Report – Obsidian hit with redundancies

Tuesday, 26th April 2011 17:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

According to various tweets from Obsidian employees, it looks as though the firm has been hit with layoffs.

According to a tweet from Akil Hooper a producer and designer who has been at the firm 11 years survived seven different round of lay-offs, but sadly not the eighth: ” 11 years, nearly a dozen shipped titles, Designer, Lead, Producer. 1 canceled game, survived 7 layoffs, 8th got me. Not a bad track record.”

A programmer at the firm, Justin Reynard, tweeted: “Today marks my 3 year anniversary working at Obsidian Entertainment. To my coworkers (and sadly the ones we’ve lost) you guys are amazing.”

Another tweet, from QA tester Ashley Betters reads: “No longer work at Obsidian. I guess this means I will have to start buying my own pens.”

According to the forum post on Obsidian which gathered all these tweets, reports that it’s a possibility producer Tess Treadwell and designer Sydney Wolfram as well as three interns have also been laid off as well.

We’ll send a mail and see what we can find out for you.

Thanks, Bendu.

1. Hunam

As much as Obsidian is one of my favourite companies with some of the best designers in gaming, they also have massive flaws. I mean AP was really truly terrible (and micromanaged to death by a head honco who doesn’t know what he’s doing). Plus they have the dubious record of having almost all of their games loaded to the brim with bugs, that’s on top of the fact most of their games are graphically dated by years when they come out. They’ve never got their technical side in order and they made a few mistakes on the business side too and I think so far they’ve mostly survived on luck. If it wasn’t for Bethesda wanting to make New Vegas they’d have been closed a long time ago.

2. Grimrita

@ 1
    Its never nice when people lose their jobs. Their games arent the only ones littered with bugs either. Publishers are squeezing developers to tighter deadlines, forcing them to release a half finished product – then when it all goes wrong, the developer gets kicked in the balls.

Its about time publishers stepped up to the plate and grew some balls. They need to shift focus from quantity to quality. Sadly, we will all be long gone by the time they wake up.

3. Hunam

I kinda moaned about that in the New Vegas thread. But Obsidian are actually the worst of the lot in this regard. I’ve followed them since day 1 and considering the state of their games on release I find it a small miracle they’re still going.

4. ManuOtaku

Well mass effect was as buggy as Alpha protocol, and nobody said a thing about it, and i like it a lot Alpha Protocol, for me it was Mass Effect with spies, but this is my humble opinion.

5. Hunam

The game barely worked, had near impossible boss fights, looked like a PS2 game and on the PC had broken controls. There isn’t a lot left they could do wrong after that lot.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

Obsidian is bleeding for a long time now, and someone needs to put this critically wounded shell of a company to its eternal rest.