Australia and US Congress question Sony over PlayStation Network

Tuesday, 3rd May 2011 17:29 GMT By Jessica Citizen

Sony’s not just in trouble with consumers – the United States Congress has started asking questions. Representative Mary Bono Mack (R-CA), from the Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade has sent a letter, requesting a reply by May 6, 2011. However, Sony has commented that it will not be sitting in on Congressional Hearings pertaining to the matter, at least for the time being. Meanwhile, Australian leaders have also noted concerns on the matter.

Congress sends a letter

The Congress subcommittee has addressed the letter directly to Sony Executive Deputy President Kazuo Hirai, and asked a number of questions – including whether or not Sony has any idea of the attacker’s identity. It also queries exactly when the intrusion occurred, and when Sony decided to bring in law enforcement officials – all questions that the company has been keeping quiet until now.

Sony has also been explicity questioned about the “specific nature” of the stolen data, including – once and for all – whether or not credit card details have been lifted.

The firm has declined, however, to sit in on a Congressional hearing regarding the threat of data theft to American PSN users, but will comply with Congress by answering any questions pertaining to the matter. The reason for this, is “because their internal investigation is still ongoing,” an official in Congresswoman Mary Bono Mack’s office told Kotaku.

“Sony is cooperating with the request for answers to the Committee’s questions, and in fact will be providing our responses in advance of the deadline,” said SCEA’s Patrick Seybold in response. “We informed the committee that we could not appear as early as this Wednesday because of our ongoing intensive investigation and management of this criminal cyberattack.”

Sony is already facing a class-action suit over the breach, and this morning brought more drama with the news that Sony Online Entertainment services had also been affected.

The Congressional letter sent to the firm is posted in full over on the New York Times website.

Australia to draft a new law

In the wake of the PSN hack which compromised consumer privacy, the Australian federal government has announced its plan to form a law which requires companies to disclose any privacy breaches.

According to Australian newspaper WA Today, the PSN hack resulted in 1,560,791 accounts in the country made vulnerable with 280,000 credit card details compromised.

The Australian government like the US Congress, is questioning Sony regarding both its actions and security, with Brendan O’Connor, Minister for Justice; Minister for Home Affairs; Minister for Privacy and Freedom of Information commenting that he is, “very concerned” over the compromised information.

“Sony isn’t alone,” he said. “We’ve seen serious privacy-related incidents in recent months involving other large companies. All companies that collect customers’ personal information must ensure that the information is safe and secure from misuse.”

There’s no word when the law being considered will come before the proper channels or when it may go into effect.

Thanks, Industry Gamers, GI.biz.

1. theevilaires

The fools on capitol hill can barely run the country let alone understand anything about PlayStation. I swear people will do anything to “capitalize” ;) on a situation. Can’t wait to read the knee jerk over dramatic SONY is doomed comments later when the idiot euros wake up in the morning. I’m going to place a bet with myself on who will respond to this article after me in the next 10 comments. If I win i’ll treat the next kid I see at my local game shop with a game of his/her choice when I go pick up L.A. Noir.

2. nofear360

They are SO doomed!!!111

3. urbz2011

damn sony effed up.

4. Blerk

Sony can easily avoid this by just living incognito in a Pakistani suburb for ten years.

5. Johnny Cullen

That’s already been done dude. :D

6. TD_Monstrous69

If I’m not mistaken, but didn’t Sony already answer on when the intrusion occured in one of their Q&A releases on their website?
    Also @4, lol.

7. viralshag

“Sony has any idea of the attacker’s identity.”

Now that Osama is done and out the way, they need a new ten year hunting project. Hackers beware, USA might be after you.

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’m done reading about this shit. Somebody give me a shout out when PSN’s back up and all this shit’s behind us. I just wanna play online. I don’t have financial data on there anyway, never did, never will.

9. Kabby

Now is the time for Nintendo to unveil their next generation online netwo… haha, wow, who am I kidding.

10. DarkElfa

Wow, TEA would defend Sony even if he came home to find a PS3 hovering over his Grandma’s stabbed corpse with a knife.

That is some true ass dedicated fanboy shit there TEA.

11. theevilaires

^ you fool what defend. I’m stating the obvious. Instead of grilling SONY we should be putting bounties on the hackers heads. If you didn’t trust SONY from a long time ago why did you choose to use your credit card and not a pre paid one. The hackers have been threating SONY for weeks before the attacks….Were you too accused of being stupid for not changing or taking your info down then?

The fact is that its only SONY haters making a big deal out of this as I don’t care because I know:

1. SONY can’t do shit against elite hackers same for M$ and every other company in the world if the hackers have true dedication and passion of fucking with your system.

2. I made the switch to pre paid cards a long time ago just like I have with LIVE. Anybody who knows how to handle money knows you don’t leave a trail whenever possible…..unless you’re the type of person living pay check to pay check (which most of you cry babies are….how sad)

3. Even if they did steal my information they won’t have my SS number,birth certificate, my well endowed penis, the keys to my car, and the abundance of cold hard cash I have laying around my house for a cloudy/bored day.

4. If they do take money they have the F.B.I. on their ass for the rest of their life and your bank will refund you and give you a new card identity.

5. If you’re a Muslim you’re practically safe because no one wants to steal the identity of a Muslim and deal with the headaches of declined bank loans, extra airport security harrasment, and being accused of terriost related stuff :P So chill the hell out.

My comments have nothing to do with defending SONY but only telling you morons to point the majority of the issue on where it belongs the hackers!. Funny as hell some people on here never use their PS3′s (and admit it openly) but yet they have spent all this money in the PS store with their credit cards :D LMAO.

12. sony_sucks

hackers win sony fail

sony is dead. no ps4 for sure

13. theevilaires

^ and I bet you your buddy O.G. would back you up on that 1 million percent pal. I never see him go after your fanboy remarks against SONY. O.G. for president and Sarah Palin for Vice President…..oh wait we had that retarded duo back in 2008 never mind.

14. LOLshock94

@13 i bet shit talking makes you feel real hard

15. sony_sucks

13 dosnt change anything your sony is dead. very funny ^___^

16. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Gotta agree with TEA everything in #11 EXCEPT 5.

17. lexph3re

Lol @ drG so you agree about his well endowed penis?

18. theevilaires

I was joking about #5 in comment 11 Dr.G but basically you got my drift. One of you guys should have posted a list like that the day Garratt went on his witch hunt for SONY’s throat along with the rest of the XBOTS and shut them down before they could gain any steam. From now on if he post anymore credit card SONY hate articles I will just copy and paste that list in every comment thread to stop his propaganda dead in its tracks.