Next Xbox and PlayStation not expected until 2014, say insiders

Wednesday, 20th April 2011 19:22 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

According to some industry insiders, it looks as though consumers will have to wait until 2014 for a new PlayStation or Xbox console.

Nintendo will be the first out of the gate

Various sources speaking with Kotau, claim both firm’s are waiting out the current gen consoles, in order to reap the most benefit from each, which would give Nintendo at the very least, two full years ahead should rumors of Project Cafe’s 2012 release prove true.

“Both MS and Sony are telegraphing to each other that they’re delaying, to milk the current [generation] and fill in previous craters better,” said one insider who worked with first-party companies told Kotkau.

Other sources who are under strict lip zipping from Microsoft and Sony agree with the 2014 target, but told Kotaku either could push for a 2013 should one or the other feel pressured.

According to the main source of this information, Microsoft will release a different Xbox SKU in 2013, but itwill not be the oft-rumored Xbox 720, only a Kinect-upgraded 360. Supposedly, Microsoft “is wrestling with whether to be profitable on day one,” or launch a new console at a loss as usual.

What the analysts think

“I think we’ll see a game of chicken between Sony and Microsoft,” M2 Research analyst Billy Pidgeon told Kotaku. “Sony definitely isn’t launching a successor before 2014 and could stand to benefit by having Microsoft launch first as PS3 builds in to North America and builds a strong position in Europe.

“Microsoft claims there’s a lot more room in Xbox 360 for developers to max out, but here PS3 could have a strong advantage.”

Pigeon said Sony will continue to capitalize on PS3 in order to make the most of the “headroom” still available to developers.

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter believes the slow economy is the main reason Sony and Microsoft will not be releasing a new system any time soon.

“I don’t think either Sony or Microsoft are interested in a new console till they can advance the technology, and they certainly don’t want to launch at a $600 price point,” he said. “It may take till 2014 to get 2TB hard drives, uber fast CPUs and state-of-the art graphics and sell at $400.”

This will allow Nintendo plenty of space in the market should it announce its rumored console during E3, as industry sources have claimed, and may in turn cause Microsoft and Sony to “quickly get a lot more serious about next generation,” added Pidgeon.

1. Hell-Raiser-85

2014 sounds good to me.

2. Maximum Payne

I think only PC gamers like me want as soon as possible to release new consoles?

3. Dannybuoy

Fine by me. I can totally wait until then. My PS3 still has some legs on her yet. Anyway, can’t we just enjoy what we have today and not get too het up about what tomorrow brings?

4. spiderLAW

Agreed
    I am totally fine with what i got now. I do have a powerful PC rig and its got great graphics on all its games but im not super anxious to buy more consoles right now for the sake of higher end graphics. There is nothing wrong with the graphics now and 2014 seems close enough for me.

5. Erthazus

… =\

6. Maximum Payne

Little bit concern for ID they are going to release only RAGE and Doom 4 on this generation :( They are little bit late but i hope they are make it bringing great graphic…

7. UuBuU

2014? Is this a joke…?

That’s too long. They’re already outdated and too far behind PCs as it is. Imagine how old and outdated they’ll feel by 2013.

I hope developers take note of this and have the balls to release more PC-exclusive games.

I also hope Nintendo put pressure on Sony and Microsoft with whatever they have lined up.

8. Erthazus

I agree with UuBuU on everything he said.

the only thing tha can save this industry are PC exclusives.

9. OrbitMonkey

@7&8 Lol, you guys serious? Millions of console owners DO NOT GIVE A SHIT about what graphics a pc can run, why would they. As for saving the industry, from what? From drowning in the millions of dollars profit its drowning in? Oh & I doubt Ninty are about to drop a uber console, last time I checked it’ll be “comparable” to the HD competition.

10. Erthazus

@9, i don’t care about millions and it’s not because of GRAPHICS.

consoles don’t have decent ram for decent AI, outdated physics. In this HD era we see only straightforward Call Of Duties because of horrible hardware that can’t produce more then that.

Crappy sub HD image that is not HD at all.

also if you think that millions of dollars are drowning in you are mistaken a lot. There are games on the PC that use it’s potential like Shogun:Total Wr 2, Witcher 2, Stronghold 3, Anno 2070, Battlefield 3, ARMA 2 and much more so GTFO please with your delusional assumptions.

11. spiderLAW

Erth,….you missed the entire point of Orbit’s post. take a step back and read it over again. Im sure you’ll get it if you actually evaluate it first, you know, before getting pissy and moany over a video games discussion.

12. Cangriman

@7- That is fine by me, not everyone plays for graphics, and not everyone is a PC gamer.

Also, that means they have time to release a proper FUNCTIONAL console this time. I have a SNES that still works super fine, and a PS3 that have the YLOD twice. And we have better technology now… right.

