PSA: Portal 2 has in-game store similar to Team Fortress

Tuesday, 19th April 2011 20:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Portal 2 launched today, and it includes an in-game store similar to the one found in Team Fortress 2, and it contains a “robot enrichment” feature will all sorts of goodies.

Some of these goodies include things such as new skins, hats and gestures – which will come in handy with the game’s co-op feature.

A trading tab is also present in the store, but it is not active yet.

If you are not interested in the store, according to BigDownload, you can ignore it without it hurting your gameplay experience.

Check out our Portal 2 feature here, and the reviews round- up here.

1. Prof.Dr.Moertel

I think I can live with that. I mean, I don´t think that´s stuff that would or necessarily needs to be in the purchased game.

“you can ignore it without it hurting your gameplay experience.”<—- Most important fact

2. The_Red

$40 game, $80 day one DLC with skins and other stuff that should have been in the game. It’s like releasing Forza 3 and charging for all customizing options. Thankfully Valve didn’t make Forza 3. Hopefully they won’t do something like this in Forza 4.

3. Crab of Thunder

Would it have hurt so much to have just given that to you already? DLC is really getting on my nerves lately.

4. Erthazus

yeah and it pisses me off to be honest,.

5. Freek

Well, that’s certainly changed!

“We make more money because more people buy it, not because we try and nickel-and-dime the same customers.”

Now that’s funny!

6. The_Red

This is NOT real DLC.
    DLC is additional content made after the game goes gold and adds more play time. This is extra costume. Like Capcom charging for alternative costumes of SF4 only what Valve doing is even worse.

At least a game like Mortal Kombat has 2-3 alternative per character and lots of single player content on the disk without DLC. That game’s problem is the online pass thingy but at least new buyers don’t have any issue but here, Valve is stealing from everyone, even those that buy the game new.

7. DSB

The difference between this and most other DLC is that Valve is purely selling aestethic upgrades. There’s absolutely nothing forcing you to buy it, as opposed to 99% of other developers, who’ll happily slice up finished games and sell ready made content as scrap DLC.

I agree that skins should always be left to the user, it builds a community and unleashes the imagination, but with the new DLC era, we’re left to buy from the developer yet again. And anyone who puts money down is actively supporting it. EA are charging 5 dollars for a skin pack for BC2 as well.

Still, the fact that Valve aren’t selling actual content, but rather knick knacks, means that I can’t get my panties in a twist over it. Why would I want to pay for an emote or a jpeg to go on my bot? Clearly it’s fans only.

I was a bit more offended when Dragon Age: Origins asked 60 euro for a full game, or 50 euro for a stripped one. I guess it’s better than not letting you choose, but there’s no point in going for a less than complete experience.

@6 Do you need a kleenex? Where exactly, is Valve taking your money without your consent? And do you realize that Portal 2 isn’t a fighting game, which would indeed traditionally carry alternate skins?

No, I’m sorry. Really, I think that Valve are going to use this money to launch an extermination campaign of ethnic minorities across the state of Washington. You’re right, they’re clearly as bad as Hitler.

8. Gekidami

lol Horse armour.

9. The_Red

Sure, Portal 2 is no fighting game. A 5 hour singleplayer game with a co-op component for almost full price shouldn’t have the additional aesthetic parts because?!
    I miss old days when a game like Onimusha or Resident Evil 4 had lots of additional costumes and other aesthetic material on disk and had 20 hours of gameplay.

10. DSB

@9 Let’s just agree that you’re sniffling and stomping your feet over a game that you bought, without as much as waiting to read a review, or see what you got in the box.

How about taking just the slightest shred of responsibility for your own actions, instead of blaming people who are really just selling a product, that you are completely free to consider, or totally ignore at your leisure.

11. Dralen

It’s really stupid how people are getting in a big tantrum over something so small and insignificant.

I’m 7 hours into the single-player story now and I already can’t wait to play it through again, not to mention the co-op, which I am pretty excited about trying out with a friend.

12. Phoenixblight

Thats pretty funny I got in argument with someone about whose responsible, the company for trying to sell the game or the consumer who buys a product and then whines about what the game did or didn’t come with. Research before you buy people.

13. DSB

Thing is, it’s totally fine to make a mistake. I didn’t feel too bright about preordering Crysis 2, and I regretted buying Mass Effect 2 on day one, but that decision is still purely on me, and not on the people selling it to me.

It’s also totally fair to buy a game and not like it – everyone should be critical – but it’s still not the developer that made you buy it, even less preorder it.

It’s also totally fair to feel cheated if a developer has made empty promises, but it’s just not good enough to relinquish your responsibility.

It’s totally fair not to like DLC, but it’s a fact of life now. You can always argue the nuances of the business models, or the ethics of stripping games, but it still doesn’t mean that anybody’s forcing you to buy it, even less stealing from you.

I didn’t like the price or the way they sold Dragon Age: Origins, so even though I wanted it, I didn’t buy it (ironically, later my brother bought it for me as a surprise because he thought it was amazing).

You can always argue the nuances, but you can’t say that anyone made you buy something, and even less preorder it. It’s you, and only you.

14. The_Red

Ok, I’m a grumpy old gamer. Just consider this:
    If FFXIII had you pay for cosmetic content, it would have cost $5,000.

(Not my own words. From a user on another site).

15. DSB

@14 I agree with it. I wish everything was open source, or at least open to the community on release. I just don’t agree that Valve = Hitler for selling people funny hats that do absolutely fuck all in the game itself.

16. Lounds

Whats wrong with this, its not like it’s essentail to the game, it’s just valves way of making a bit of pocket money, it’s not there fault people are dumb and buy it, i’m pretty sure theres a way on PC to probably get these items free online and put them in the C:\

17. Blerk

You can never have enough hats.