Far Cry 3 development casts long shadows

Wednesday, 4th May 2011 03:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ubisoft has gone silent on Far Cry 3, but the anticipated sequel is nevertheless turning up all over the place.

Industry sleuth Superannuation spent a happy evening compiling references to a mysterious action title in development in Quebec.

A senior software developer at Ubisoft Montreal listed recent work on an “unannounced shooter sequel” for PlayStaton 3 and Xbox 360 on his resumé.

Another Montreal staffer, technical director of scripted events, references an “undisclosed first person shooter” with “exotic gameplay”, again for both consoles.

Another three developers actually make direct reference to Far Cry 3 by title.

Ubisoft confirmed development of the third Far Cry game in August, 2008, but then apparently put the game on the back burner until August 2010, when rumours held production kicking into full swing.

The game was expected to release this year, but Ubi is playing coy. Another reason to keep your eyes on E3, then.

The first far Cry game was developed by Crytek, with ubisoft Montreal taking over for its first sequel, adding more open-world elements and shifting the setting to Africa, where Far Cry 3 is set to remain.

1. CaptPierce

Far Cry 2 was host to A LOT of problems, but if it can fix the AI, vary the objectives a bit, make traveling easier, and GET RID OF MALARIA, it could turn out to be a wonderful game. It was a very, very, VERY immersive game without that stuff.

2. Patrick Garratt

I’m ALL about this shit. Absolutely loved the second one. E3, please.

3. Christopher Jack

More animals to hunt! I want some alligators, lions, tigers, rhinos, elephants, giraffes etc.

4. Patrick Garratt

Some variety in the side-missions is the big thing they need to address, I reckon. And even though it didn’t bother me, they need to work out how to not make the same checkpoint encounter happen every ten minutes.

But yeah. The most immersive shooter I’ve ever played. Rhino-hunting and a bit more thought about mission variation and it’s guaranteed gold.

5. The_Deleted

Add in the elements that made the original Far Cry games interesting and I’m in.

6. Gekidami

So i guess this never happened in the end, then:

7. M. K.

Sorry, not interested… Far Cry 2 was, like I love to say, a waste of a great open world :/ If they can fix the controls and give the world a life, then I’m in, cause the multiplayer was really fun for a surprising long time.

8. drewbles82

i did get far cry 2 but got real bored very quick. problems was taking a pill every few hrs, that was annoying esp during a mission.
    My biggest problem was when u decided to do a mission, to get there was a mission itself, half the time i barely had any health left ready to attempt the mission cuz i got tons of guys following me.

9. Thalius

Far Cry2 was a cool game with alot of poor design options. What a waste of a good game engine(Dunia). I hope they fix that for Far Cry3.