Team Meat: No moderation on Super Meat Boy level editing

Wednesday, 13th April 2011 15:49 GMT By Stace Harman

In an interview with gamrFeed, Team Meat duo Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes have confirmed they won’t moderate fan-produced Super Meat Boy produce when they release its level editor. Expect carnage.

“We’re going to have to not have any moderation,” McMillen told the site. “We’re going to have to work on other things.”

No date has yet been placed on the level editor’s release, but in a recent blog post, Team Meat said: “The level editor is currently being rigged to Steam, and will soon be release as a public beta.

“The level editor update will also include a large update to Super Meat World, called ‘The Unknown,’ a chapter that randomly pulls high rated levels from the portal together to create and endless world of awesome.”

Don’t expect a 360 version of this. Elsewhere in the interview, the developers discussed the long slog to getting the game released and marketed on Microsoft’s XBLA platform: they’ve already openly criticized Microsoft for applying undue pressure during the platformer’s gestation period.

“It was worth the hassle, I’m pretty sure,” Refenes said, before McMillen added. “The more time that passes, the more we are OK and understand it as a learning experience.

“We know what not to do to make sure that stuff doesn’t happen to us next time. One of things being not working with Microsoft.”

And the pair were philosophical about their next project.

“I think it’s exciting,” said McMillen.

“I don’t feel any pressure for it to do better than Meat Boy,” Refenes added. “I just want to make something new. That’s the whole thing. It’s not about doing better. It’s not even about making money. It’s about making stuff and being happy.”

The full, 40-minute Skype interview can be found here

Super Meat Boy Ultra Edition was recently released for PC.

1. Patrick Garratt

I may actually buy this twice for the PC content. This is unheard of in Patland.

2. DSB

Expect cock.

I’m extremely tempted to buy the Ultra Edition myself, but I already bought the soundtrack on a whim, so I don’t know.

It is the best indie game I’ve played in years though.

3. Patrick Garratt

It’s brilliant. It’s honestly one of the best games I’ve played in ages full stop. I’ve been hammering that and Pac Man DX CE on XBLA recently. Love them.

4. DaMan

I can’t play this game, I can’t stand the erm, artstyle.

5. DSB

It was only a minor hindrance for me. I think the “placeholder” look is totally intentional.

And you really have several artstyles, with warp zones and glitch levels.

Intentional or functional really, because it’s quite easy to see all the obstacles and what you need to do. There’s no room for confusion in a game that requires that kind of timing and precision.

I think it was always going to split people down the middle. Personally I fucking love it. I haven’t been challenged like that for years, my fingers are begging for mercy after every tricky bandage get, and it’s never the game that kills my Meatboy, it’s always me. Proper engineering!

6. Erthazus

I love it. One of the best indie games (if not the best one)