Sony: Delay in info leak warning due to “forensic analysis”

Wednesday, 27th April 2011 08:03 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Sony has issued a new statement on last week’s PSN info leak, seeking to explain why it took the firm nearly seven days to report data as having been compromised.

Said the firm, speaking on the PS Blog:

“We wanted to take this opportunity to clarify a point and answer one of the most frequently asked questions today.

“There’s a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers’ data being compromised. We learned there was an intrusion 19th April and subsequently shut the services down. We then brought in outside experts to help us learn how the intrusion occurred and to conduct an investigation to determine the nature and scope of the incident. It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis, and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach. We then shared that information with our consumers and announced it publicly yesterday evening.

“For those who were looking there’s also an FAQ with some more on frequently asked questions.

“Thank you for your continued patience and support.”

1. distraet

“Thank you for your continued patience and support.” Oh, ye hopeful.

2. Johnny Cullen

CSI: Sony

3. frostquake

They need to allow all users LIMITED access to PSN, so they can at least change all their Info and delete information. As of right now, all Users can do is twiddle their thumbs!

4. distraet

Johnny, this might be a case for Horatio and his sunglasses.

5. Johnny Cullen

“You might say the hackers are about to become… a bunch of hacks.”

*Won’t Get Fooled Again starts blasting out*

6. Phoenixblight

Its too late now whether or not the hacker went and got the info they have it. Best bet is getting with he 3 credit bureau and checking to see any fraudulent charges. The system is down so they don’t have access to it.

7. frostquake

I know it is too late now, but since they have it now, just let everyone sign in and change everything. That way users can move forward.

8. viralshag

“We learned there was an intrusion 19th April and subsequently shut the services down.”

Does that mean they could have been in the system before that too?

Also, if you are really worried about fraud, just call your bank and have them send you a new card. That way when you go to a site where you use your card, just remember to change the password while you are there.

Easy way to secure your monies and work through the countless log ins and stuff. I’m just going to wait and see if I see any dodgy transactions.

9. Christopher Jack

A little panicked this morning, went to check my mail & I was logged off & it took forever to allow me to get in… Then I remembered that I lent my laptop to my sister who refuses to use private browsing on the browser meaning I have to re-log onto everything she used, the slowness was because my wifi was playing silly buggers on me =\
    I know that I’m being paranoid but I am scared of hackers, first thing I do when I get a new computer (or friend asks me to help him set it up) Is go to internet explorer, download Mozilla Firefox so I don’t even have to look at internet explorer ever again, then I download several anti malware/virus/trojan programs. I don’t have a clue on how to block actual hacks but at least it can help protect against many of their malicious programs.
    These modern day hackers are the digital age house burglars & when they mess around with your info, that’s worst than taking a dump in the living room.

10. Zeekiz

^

Lol at antivirus, I haven’t run antivirus actively in about 5 years, and my computer is malware free. One scan every 12 months to see that big fat 0 :-).

11. NightCrawler1970

Is changing Playstation ID and password will change throphies too?

12. SamaT

^Just change your password. What do you need to change your ID for?

13. NightCrawler1970

@12 because SONY IS FUCKED!!! and so am i, someone took $39,99(EA game) charged by credit card, and the worst thing is ever(if you are married) A PISSED OFF WIFE :P

14. lexph3re

Nightcrawler do yourself a favor. If its a cc linked to you bank account call your branch and inform them it wasn’t authorised by you and they will send you a affidavit and then refund your money. If its a cc company call the company and tell them it was a fraudulent charge that you didn’t authorise and bam they will look into contact sony then credit your account.

Your not a dead man seeing how the problem is an easy fix over the phone