Hollywood actors approaching game devs for voiceover work, says Bethesda

Thursday, 21st April 2011 15:53 GMT By Stace Harman

Used to be a time when actors shied away from video game voice over work. Bethesda’s Todd Howard says that now they’re actively seeking it out.

Speaking at Bethesda’s showcase even last week, Howard explained how he thinks things have changed in the world of voice over work on account of video games reaching a level of mass consciousness.

“With a lot of these actors, there is a cool factor now to doing a video game. It’s not about the money. It’s about, ‘It’s really cool and my agent tells me it’s going to be good for me now instead of bad for me’.”

Howard believes that previously, an actor’s agent might advise them against the work because it wasn’t cool enough, but things have changed.

“I notice a lot more people doing it and they come to us,” he said

Of course, Bethesda is no stranger to working with big-name actors. Oblivion and Fallout 3 both feature a number of high profile names like Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean, Terence Stamp, Liam Neeson and Malcolm McDowell to name a few.

Howard said that the voice over credits for highly anticipated Elder Scrolls title Skyrim will offer comparable quality: “I think you all will be very impressed. It’s not just to put some name for marketing. It’s, ‘this person would be great’.”

Skyrim launches on PS3, 360 and PC on November 11.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Edo

The weakest part of Oblivion was the fact that the same people did voiceover for dozens of characters,so let’s hope that this time around it’s not going to be like that and that there will be more then three voiceover actors.

2. UuBuU

Having some high-profile names do some voice-acting in videogames is fine, just don’t go down the same route as Fable and treat it as a main selling point.

3. DeathJynx

Guild Wars 2 has some famous voice actors. Including the insanley cute red head from “The Guild”

4. DSB

Better writers > Famous actors.

As I recall the last Call of Dutys had a bunch of familiar faces, but I didn’t really care to recognize a single one, because they were usually busy delivering assinine nonsense.

I remember recognizing Chris Penn in San Andreas and I pick up on it pretty quickly when Jason Statham makes his way into a game. But that guy is everywhere.

Liam Neeson was incredibly bad in Fallout 3, but then his lines were obviously written by mentally deficient monkeys.

5. Telepathic.Geometry

I thought Liam Neeson was awesome in Fallout 3.

6. Dralen

I believe “COD: Black Ops” had Sam Worthington who played Jake Sully in the big “Avatar” movie. That’s probably where all the money went for the script :P.