Rumor – Starhawk to get official reveal next month

Friday, 29th April 2011 15:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

A source close to SystemLink has told the site that Sony plans to reveal Lightbox’s rumored Starhawk next month.

According to the site, the third-person shooter is being build on a new engine, is to be released on disc instead of digitally like previous games in the series, and will contain a full single-player campaign with jeeps, tanks, and spaceships.

The maps will supposedly represent different planets with “small areas for ground combat,” in a universe Earth is not a part of.

Most of this information was outed last month by a Saudi site, which had us wondering at the time if there were two different WarHawk games in the works.

Looks like that is not the case, since spaceships were noted this time around.

Until next month, then.

Thanks, ScrawlFX.

1. frostquake

Yeah..I want..it was one of the few games, that I played online on the PS3, till ppl started Cheating so bad!

2. Knight-20

Most of this information was outed last month by a Saudi site

Those Saudis are fantastic.

3. jdfoster00

Yes can’t wait! Great game WarHawk was! This will be class with great graphics etc and let’s hope they have more modes and maybe even a singleplaye? idk but can’t wait!

4. onlineatron

I want to be able to take off from the ground, and fly into space.

That’s what I want, it’s the only thing I’ve ever wanted.

Give it to me.

5. Esper

Its looks like sony is going to reveal everything in their E3 press conference a month in advance again.

6. Erthazus

Lets reveal everything in advance until E3 and lets watch MONTAGE on the Sony’s Press Conference = BRILLIANT!

7. DrDamn

It would be nice if there was a reason for it to be 3rd person. Warhawk didn’t need it and it would have been a better game first person (imo). If a game has a cover mechanic or needs good local spatial awareness then I can see why third person is useful. Didn’t see anything in Warhawk though.

8. Aimless

@7 I’d much prefer it remain third-person.

For one thing we’re already overrun with FPS titles, it’s nice for the game to be instantly differentiated. It also makes switching between the various vehicles more coherent as your perspective is consistent, and gives troops more spacial awareness so they aren’t stuck wearing blinkers whilst the various vehicles mow them down; one of my favourite aspects of Warhawk is that a single soldier on the ground can be just as effective as someone in a tank when played properly. I also see the personalisation of soldier and craft as a key appeal of the progression system, too.

9. Christopher Jack

@8, Completely agreed!

10. woodyrulesok

@8, spot on.

11. DrDamn

Some fair points, but BFBC2 works just fine without any of those things. Its a personal preference for me, I find third person detracts from the immersion and requires the targeting system to be very good, something Warhawk didn’t quite have for me. It was a hell of a lot of fun though. Loved the scale of things and the balance of vehicles and being just a foot soldier was very well done as you mentioned.