US leads world with greatest number of PSN accounts

Monday, 2nd May 2011 15:08 GMT By Debabrata Nath

The Playstation Network outage has impacted PS3 users worldwide, but which country suffered the most? Let’s find out.

According to figures released by Sony (and reported by Famitsu), the USA has the most number of registered PSN accounts, followed by the UK and Japan.

Here’s a breakdown of the number of PSN accounts per country:

• USA: 31,140,307 accounts
  • UK: 9,296,317 accounts
  • Japan: 7,427,038 accounts
  • France: 4,701,424 accounts
  • Canada: 3,524,227 accounts
  • Germany: 3,233,800 accounts
  • Spain: 2,982,592 accounts

Do note that other countries, such as India and South Africa also have their own Playstation Stores, however Famitsu didn’t supply the complete global data.

It is also possible to make accounts in countries without actually residing in them.

Sony’s confirmed that there’s a total of 77 million PSN accounts worldwide, and also said that 10 million credit cards linked to these accounts were at risk of being compromised during the recent breach by hackers, although there’s no specific evidence that any financial details were stolen.

1. Razor

And how many are fake :)

2. pukem0n

couple of million made from other countries to have the US store ^^

3. Erthazus

So many fake accounts.. jesus…

4. G1GAHURTZ

For such a small country, the UK has a whole lot of gamers…

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Personally, I’ve got two fake accounts. One for UK demos, and one for Japan demos. So chalk me up for three! :)

6. Erthazus

I have three. US, UK and JP.
    Wanted to have one from Hong-Kong, but it’s ridiculous.

7. Nozz

I must be the only one with ONE legit UK account!

although I had a chance to see the US PS store and it blows away the UK store by far!

I suppose the US users feel the same way about the PS store in Japan.

8. KAP

One UK
    One JPN
    One US
    One Korean

Still, that’s kicking ass though…. GO SONY!!!’

9. frostquake

I only have ONE USA account, and that is all I need.

I still feel horrible for those stores in Home that needed daily transactions to keep them going, like Sodium One and such.

Just wonder how much money daily, is being lost in total. The number has got to be astronomical. All those Micro-transactions have got to add up!

I know I bought a couple of houses in Home, bought Sodium One, and was ready to buy the MMO space game that was in Home…Was playing the Magic The Gathering Game in Home…it has got to be a massive loss daily not just for Sony, but all those business in the PSN universe that needs those daily transactions!

10. Alexander Trust

I guess we could have had more PSN users in Germany but PS3 games are quite expensive and we don’t have such rebates like in the UK. No Mega Mondays or similar promotional rebate actions. Right now for example if you wanted to buy Crysis 2 – at UK retailers you’ll get it for around 45 euros in Germany you’d pay 55. And we don’t have such things like 80% off price. So price politics for PS3 games AND hardware are in the way to get more customers in Germany.

I’m not complaining at this because I’m buying games in the UK sometimes at online shops but the average person does get there games still at retailers.

11. Christopher Jack

I’ve got one Aus(virtually the same as Europe) & one US account. The US PSN is superior to the European one in every single way, even adding cash to my wallet was a pain, can’t add less than $10-With the US PSN you can buy thing worth a single $ or less-AMAZING! Still prefer adding a minimum of $10 than adding some stupid amount of points on XBL, always preferred the PSN Store to XBL but Microsoft have scored themselves quite the collection of smaller exclusives.
    @10, Us Australians pay anywhere between €60 to €90. Question here, do you Euros have to go through security checks or anything of the like when passing countries?

12. Schindet Nemo

Man I feel like a minority as I have only one EU PSN account.

@11 There are no inter-European borders anymore. A EU citizen can go live and work wherever he feels like within the Union.

13. bluffbluff03

Yeah, and if the PSN would be online again after nearly two weeks all these guys could use their accounts . This news before that background … kind of fail.

14. cRAZYcROgUY

One UK is mine.
    One USA as well.
    One JPN.
    One Croatian.
    There.

15. mojo

lol. im from germany.
    Everyone i know, and i mean literaly EVERYONE here has at least an us fake account. nearly everyone also has an uk and jp account.
    Its so obsolete to count this..