Total War: Shogun 2 DX11 patch due “first week of May”

Friday, 15th April 2011 16:04 GMT By Stace Harman

That’s the word from the community manager on the Total War forum. He’s also “The Creative Assembly Lieutenant’, so it’s best not to argue.

In a recent post on the forum, community manager Craig Laycock announced:

“We’re planning to roll out some fairly substantial fixes in the coming weeks and months. The first stage of this is Patch 2 which, we’re thrilled to announce, will also upgrade the engine to DirectX 11. This means those of you with DX11-capable cards will be able to access features such as hardware tessellation and enhanced shadowing. Patch 2 will also bring Anti-Aliasing support.”

A number of fixes and modifications to the multiplayer game elements will also be included in patch 2, which Laycock says the team are aiming to release in the first week of May.

The full post can be found over on the Total War forum.

Total War: Shogun 2 was released for PC in March and currently holds a very respectable Metacritic rating of 90.

1. Grimrita

I had no idea that Anti-Aliasing was exclusive to DX11 cards?! Lazy bastard developers! This is the first TW game that I have stopped playing within a month of getting it. A shallow game compared to the likes of Empire.

Dont let the metacritic rating fool people, this game is awful compared to previous TW outings and multiplayer is ultra broken – the big deal for this game.

2. UuBuU

@1 – Shogun 2 is far from awful.

Sure, there’s less replay value in singleplayer than previous TW games, but that was kind’ve to be expected given the setting.

I also wouldn’t call multiplayer “ultra broken”. I’ve completed 2 co-op campaigns and had around 50 online battles without any problems whatsoever, so it can’t be that broken.

All in all, it’s a decent game. Maybe not the best in the series, but still worth the money.

3. DSB

I hear from friends that it’s quite good, but ultimately it has a lot of the same shortcomings as the other games. Especially the campaign AI makes very little sense.

Either way, not interested in another melee Total War. I reckon my next outing will be The Great War mod 5.0.

Thanks for turning me onto that forum Grim! Thumbs up.

4. Grimrita

@2 considering multiplayer was the ‘big deal’ for this light weight TW game, 3 patches on and people are still having issues with it.

Yet again Sega announce a release date and release the game no matter what state its in. This one takes the biscuit. Its completely dumbed down compared to other TW games, excluding NTW – no AA, no dx11, silly AI, multiplayer in a mess – the forums are littered with people who cant even get the game to work (probably because of the bink video!).

Such a shame that a once mightly RTS game has turned into this.

5. UuBuU

@4 – Multiplayer is never “the big deal” for a TW game. The series has always been about singleplayer, and I don’t think that’s changed with Shogun 2.

The singleplayer campaign is admittedly a lot shorter compared to previous TW games like Empire, but that has everything to do with the Japanese setting and nothing to do with Creative Assembly dumbing the game down or trying to short-change people in any way.

I think they’ve recognised the game might seem a little small compared to Empire and have put a little more effort into multiplayer to counter that. Some people have had problems with this feature, a lot like myself haven’t.

But even if you take multiplayer completely out of the equation I still think the singleplayer is more than worth the money I paid for the game. What it lacks in quantity it makes up in quality, with VAST improvement to AI in particular.

The people who whine about AI ‘cheating’ are idiots who just can’t handle that this is the first TW game to actually challenge the player. Personally I think the AI is amazing. It actually feels like other clans are actively trying to win the game and will do everything to try and stop me when I become too powerful.

Diplomacy has also come a million miles since older TW games. Rome gets a ton of praise because the setting was so great, but AI/diplomacy was very dire. In fact, when Rome 2 sees the light of day, I think people will really begin to appreciate the great gameplay improvements Shogun 2 has introduced.

6. Grimrita

The AI only seems smarter because the fortress has been dumbed down so it doesnt get confused when it attacks. I had the AI completely block the entrance to the door and get stuck ( http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/576668016244773244/8D23DE5571B9518CE6726A30520F0838F48E62DF/ ), add to that the corrupt saved files, its nothing more than annoying.

And multiplayer was the big selling point for Sega/CA because thats what they kept going on about and they launched it – broken!

Personally, I am done with the series and wont be getting any more until at least 8 months after launch, which is a shame as I would always love TW launches but treating fans like simple cash cows has to stop.

7. UuBuU

@6 – I was referring more to campaign AI. I never play single-player battles, so I can’t really comment on that.

I’ve experienced no problems whatsoever with corrupt save files though.

Anyway, the future of TW looks good to me. I loved Empire and had no problems with that despite loads of people whining about it being broken and awful (just as they’re doing with Shogun 2). I refused to buy Napoleon because it was too soon and too similar to Empire – seemed like a cash-grab to me. But now Shogun 2 has completely restored my faith in the series.

I can’t wait for the next TW game with the gameplay improvements Shogun 2 has introduced but a more interesting setting (hopefully Rome 2 or Medieval 3).