Rockstar not trying to make “interactive movies,” but “video games that are cinematic”

Tuesday, 3rd May 2011 20:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rockstar told attendees at the Tribecca Film Festival that it took inspiration from movies like Chinatown and L.A. Confidential as well as fiction fromJames Cain and Raymond Chandler when creating L.A. Noire.

However, the studio also insisted that just because it looked to other forms of media, especially film for the game, it’s not “trying to make interactive movies,” but “video games that are cinematic.”

“There’s a visual language that people who play games just understand,” Rockstar’s Rob Nelson told IGN. “It’s always a tricky thing to do that in open world games. It was tricky setting up crime scenes. We didn’t want to have a bunch of distracting, game-y kind of things on the screen. We wanted it to feel fairly clean and it was tricky to make something that would catch your eye and you would just know instinctively that you could interact with it.

“The interrogation scenes were always a leap of faith until we got the MotionScan tech working. For a long time they just played out as a text adventure, and then we brought in some amateur actors to record placeholder performances, some better than others. You’d be like, ‘Oh man, I don’t know.’ But you really have to put that aside and trust that when you get the right person for the role it will feel right.”

L.A. Noire has over 400 characters, 20 main cases, and 2,200 pages of script, which is around the equivalent of two full seasons of a television series, according to IGN.

Game’s out in a couple of weeks.

1. a7md1990

so basically thy iz sayin [we ain't tryin' to copycat HeavyRain].

aiight then.. i think i get it noW

2. The_Red

And I’m not trying to “make a killing gun” but “weapons that are deadly”.

3. a7md1990

@2 LOL.. exactly!!!!

4. loki

@1 it seems you know nothing about LA Noire.

5. a7md1990

@4 it seems you know nothing about Heavy Rain … just sayin’ :P

6. HauntaVirus

It seems I’ll be leaving now…

7. a7md1990

@6 how can u ever leave something u never entered?

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

It seems I’ll be coming later…

9. Gekidami

^ Get a box of tissues ready?

10. theevilaires

Call up Kojima he could give you a few tips ;) (MGS3!)

11. Zana

“L.A. Noire has over 400 characters, 20 main cases, and 2,200 pages of script”

Quantity is not quality. I’m quite worried about LA Noire… Technology is not quality either.

12. Gekidami

The only thing i’m worried about, is that the gameplay parts are poor, and the rest of the game is -as Rob Nelson puts it- a ‘text adventure’.

Though the plot, and narrative alone looks like it can hold my interest.

13. Edo

Ehrrr…why is this game in the PC section as well?

14. DaMan

they really ruined GTA because of this. the fun was gone in fourth one.

15. xxJPRACERxx

@14: GTA IV is the 1st GTA I liked. Before that I didn’t but was a fan of Mafia (PC version). And even then, I find GTA IV not real enough, it’s still too fast. So IMHO, they didn’t ruin GTA, they improved it.

16. Hybridpsycho

They didn’t improve it, I do like GTAIV as well. But they turned the serie into something it needn’t be.
    The new GTA was something in between Saints Row 2 ‘n Mafia 2. Which is a bad thing, considering what that the old GTA games were more like Saints Row than anything else (or rather, Saints Row is like the old GTA games).

Fact still remains, Saints Row 2 story modes kicks GTA IV’s ass. Awesome cutscenes, fucking epic voice acting through about 40 hours of gameplay.

Sry, this turned into an “Saints Row 2 is awesome” reply.

My point is that they’ve strayed from their path… :p

17. DaMan

that’s my point actually, they’ve turned the series into what it hasn’t really been about. I didn’t enjoy Mafia for the exact reason that it ‘s a diametrically opposite take on the same game.

It ‘s an unparalleled game, but it just didn’t do what I played the series for since the original.