow and a fleece blankey, and oh a warm glass of milk and a teddy bear as well!!! We know we made you walk on broken glass, but our feet hurt…can we just lay here for a while, and could you dim the lights!!

OMG

20. Kerplunk

@17 No, I don’t put words into people’s mouths. But I do enjoy watching those early bold words crumble as the people start to back peddle.

The hackers love to make bold, daring statements that lead anti-Corporate numbskulls to spew pro-Hacker bullshit here and there. Like they’re some digital Robin Hood or something. It’s all very romantic but when their stunts and tactics start to spectacularly backfire they cave in on themselves.

Hackers, Anonymous included, have been spreading FUD and misinformation about their targets. Now it’s time to enjoy the same behaviour become their undoing and laugh at all the short-sighted supporters who think that threats and ultimatums made by people that are too cowardly to show their face or name have any merit in the real world.

You could say that the only people hurting Anonymous are Anonymous. :)

21. ecu

I don’t know why Anon gets so much hate, I’m competely on their side here. They’ve said from day one that they do not wish to harm the consumers. They’re fighting for us and I thank them for it. Corporations have shown so much contempt for he average consumer, and I’m delighted that Anon are at least making an effort to make it clear to them that it’s not acceptable. It’s hamfisted but they’re fighting for us. They fucked up with the DDOS on PSN, and realised it, and admitted it, and stopped it! Fair play to them. I’m absolutely certain they had nothing to do with this latest attack. An English football hooligan abroad doesn’t represent every England fan, and as a decentralised organisation, not everything that occurs under the Anon name represents the beliefs and goals of Anon as a whole. I honestly find it utterly mindboggling that Sony can be so careless, so arrogant, and show such abuse and disrespect towards every single one of their paying customers, yet people STILL side with them against the group that is trying to help ensure we are treated fairly. Keep fighting the good fight, Anon.

22. Blerk

Anonymous aren’t fighting for “us”, they’re just ridiculous egomaniacs on a self-promotion tour. Ultimately they’ve achieved nothing and changed nothing unless you count pissing off a tremendous number of ordinary users.

People who think Anonymous are morons don’t automatically worship Sony, btw. It’s possible for them both to be ridiculous at the same time.

23. StolenGlory

Anon have done diddly-fuck for me.

They are not fighting for me, or for my rights; they’re merely indulging in ridiculous amounts of their own self-righteous kool-aid.

I don’t need ‘saving’ from Sony, or anyone else from that matter. I’m a grown ass man, if I don’t like something a company does, I will make a consumerist choice and simply not buy their products or services.

The arrogance of these maturity-barren assclowns stupifies me, it really does – who are they to think that they have any sort of power over me as a consumer in so far as that I can’t ‘fight my own battles’ or ‘do what is right’.

Screw em’, I really haven’t got any more time than I have already wasted in dignifying their nonsense with a response.

Bloody oxygen thieves.

24. ManuOtaku

#20 with all due respect hackers are not the only ones that made bold statements in the past, sony did made quite a few too, like the UNHACKABLE advertisament for the PS3, that statement alone was not only bold but just a challenge to the hacker comunity IMO.

And just to state my opinion in this matter, for me is two possibilities here, that this was done by a person or a group of persons from anon that didnt follow the anon orders to stop the attacks on sony, and were piss by the out of court agreement between sony and GEO, or it was a Cracker that under all the information available regarding the fight between sony-geo-anon, use this to make a diversion in order to made the perfect crime, which is made the crime while others take the blame.

But if this ends being true and one of anon member or members are involve, i think as i fine example my situation with the company i work for, about 10 years now, when they gave instructions to all the workers like these: the employee should dress accordingly with the status on the company and should care for that image all the time even in his free time, you should not eat on the street hot dogs because that will give the company bad reputation, the employee should avoid going to low life places in order to not give the company a bad reputation and so forth, maybe some people will not believe this, but believe me this is truth they said this almost on weekly basis, therefore and the point iam trying to make i try to follow this orders on my time with the company, but outside the company i do what i want, is my time and the actions i do on my free time are my responsability not the company, so thats what i do also think about this situation with anon.

25. KL

@24 Where and when did Sony made an unhackable advertisement for ps3?Unless you mean tabloids as an “advertisement”
    As a consumer i always check what’s written on the box before i purchase something for the first time
    i payed the initial price for the very first 60Gb model ,On the box it doesn’t mention other OS as one of it’s features at all neither that is unhackable so technically i payed exactly what i decided to purchase and what was given to me

26. Alakratt

“Anonymous denies lifting cc details”

Well, ufff, glad that was cleared!
    /s

My friends, these guys are not retards, THAT TITLE GOES TO THE ONES WHO BELIEVE THEM!! (a lot in here)

EDIT: Now that I think about it, if Anon are soooo pissed about someone else posing as them, then why don’t they find them and give them to authorities? I mean they are being, in a sense, “framed” for the hack. Along with this they are losing support, gaining bad rep and well, there’s a reason their IRC chat rooms have been deleted for weeks and they (after weeks) have kept silence. They know A LOT of people are after them, so why don’t they help get ones responsible if they are SO innocent?

27. Redh3lix

@23 +1 Awesome post.

28. Dr.Ghettoblaster

At this point they really need to simply shut the fuck up and disapear forever…

29. OrbitMonkey

@TheWulf & ManOtaku. Neither of you own a ps3 exclusively, so stop telling ps3 owners who are genuinely pissed to calm down. TheWulf especially, everytime I read one of your condescending posts, my eyes roll so hard I fear they won’t come back down you patronizing little git -_-

30. minxamo

So if it wasn’t anonymous, then the hackers are still… anonymous.

31. theevilaires

Love how they only say anything these days when there is proof and obvious they did something. You guys better pray you don’t get caught because you’re gonna get it up the ass like you’ve never have before.

32. GMoney

Of course ANONYMOUS is responsible for the data breach! Do they think anyone actually believes them? The breach just HAPPENS to be aided by the DDoS attack happening simultaneously? Come on, who do they expect to believe that? And of course they are going to leave a calling card. As if they haven’t done the very same thing when defacing a public website.
    They purport to be about FREE INFORMATION yet they all collectively hide behind ANON?? They don’t condone theft? They are kings of WAREZ! Sorry to break this to everyone but Jailbreaking PS3 was ONLY about circumventing copyrighted games.
    Enough said. They are garbage. The very dreg’s of techdom.