Gears of War 3: multiplayer beta starts today, Epic talks about defining HD gaming

Monday, 18th April 2011 15:49 GMT By Stace Harman

With the GoW 3 multiplayer beta beginning today for those that bought Bulletstorm’s Epic Edition, it’s the beginning of the end of Epic’s “HD defining” trilogy. Executive producer Rod Fergusson talks about the journey.

Epic estimates that around 1 million gamers will take part in the beta, which will not only provide invaluable data and feedback to the developer but will also allow participants to unearth special items for use in the full game.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Fergusson said that when in comes to pushing the limits of HD gaming, Epic is competing not just with other developers but with itself and the memories that gamers have of previous Gears games.

“[People] take it for granted. That was one of our biggest problems with Gears 1 to Gears 2. Your memory is far better than reality,” Fergusson said. “With Gears 2 we were competing with the memory of Gears 1 and what people remembered it was like.”

Fergusson acknowledged that it’s a trap he himself has fallen into when reviewing GoW 3 cinematics, but said that a quick viewing of GoW 2 footage disabused him of the notion that the two games are the same.

“Then I went back and watched Gears 2 cinematics and I was like, ‘Holy crap.’ The stuff that was wrong with our facial animation and our lip-synch… In my memory, this stuff was jaw dropping. We’re way better in Gears 3 than we were in Gears 2. I’m excited for people to see that.”

The full interview, in which Fergusson also discussed four-player co-op and Gears of War pyjamas, can be found over on Eurogamer.

Gears of War 3 is set for release for Xbox 360 on September 20 in the UK and US.

1. Zana

The limits of HD gaming? Don’t make me laugh.

2. ManuOtaku

I never did Betas in my life before this, but this one is making me consider it, i got the bulletstorm beta invitation, i think i will try it.

3. Patrick Garratt

I have a code, but I honestly don’t want to spoil it. I’m going to wait.

4. StolenGlory

^ Yep, me too.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

So the pre-order beta starts next Monday then?

6. Fin

SOME COMMENT ABOUT HOW THIS ISN’T HD GAMING BUT THE PC IN MY ROOM IN THE BASEMENT IN MY PARENTS HOUSE APARTMENT CAN DO GRAPHICS A JILLION TIMES BETTER.

REFERENCE TO HOW CRAP THE GRAPHICS OF MOST CONSOLE GAMES ARE.

REFERENCE TO HOW BATTLEFIELD WILL BE BETTER THAN EVERYTHING ELSE.

7. YoungZer0

“defining HD gaming” actually means “we only brought good graphics”

8. Dralen

@3 and 4

I don’t see how you can spoil much if I’m honest, it’s exactly the same as the last two games, just some very small improvements. Frankly I’m a little disappointed. They didn’t try and raise the bar at all, and it’s basically Gears of War 2 with dedicated servers. Hopefully we’ll see a better single-player experience, because Gears of War 2 campaign bored me to death.

9. spiderLAW

^
    sounds about right except how did Gears2 bore you man! it was great. i did prefer part 1 though.

10. LOLshock94

worst beta ive ever played ive been playing the game since the 11th and its honestly the most broken game in history HOW CAN THEY FUCK UP THE SHOTGUN 3 times in a row EPIC are just EPICLY SHIT AT MAKING SHOTGUNS

11. Ireland Michael

@10 I think someone misunderstands the point of a beta.

12. LOLshock94

im currently learning game tests in college and i have played ALOT of betas but this beta is completely broken its as if they made the game in a day

13. Ireland Michael

@12 Then you should understand that the point of a beta is to catch these types of problems so they can be fixed for the full game.

14. Phoenixblight

If this is true then you would understand what beta is about. Gears is about the multiplayer if you don’t let the players test it and give the devs feedback you are just shooting yourself in the foot. It seems to me like you were thinking Beta = free trail and you were disappointed.

15. LOLshock94

ive played quite alot of BETAS but its just GOW beta thats bad and its beyond me that they were thinking of releasing the game 2 months ago when its completely broken the weapons are fucked up the movement isnt up to standers and EPIC promised that there was no host power but sadly there wrong as always. and what i heard from alot of my friends epic released a closed beta on January and they said they havent changed a thing since the beta now just proves epic are lazy and couldnt give a shit

16. Dralen

Although I’m a little disappointed, I’m very much enjoying it. It’s no longer a frustrating game now that there are dedicated servers in play, and I really like how tactical and team-based the game is. Yes, one amazing player can turn the tide of a battle, but if you play as team, you definitely have the advantage.

17. ColeAugustus

If anyone’s still interested in getting a Gears Of War 3 beta key, I found some being handed out on a blog.

I don’t know if any of the keys are left, but you can try here: