More DLC for Marvel vs Capcom 3? Unlikely

Wednesday, 13th April 2011 14:13 GMT By Stace Harman

A short update on Capcom’s official European Twitter feed suggests that we’ve had as much downloadable content as we’re going get for Marvel Vs Capcom 3.

The update, posted yesterday in response to a fan question says:

“MvsC3 is out, done and dusted, no further announcements planned.”

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds has seen various bits of DLC since its release in February, including costume packs, additional characters – at least one of whom it was claimed was already on the disc – and ‘Shadow Mode’, which allowed you to “pit your skills against computer simulations of some of the game’s producers.”

Best make the most of those.

Tweet spotted by Kotaku.

1. Lehnsherr

Hell no! I will be pissed is this is the case, especially with all the talk and build-up they did around DLC. They preached lots of DLC characters and modes and to not fully deliver, that’s just rubbish. Bollocks to you Capcom!

2. OlderGamer

No problem, i am sure they will put a newer version of the game that includes said DLC already out. Maybe then they will put out yet another version with two more new chars. Then maybe even another version after that, with a couple new(old) chars and some new costumes!

Just like they did with Street Fighter IV.

All I can say is that MVC2 had 56 chars at launch.

3. Tadeg NEOgo

This is bullshit, I’m selling my MvsC3 today, then. No Phoenix Wright = epic fail.

4. Ireland Michael

@2 In fairness to Super Street Fighter IV, they added around 10 new characters, tonnes of extra game modes, rebalanced all the characters, *and* launched it at a budget price.

I was able to sell my copy of SFIV for €20, and pick up SSFIV for €30. So it ended up costing me a grand total of €10.

5. Lehnsherr

@2 At the same time, MVC2 was using sprites from former games. There were only a few characters there that weren’t just copy and pasted in, so older technology like that meant more characters taking up less space. They had to redesign everybody for MVC3, couple that with 360 still running on DVD format and that killed them being able to have 56 characters on one disc. They could have on PS3, but too many Microsoft fanboys would have complained. So, once again, the 360 has held back a cross-platform game.

6. deathgaze

5: Despite what you seem to think, a single character model and all it’s animations don’t take up that much space. I promise you that the entire game probably doesn’t take up any more than 3 GB. Maybe even less. A single character? No more than 20 megabytes on disc AT MOST. Neither console has enough RAM to hold even that much for 6 characters. So it’s probably closer to 1-2 megs per character.

Take your fan boy logic and leave it at the door. The police are here. :P

7. Ireland Michael

@5 Oh Jesus, shut up.

Do you want to know what the total amount of data on the MvC3 discs are?

2.8GBs

Two Point Eight Fucking Gigabytes.

Let that sink in for a moment.

This has *nothing* to do with hardware limitations. They could have added another 20 characters and *still* had tonnes of space left over on a 360. Capcom were just lazy fucks.

8. LOLshock94

yeah but marvel might have let capcom use the marvel title and characters for a certain amount of time!

9. OlderGamer

Yea I am not going to talk about it with ya Lehn, your out to lunch.

I fell bad for your if you honestly think that way. You must be carrying around a lot of hate. Needlessly too.

I somewhat agree with you Michael, but they could have added new chars via DLC. Also they are working on yet another SF IV release. I think it has less to do with a need for a retail release and more to do with a formula for retail releases.

I just think it is the way they planed it from the getgo.

I don’t know if MVC3 will be treated that way, i don’t know if they can do that within the limitations of the Marvel liscence.

10. Ireland Michael

@9 There is a problem with releasing characters solely as DLC. You can’t play them against other people unless they have them too. All that succeeds in doing is splitting the userbase, and that’s the last thing a fighting game needs.

There is always the option of providing a “free” pack so you can still fight against characters you don’t have, but when you do that people just accuse you of greed.

The Arcade Edition content will work across all three games – the original SFIV, SSFIV and the AE box release, which I assume is just SSFIV with the DLC on the disc. So if you own either of the originals, you don’t go even need to buy the boxed version.

11. Lehnsherr

@6 Looks like a fanboy post to me. After all the game components, and then the security software to make it on the given hardware and you are getting close to the DVD storage limit. AND, it’s like @4 stated, if they release a newer version,with more content, and a lower price point that the original did, then who cares? Trade the original in towards the new one. Buy it or don’t, I assure you, Capcom will keep on trucking.

12. Lehnsherr

Well, it’s good to see the trolls are out and about today.

13. Ireland Michael

@11 We took the security components on the disc into consideration. Even including them, the 360 disc would still have upwards of 3GBs of space left for actual content.

