Hirai to hold PSN breach press conference tomorrow

Saturday, 30th April 2011 11:02 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Sony’s confirmed that Sony Corp’s Kaz Hirai is to hold a press conference in Japan tomorrow to address last week’s PSN hacking crisis.

Hirai will speak at 2.00pm Japanese time (9.00pm PST, 12.00am EST, 5.00am BST, 6.00am CET) about the breach, as well as the firm’s information management system and the schedule to resume services.

PSN was hacked last week and taken offline completely as a result. Sony has since confirmed that user data was compromised, and that it can’t rule out the possibility that credit card details were stolen.

The news has rocked the gaming world, and has been reported widely in the mainstream press as one of the largest ever online security failures.

PSN is expected to be back online next week.

Via Reuters.

1. someguy2

I’m pretty sure that 2PM Japanese time isn’t the same time as BST.

2. Patrick Garratt

Changed it. Need to lay off the steroids.

3. Christopher Jack

Weren’t many XBL users subject to credit card fraud only a few years back? I remember hearing about it almost non stop between late ’07 til around mid ’08.

Back to the topic at hand… so around 2.30 (Australian CST) this conference will start, not that I need reimbursement but I definitely won’t object to receiving any :D

4. Razor

Still leaving it late, but hopefully Sony will finally get back in control of the story.

Malcolm Tucker would have a heart attack at how badly Sony handled this.

5. reask

Not sure what you’re point is CJ all I know is I have been on live 4 years and never got anything about cc fraud.

Maybe it only happens to the ones that don’t like 360. ;)

6. humanfish

I’ve seen comments around the net asking questions of Sony CEO Howard Stringer. Granted, you could question his leadership and Sony’s performancer over the last few years. But for me, serious questions have to be asked of Kaz, this is his division. A hell of alot if riding on networked devices for Sony, and this cock-up under Hirai could easily have long term consequences.

7. Christopher Jack

@5, I owned a 360 for 4 years (well went through 3 in that time frame) & other than it’s awfully loud sound, the lack of first party support (Although I absolutely loved Halo 3, ODST & Reach. Fable III too but I will get that through Steam next payday), the fact that I have to pay to play online (the most important factor) & the most infuriating factor, reliability (2 in a fucking row with the open tray error that killed at least 4 games between them – the tray was one of the worst designs I’ve ever seen & I’ve mucked around with a few dodgy Chinese DVD players).

I would have continued to use my 360 if it were free to play online, I’m sure as hell not paying $99 AUD ($108 USD) for 12 months of Gold https://www.jbhifionline.com.au/game/xbox-360/xbox-360-genuine-live-gold-kit-12-mths-subscription/252376.

8. reask

Fair enough then but what’s any of that got to do with the latest Sony cock up?
    I am on my second 360 in 4 years and still find it hard to see why a Euro a day or less is a problem for anyone.
    Its a good service that has been streets ahead of PSN up until quite recently.

9. rrw

#8 because i dont see the point of having charge you for online game. especially you live in third world country (like me) where the internet connection is not as fast as first world country one.

also is waste of money when you usually play SP game like mass effect (like me)

10. Christopher Jack

@8, My point is that XBL is far from perfect unlike many members on here tend to believe. Only real advantage is it’s interface but even that isn’t as great as it could have been.

11. jdfoster00

Whats that time in GMT London (+-0) ? :)

12. Gekidami

^ If its 6:00 CET then its 5:00 GMT…

13. onlineatron

The only thing I want to hear from Kaz is ‘SCEA can do it’s own thing from now on, we’re going to back off’.

Most of the awful, awful nonsense from Sony is down to the Japanese HQ being closed off and out of touch with modern, western gaming.

I admire Jack Tretton, enjoy his E3 spiel, but moan and groan any time I see Kaz give a speech.

14. Erthazus

I hope they will say: We sold Playstation brand to Microsoft :D

*Internet explodes*

:d nah, jk!

15. Christopher Jack

@13, What ‘awful, awful nonsense’?
    The only negative thing about Sony or Sony Computer Entertainment in recent times is their network security breach & the lack of PR regarding it – Still, what little info we got from it was still more than someone like Google, Apple or Microsoft would provide.

@14, I’d prefer Microsoft Game Studios or Sony Computer Entertainment to purchase Nintendo rather than each other because Nintendo isn’t exactly in the same competition as either Sony or MS, they’re more or less doing their own little thing while Sony & MS are tearing each others throats.

16. daytripper

hopefully it will finally get sorted

@christopherjack, you cant help bringing xbl into it can you?

17. Christopher Jack

@16, I was asking a relevant question. Didn’t you notice the question mark?

18. speedxl01

@15 I support your comments about PSN, I won´t pay to have online, when it´s free on PC and other consoles.

I don´t think Nintendo has trouble with their finance, and I wouldn´t like that it were bought, it would mean less competition and less quality for gamers.

19. daytripper

of course i did and i was asking why because i dont think its relevant. to me its like whats going on on n4g, psn is down with all the chaos, start picking at xbox live. ridiculous.

oh and before you start xbox live has its faults, many in fact imo

20. Christopher Jack

@19, No, i’m not trying to start a flame war, I’m just plain curious. The thing about this site is that we only have a few fanbois. We all have our preferences but 99% of us are too smart to take any negative thing said about their own console personally. We’ll debate for the lulz but other than 1 or 2 regulars, we don’t normally turn it into a squabble.

21. Erroneus

You are forgetting summertime in UK and EU, which means UK and EU are one hour further ahead then normal and it’s not summertime in Japan right now.

So that’s 6am UK and 7am EU.

http://www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc is great, as it also has info on DST in the different countries.