Remedy boss: “The sooner we go digital, the better”

Tuesday, 3rd May 2011 14:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Remedy boss Matias Myllyrinne has said that the quicker the games industry goes towards a digital-only future, it’ll be for the best.

“I don’t think the big, huge experiences are going anywhere, but the sooner we go digital as an industry, the better for everybody. Better for consumers, better for the developers and publishers,” CEO Myllyrinne told Edge.

Not better everyone, though, as retail would be the hardest hit. He admits he doesn’t share sympathy for those who sell its games second-hand.

“Maybe [it’s] not so good for retail, but then again if you’re selling our games as used copies and incentivising people to do that, then I don’t really feel sorry for you.”

Remedy tried and tested a digital output of its own last year with the release of two post-launch DLC episodes of Alan Wake: The Signal and The Writer. Myllyrinne said the game’s episodic TV structure made it work somehow, but warned it’s a juggling act when it comes to adding more content to a story-focused game.

“It was hugely successful, and really resonated with the fans. You’re adding to the value that you’re giving people. But I think on the other hand you need to be very careful – the game that you ship and provide folks needs to have a meaningful ending and closure. Having a TV series structure really, really worked well for it because it’s kind of natural for a TV series to go on to season two or have specials.

1. daytripper

will happen eventually, generation after this forthcoming one is my bet

2. RandomTiger

I’d like to go digital but until the price points become competitive I will stick to retail.

3. Kabby

Now really isn’t the best time to be talking up digital distribution and online services. Still, he talks in jargon and sounds like he’s some kind of idiot so I’m not surprised.

4. OlderGamer

They should just go Steam. For now. Down the road if Steam in on a console or if consoles have something like Onlive, use that.

5. daytripper

@3 hasnt done too bad for himself to say hes a idiot tho has he? i’d like to be a boss of a games company, i’d make all projects atari lynx exclusive

6. AHA-Lambda

The horror? Dont you mean the writer? O_o

“the game that you ship and provide folks needs to have a meaningful ending and closure.”

yeah and alan wake DID NOT HAVE THAT! >:(

7. YoungZer0

Alan Wake sucked donkey balls and so does his opinion. I hope it will never go completely digital.

8. Johnny Cullen

@AHA – Yes, I did mean The Writer. I really don’t know what the fuck’s wrong with me today. Such a rookie mistake to make too considering I’m a big Wake fan. I’ve fixed it anyway

9. frostquake

Digital eliminates the middle-man and makes someone more money. The question will be, who will be the middle-man that is eliminated, and who stands to make more money.

On top of that, do you think prices will come down, with all digital? Then I have a bridge to sell you on the moon!

Greed is an extremely powerful motivator, and I have a feeling that is what is motivation “All Digital” speak.

10. mojo

yeah he allready prooved that he knows whats good when he sold max payne.

11. ValveLover

Alan Wake £9.52 inc p+p http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Alan-Wake-Xbox-360/dp/B000E52P9A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304428816&sr=8-1

Matias, if Alan Wake was released for £10, I’d have bought it new. It wasn’t, so I had to wait to get it pre-owned. “I don’t really feel sorry for you.” :)

12. OlderGamer

Dunno Frosty, Steam has massive blowouts, and LIVE has deal of the week and such. I recently bought Outrun 2 on Live for half off. Got Double Impact(Final Fight/Magic Sword) for half off as well. So I think in the spirit of competition, I bet digital prices will drop. However I wouldn’t look to MS/Sony/Nintendo to be leader in that market right now. I would say that honor is still Steams.

But your right, I think. More money is prolly motivation. I just think it comes from eleminating second hand game sales. If game pubs could remove Gamestop/Game and the like from the equation, they stand to make 2 or 3 Xs what they do now.

13. strikkebil

for game companies and publishers yes, but for consumers no

14. JonFE

There are some things to be resolved before the game industry commits to a full digital distribution model. Broadband penetration is still low in some countries or comes with a download cap, additional console storage should be considered and addressed, retail shops will still be necessary to purchase consoles or peripherals (although these can be general electric shops and not dedicated game ones) but may be reluctant to do so if they lose the extra business of games and, finally, consumers must be shown -and probably convinced of- the benefits they’ll have from it, whichever these may be.

Surely, publishers want things to go that way, but it will take time…

15. DaMan

Bar second hand market it’s better for the customers, more so with the imminent upcoming cloud based gaming.

16. Ge0force

Digital downloads are very succesfull on pc. You know, the platform that Remedy ignored a few months before the release of Alan Wake.

17. HauntaVirus

^YEP, fuckin’ cunts.

18. Dralen

The only problem I have with this, is that you are restricted by the size of your hard drive. Whereas with DVD/bluray discs, you are only restricted by the size of your shelf :P. I’m constantly having to delete games on my PC to make room for new ones, even with 3 terrabytes of Hard Drive capacity. I’m ok with Steam though in this matter, because you can backup your games to disc, so if you ever decide you want to play them in the future you don’t have to download the whole game again. I can see alot of problems occurring if they ever decided to take an all download path with consoles in the future.

19. Hybridpsycho

Fuck no give me my physical collectors edition.

I love digital as well, but will never convert fully

20. Lightmanone

Digital maybe good, but things like Sony’s outage shows that it’s not failproof. I am still glad I haven’t gotten a single thing that REQUIRES me to have an internet connection, and I am not buying anything that requires it. The moment I want a game that requires it, I go look it up on P2P. A company will never convince me that it’s better for the consumer… it’s only better for the company. here’s a hint: Don’t use DRM!

Physical over internet! Always. I will not give up the discs for purely digital. I ain’t doing that!

And if you think I am a hypocrite with P2P, think again: Digital = better then DRM. But Physical beats digital.

21. Phoenixblight

So you pirate the game if it requires internet connect. You are in fact forcing developers and publishers to go digital and cloud gaming, I hope you know. In fact with EA, Dell, SOny, HTC all investing cloud service I wouldn’t doubt it becoming a reality within the next 5 years just because of people like you.