Mass Effect 3 delayed to first three months of 2012

Wednesday, 4th May 2011 19:29 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Mass Effect will be released in the first three months of 2012, as opposed to its expected holiday 2011 release.  Casey Hudson, the executive producer of the Mass Effect series confirmed the news on the official Facebook page.

Chris Preistly posted the delay  in the official Bioware forums:

“Today we have confirmed that Mass Effect 3 will be released in the first three months of 2012. The development team is laser focused on making sure Mass Effect 3 is the biggest, boldest and best game in the series, ensuring that it exceeds everyone’s expectations.”

Casey Hudson’s announcement pertaining to the matter is here on the  official Facebook page.

Bioware had released some new screens for the game earlier today. You can read details regarding the game over here and here.

The Bioware-developed game will be out on PS3, PC and Xbox 360.

1. onlineatron

Saw this coming.

From the initial announcement I’ve thought a 2011 date was too soon.

2. Alakratt

GODDAMN IT!!! fUCK SHIT!!! AWWW I’mn just spewing nonsense, so fucking pissed!!

3. LOLshock94

GOD this was so obvious why did they say it will be coming out in october

4. someguy2

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/07/mass-effect-3-graces-next-gi-cover/comment-page-1/#comments Called it, yet no-one believed me.

5. Crab of Thunder

Maybe I can finish Mass Effect 2 now :D

@4 Indeed you did, good sir. Gratz

6. lexph3re

Gives me more time to plat it

7. Bloodyghost

I CALLED IT! I like this decision. Better for the game, better for me and other consumers who are running out of money.

8. AHA-Lambda

lol n i thought it was coming october earlier today XD

anyways I called it :P
    also good need time for all the other Q4 games after all ^_^

9. Patrick Garratt

I’m pretty sure EA’s never said it’d be out this calendar year. I’m sure they’ll say this soon.

Also, it’s EA financial call tonight, so you might get something more solid on this later.

10. Patrick Garratt

Sorry, I’m talking rubbish. It has been delayed. It was announced for “holiday 2011″.

11. AHA-Lambda

@9 – i remember you saying that all signs pointed to a fall release :P

12. Fin

13. Patrick Garratt

@11 – It was most definitely supposed to come out this year :)

14. Debabrata Nath

I’m happy they’ve decided not to rush things. The finale mustn’t be a rushed out title.

15. Maximum Payne

This is first time I am happy because of delay :P
    As long as they don’t rush it like Dragon Age 2 I am happy.

16. Erthazus

Thank god, maybe they will make it RPG this time.

17. Moonwalker1982

It was gonna contain RPG elements already, so i don’t think this delay is the only reason for that. As long as Skyrim still comes out 11-11-11, i’m good. Please don’t let that one get delayed.

18. Erthazus

and in my opinion Skyrim should be delayed too. It’s a huge game in terms of quality and it’s world. I don’t want it to be like Oblivion.

They should delay it for year i don’t care. As long as it is like Morrowind i’m going to be super excited.

19. Debabrata Nath

“As long as they don’t rush it like Dragon Age 2 I am happy.”

Also, this.

20. Bloodyghost

@11 Even a journalist cant predict what happens behind the curtain. Either some dead lines have needed to be extended or Bioware needs more time to polish period.

21. Phoenixblight

Well that opens up me getting another game for the Holiday season me thinks Batman possibly?

Good to hear they are focusing on polishing the game instead of just going for a date and leaving things out.

22. Debabrata Nath

@Erzthazus: I think TES: Skyrim has been in development for a long long time, so it won’t suffer since Bethesda’s surely planned it out well in advance. Also, I’m 90% certain it won’t be delayed.

23. Bloodyghost

@18 Skyrim wont be delayed. It would seriously be surprising if it is.

Bethesda is always good with dates especially with there own games.

I can see why you infer that Skyrim would be delayed but take in account that Skyrim has been in development for AWHILE with a way bigger production team this time around to speed things up.

24. Bloodyghost

@21 How come no Dark Souls on your mind?

25. Phoenixblight

Haven’t been following it, maybe I will look into it.

26. Bloodyghost

@25 Well I dont blame you either, Batman Arkham City does look interesting.

So interesting that I am following all the Batman lore I can possible obtain.

I actually read The Killer Joke and LOVE that comic, it seriously would be great if Rockstady takes a nod towards that with possible side quests or something involving you stumbling across the Joker’s introduction as a villain.

Also there is no way Arkham City will fail, hell I love the fact they are going with the open approach over the closed inner one which wasn’t that bad but I liked being outside and open to freedom.

But here is Dark Souls, sequel to my favorite PS3 game and I am going insane.

I can only buy one or the other.

27. strikkebil

good call. more ppl will buy it, and the game will b better.

28. Moonwalker1982

Nah man, Skyrim has been in development for a long long time. I think i read in a interview that right after Oblivion, they started development on Skyrim.

29. Tadeg NEOgo

saw that one coming :(

30. Cozzy

Awww gutted it’s delayed but rushing it out and dissapointing everyone would of been worse.

31. triggerhappy686

This is the first delay that has ever made me happy LMAO. I still need to find the time to give ME2 a second play through with all the DLC. I thought winter 2011 was a bit soon anyway…

32. UuBuU

Wonderful news. There’s far too much coming out in 2011 as it is, and hopefully they make the most of the extra time to make a much deeper roleplaying experience. ME2 was good, but it lacked depth and was very much a story-driven TPS. I really hope they don’t just change the story + characters for ME3 and leave the gameplay the same.

33. Phoenixblight

The game play is staying the same with additional things added to it. They discussed all of this in the GI article.

34. threadzilla

Its okay I was beginning to feel overcrowded with all the games….That way when it comes out I will be able to devote my full time to it

35. boss33

Don`t worry, frends, it sounds, like OOh hmm,project cafe to me, this could came on nintendo`s new machine, so problaby that`s why the delay, until 2012, sounds very likely, OOh we sould keep this to ourselfs. :)
    enJOY!

36. daytripper

@34 same here

37. Custard Ganet

Knew it was comin,get more pre orders in,build more hype!! Skyrim will be next to be delayed.

38. Blerk

Not surprised, but also not particularly bothered. Looking forward to it loads, but I’d much rather it was done properly so waiting is fine.

39. Onikilly

A Mass Effect 3 on handled machines ? : http://www.jeuxactu.com/article-52474-battlefield-3-mass-effect-3-portables-.html

40. Moonwalker1982

I don’t like that one bit ‘Tweaked for larger market’ ….

As long as those promised RPG elements are in it, and please let there be choices, multiple choices during conversations. During E3 we’ll be seeing plenty of stuff from it.

41. Noodlemanny

I think this is good and probably the plan from the start. Maybe the thinking was to get everyone hyped up for a game a little closer to home then reveal its actual realise date but still keep people interested. Then again perhaps not.

P.S. Does anyone remember Erthazus saying there was no reason for ME3 to be delayed, but now is all behind it? (#4 link)

42. tpaq