Quick Shots: Atmospheric Silent Hill Downpour screens released

Friday, 15th April 2011 20:17 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Konami sent over a new batch of screenshots from Silent Hill: Downpour.

The game is scheduled to release in fall on Xbox 360 and PS3.

1. Hunam

All those screen just remind me of Alan Wake.

Also, weird daytime thing going on there. Which will be the first time a SH has been set outside of the fog/dark realms if they are at least attempting to stick to lore. Well, I guess SH4 has some day time stuff when you were in the room. Basically, day time is ultra fucking rare in SH games.

2. onlineatron

I dig the Alan Wake aesthetic. Resistance 3 has some similar ‘Pacific Northwest’ looking sections: it’s a vibe I really like.

In fact, I like it to the point of enjoying the cinematography of the original Twilight film… /forshame.

3. Phoenixblight

No there was day time in the game in all of them really but they were so shrouded with fog couldn’t tell crap. Each silent Hill added a new area that wasn’t explored. I am not going to judge the game until I play it. But I will say I like the branching out each studio should try something new. As long as it captures the essence of Silent Hill and doesn’t do the crap the last one did. I am happy.

4. loveaya

I really hope that the new SH can make me remind the SH….

5. DuckOfDestiny

Atmospheric?

Looks like complete ass to me.

6. Noodlemanny

I REALLY hope this game turns out good. I could use another good silent hill.

7. Hunam

@3 Yeah I kind of meant day light, thought the fog and dark worlds you can’t really tell if it’s day or night seeing as time pretty much doesn’t move in those instances. But the only other time you can see a blue sky in SH was in SH4.

I don’t have anything against Downpour. Though each non team silent game has done something different, they’ve also played fast and loose with the core ideals of the series, which as usual is my bug bear.

8. Isaaclarke37

Screen looks like any other normal game, doesn’t feel like SH at all.

9. Phoenixblight

You and me both. I had no huge problems with Shattering, origins. My huge issues was Homecoming. Not sure what they were doing but even the movie captured the actual essence of Silent Hill where Homecoming hollywoodized it and made it more action orientated and gave reason to why Silent Hill it is because they forgot to feed their pet god.

10. Hunam

I thought that part of the story was good, it was the whole cultist thing. Homecoming is basically part film reality and part game reality and so it just messes the whole thing up because it’s two storylines fighting each other almost. In the games the cultists from the real world were some of the monsters in the fog/dark worlds, so having monster and people baddies at the same time in Homecoming was just weird and wrong. A lot of the other stuff like the clocks and the children stories were pretty amazing.

11. Phoenixblight

I agree if they removed the whole cultists andwent with the protagonist dealing with his issues along with meeting other people like the doctor, mayor, etc. It would have been a far better game. I liked the boss battles but I wouldn’t have done it like them instead I would have made it a theme like Silent Hill 2 did when you had to deal with not one Pyramid head but two with spears. Make those fights epic because they were rare. If want an action themed surivival game I will play Dead and I do but Silent Hill is a different beast and should not follow that series or RE.

12. osric90

Silent Hill died in 2004, please stop trying to make it a Frankenstein, developers.