The only fanboy post here is yours.

The facts have already been presented to you. You’re the one ignoring them.

14. Lehnsherr

@13 Neither ignoring, nor a fan boy. I own all systems, and see the weaknesses in them all. So, by NOT posting “SONY RULES!” or “NINTENDO FTW,” that somehow STILL makes me a fanboy? Your logic is flawed. You say I am ignoring the facts, yet I have not argued a single point with anyone, just stated my view of the situation. I have not disputed anyone’s “facts.” But there are still those individuals that think they know the industry inside and out and feel the need to troll others.

15. The_Deleted

The prices they’re charging I’m surprised anyone’s complaining.

16. Ireland Michael

@14 I don’t need to “know the industry inside and out” to point out the simply fact that all of Marvel vs. Capcom’s 3 content doesn’t take up even half of a 360′s DVD.

You were the one claiming that the game’s lack of storage space was hampered by lack of storage space on the 360. You have been proven wrong, and you don’t have the decency to admit it when facts are staring you in the face. That makes you a fanboy – someone blindly supporting their opinion on something despite being proven wrong.

17. M. K.

lol Lehnsherr fail much?

Still sad news, I hope there’s still something to come there’re a lot of chars that I’m missing :(

18. Lehnsherr

@16 You continue to try and argue a point that I have not. I made an incorrect statement, and you continue to try and argue that. That doesn’t make me a fanboy, it makes you a troll. Being incorrect about something doesn’t make you a fanboy, it makes you incorrect.

19. Ireland Michael

@18 “Couple that with 360 still running on DVD format and that killed them being able to have 56 characters on one disc. They could have on PS3, but too many Microsoft fanboys would have complained. So, once again, the 360 has held back a cross-platform game.”

20. The1stMJC

Why release DLC characters when you can release another full retail version with more characters?

21. Rosseu

hahahaha

22. lexph3re

i think both sides are just hypothesizing. If you actually look at the format of the “finished” product of mvc3. It was promised multiple characters as well as spectator mode. How much is jill and shumas download size? 101 bytes but these were also said to already have been on disc. So we don’t really have a conclusive size on how big these characters are. If they were small then we should still get strider and frank like previously rumored/confirmed.

if you look at the file size of ssf4. xbox 360 has 5.9gb of data. The ps3 14gb which is probably do to better sound. But we will put the overall game at 5.9 for all the features of ssf4. Mvc3 doesn’t have half the content of ssf4 and technically less characters outside of dlc. I’m going to make my own speculation that there is a hindrance in the file sizes for mvc3 compared to ssf4.

If we were to get all the content like event mode,spectator mode, shadow mode, challenge mode and a better interface the data damn well could exceed 5.9 gb. It doesn’t make anyone a fanboy to speculate on why the game is so linear compared to ssf4. Or to speculate on how much dlc they could store to our hdd that initially should find its way on disc. before i deleted my ssf4 install data I was surprised to see it wasn’t 2.99 gb but 5gb and that’s from my costumes and the patches they put on the game.

So in my opinion and in L’s i do agree that there maybe some hardware limitations at hand. our theories aren’t facts because the only ones with the answers would be capcom. But, we are well within our right to believe the restriction is possibly there. His op wasnt so detailed in why he believes it because he was quickly bombarded with labels.

Next time just ask him why he believes it and does he have any reason to believe it? if not take his thoughts as opinion and keep trucking. the game will still sell. Also, O’conner link me to the site where they said that A.E will be downloaded because i’ve only heard of the retail copy. Thank you

23. Ireland Michael

What “hardware limitations”? The file size for all the data in MvC3 is around 2.8GBs, simple as that.

There is no hardware limitations going on here. Capcom were just lazy.

As for where it was said AE would be downloaded, it’s been said everywhere. It will be DLC for both SSFIV *and* SFIV. I’m not even going to waste my time finding a link.

24. Nozz

So only 2 characters as DLC and its “done and dusted”?

I mean you can’t even spectate online matches in lobbies FFS. I am actually glad I held back on the purchase for this one..

25. lexph3re

Get the stick out your butt mike. And I haven’t seen the sights confirming it, my friends and I have been following it. Saying a web page won’t kill you.

26. Ireland Michael

@25 http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/12/super-street-fighter-4-arcade-edition-listed-by-amazon-for-june/

Even the official trailer for the game says it. And Ono himself has stated it would be both DLC and a full retail product.

So… you were saying?

27. lexph3re

Thank you that’s all I needed. It wasn’t a challenge towards you for the link I just don’t like searching for stuff on my phone anymore. So ty for the find grumpy :-P