Iwata: No Wii successor until after FY2012

Tuesday, 26 April 2011 07:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has confirmed that the successor to Wii that was announced yesterday won’t launch in FY2012, meaning it’ll release after April 2012.

Iwata said the new console is coming because “it became difficult for developers to surprise customers with the current Wii.”

Despite speculation on his part that it might be a factor in the next hardware in the wake of 3DS’s showing at E3 last year, he said it may not feature 3D tech, insisting that it becoming one of the key points for it would have been difficult with the lack of 3DTVs in homes.

For the tech itself, Iwata said it would “offer something new for home game systems.”

The new hardware, thought to be codenamed Project Cafe, was confirmed for a 2012 release yesterday alongside confirmation of it being playable at E3 in June in a similar announcement to that of 3DS last year.

Thanks, Andriasang.