And the game industry is like this because all the same games with different names.

13. OrbitMonkey

@10 I’m delusional in thinking the industry is making millions? Lulz, no sorry I think your wrong baby ;)
    P.s. About Shotgun 2, hasn’t that game got some bug issues?

14. Phoenixblight

You are that delusional? COnsole games sell compared to the PC 10:1

All those games you mentioned will never do as well as titles that have gone multiplat.

SO The PC games will for the most part function off of what the Console and future versions will do. Examples? Well there are so many that its too much to count but lets just Say Crysis 2 oh and Skyrim. Portal 2 is the perfect example you don’t need fancy top of technological advances to sell a game. You just need *shock* Gameplay. Go cry in a corner your PC elitist tears fuel the future consoles.

15. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I think id’s RAGE and DOOM4 are going to raise the bar for THIS generation of consoles.

16. UuBuU

@14 – Don’t talk such shite. It’s a complete myth that PC exclusives will automatically sell worse than console games.

Look at Blizzard for example. Their top franchises outsell pretty much anything that comes out for the PS3 and 360.

17. YoungZer0

@10: “In this HD era we see only straightforward Call Of Duties because of horrible hardware that can’t produce more then that.” Now that’s just lying, and you know it.

18. Phoenixblight

Yeah but Blizzard is the exception and do they utilize what the PC is about to what Erth standards are about? Not at all. That was my point.

Blizzard is a company that found gold mine before they even knew it was and now they have control of that.

19. UuBuU

@18 – There are plenty of PC franchises which sell millions. I was just using Blizzard as an example of a company who have made a phenominal amount of money from PC exclusives.

And i’m certain all of the games Erthazus listed will sell very well also.

20. Phoenixblight

“And i’m certain all of the games Erthazus listed will sell very well also.”

“If more developers started releasing games which go beyond what the current consoles are capable of, the PC market will only continue to grow.”

21. DSB

You can definitely make the same kind of money on the PC as you can on either of the consoles. I think it was Ubisoft who pulled that off for one of their recent fiscal years.

Although their console line-up may not have been stellar.

Piracy is always going to be a factor, but I think hardware is the biggest hurdle. You could try to brand hardware as “cool” like any of the consoles, but I think the interest would be pretty limited. Because so are people’s wallets.

Ultimately people know they’re gonna be spending thousands of dollars to keep up.

I don’t think gaming is really wired for a PC aristocracy, those days are gone. But pretty much the only reason not to make a serious investment in PC exclusives today, remains the stockmarket, which demands maximized profits 24/7, every minute of every hour. As long as you don’t have special interests like Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony enforcing exclusives to sell people on their goods, so they can keep taxing developers through licences, then I don’t see how very many investors would jump on it.

That’s definitely a shame.

22. UuBuU

“You must of misread what I said because I said that wouldn’t do as well as if they had put themselves on the consoles as well.”

Shogun 2 and Anno wouldn’t work well at all on consoles, so it’s fairly pointless saying they’d sell better on multiple platforms. They probably would in the short run, but the games would be inferior as a result which would affect sales in the long run.

As for the Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3, they will be on consoles as well, but for those games, the PC version comes first ahead of the inferior console versions.

“Very much doubt it. 700$ machine to play on the computer with better graphics or a 300$ machine that all I have to do is plug and play. Hard choices there…..”

Not sure what point you’re trying to make here exactly… but trust me, if more developers released games which go beyond what a console can handle, the PC market will grow.

23. Phoenixblight

Developers won’t its that simple the fear of piracy. Valve, CD Projekt even Blizzard is moving into the console market with D3. There is a reason why this is the case less piracy, more money. It will always be about where the money is once upon a time that was the PC but those days are gone. I am not saying PC gaming is dead because that is not the case but the consumers are going for the console for a reason.

It simple just plug and play, no worrying about if this game will work with my PC or will this video card support what I want. Consoles allow for the consumer just plug it and play without so much as a thought about whether it will play or not and it allows developers to not worry about the many variations and customizations along with the huge number of piracy as they do with the PC .

24. UuBuU

@23 – Giving in to piracy like that isn’t the solution.

Developers of PC-exclusive games should make use of Steam, which is pretty good at cracking down on piracy.

25. Cangriman

I totally agree with you on that. I think that is the main problem with PC games. That not everyone is so hardcore as to spend a lot of money building gamin rig to be able to play their games at full maximum resolution.

Now I plan to build a gaming rig but that because it will work fine for video encoding, no for playing games.

26. Malmer

By 2014 there won’t be a console market, because a smartphone will have more power than our existing consoles. There need to be a new Xbox or PS in 2012. The old consoles will still live on, but the early adopters will start buying the new consoles.

I wouldn’t mind paying for a new xbox model for christmas 2011 or, say, march 2012.