The Imperial Agent from SWTOR gets the hands-on treatment

Thursday, 28th April 2011 19:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

RPS was given the opportunity to play Star Wars: The Old Republic for a couple of days, and the site has now posted commentary regarding its hands-on time with the MMO.

If you head on over there for a read, you will also see some new shots of the Imperial Agent as well as its pal the Bounty Hunter.

Here’s an excerpt:

The Imperial Agent was interesting in their use of cover. Only Tabula Rasa has really tried this before, and TOR certainly does a far better job. Holding down Shift revealed all the available cover spots, of which there are always very many, and hitting my cover button Impy would dive and roll into safety. And when in cover I had access to all of my attacks, as few as they may have been. Out of cover I was far more vulnerable, meaning my class made a genuine difference to how I approached combat. Melee was a last resort, leaving me far better suited to ‘sniping’ from cover.

Eurogamer also has a video posted for the Imperial Agent here.

RPS said it will post its impressions of the game’s PvP element next week. We’re really looking forward to hearing about that.

It’s thought that SWTOR will be released sometime by the end of the year, but neither EA nor BioWare have confirmed an exact date.

1. Grimrita

This game does worry me as being one of THE most hyped games ever but will deliver very little upon release. Having had some hands on time myself, it is cool but as RPS mention, very limited.

Developers are simply too scared from moving away from the WoW formula to create an outstanding experience (like Galaxies did at launch) where you could roam and do whatever you wanted.

Time will tell and I hope this delivers…

2. blackdreamhunk

I wonder what the price point will be

3. Grimrita

My guess will be around £8.99 a month swiftly followed by micro transactions in time for Xmas.

4. Phoenixblight

After talking to Daniel Erickson who is the lead writer and Writing Director for Bioware last night, I can’t want to play the game and see what they have done with it.

5. Grimrita

One of the devs at Bioware has made a comment about John Walkers write up -

Originally Posted by GeorgZoeller
    This is a misunderstanding. The author only saw the base class ability progression on the trainer. After getting your Advanced Class, your character gets abilities from 3 sources:

Base Class, every few levels
    Advanced Class, every few levels
    Skill Points (player distributed), 1 point each level.

At level 14, the average character will have a wide range of abilities, many of which will be active combat abilities. The number of abilities you have and when you learn them is still being examined and is likely to change as we continue development.

But you don’t have to take my written word for it, here’s some exchange I had with the people from the fansites on that very topic this week: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p15pE…edded#t=14m35s

Hope that takes care of your fears!

Link

6. HBrown

Many classes in SWTOR, the most i like is Smuggler. Although Smuggler is totally opposite to ImperialAgent but, I also like IA playing style :)
    for more about IA, I would recommend you to visit http://www.swtorimperialagent.net
    tell me what you think.