Madden NFL creative Director farewells EA Sports

Monday, 18th April 2011 02:06 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Madden NFL series creative director Ian Cummings has left EA Sports, along with a number of prominent developers.

Cummings announced his departure on the Madden NFL blog.

“I’ve had the privilege of helping to create world-class gaming experiences like Madden; a franchise that has touched peoples’ lives,” he wrote.

“For that I am truly grateful and I thank all those that I’ve worked with throughout the years. I leave the Madden NFL 12 development team with confidence that it is in great hands.”

Over the weekend, PastaPadre reported that a number of senior development staff had left EA Tiburon, the studio responsible for the Madden series, including the upcoming Madden NFL 12.

The ex-staffers are said to be joining a new studio called Row Sham Bow. According to the Orlando Business Journal, the new studio is in the same local area as EA Tiburon, will create 60 jobs, and was founded by a senior Tiburon member.

Thanks, Go Nintendo.

1. dragonsight

im shocked at this. madden is the last game i would think that would have a creative director. asking $60 for a roster update is not very creative.

2. DiodeX

Maybe the new creative director may be creative, might even make the gameplay mechanics work as well.

3. nofear360

@1 and 2: You two should know that it’s not all up to the creative director. A creative director and his/her team have to work within the limitations of budget and time, none of which are favourable for the Madden dev team, believe me.

It’s the executive management in charge of the franchise/EA Sports label that’s to blame.

4. dragonsight

@3 so what. laying blame and knowing what goes on in a company is none of my concern. my concern in my money and getting value from it. madden =/= value for my money.

5. DiodeX

@3, that’s no excuse for Zone coverage do be broken, they seem to break things that worked in previous versions and then sweep under the carpet by calling people “moaners”
    Can’t wait for surprise on side kicks and concussions(which can/will be negated by turning injuries off) ¬¬