BioWare: MMO future “makes sense” for Mass Effect

Monday, 11th April 2011 00:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

BioWare’s Casey Hudson says the Mass Effect team is yet to figure out a workable multiplayer premise for the franchise, but sees the attraction of an MMO.

“We’ve been trying to think of a way that makes sense for people to experience Mass Effect with their friends,” the series executive producer told Game Informer as part of the latest issue’s coverage.

“We haven’t yet come up with a way to do that, so we don’t have anything to announce at this time. But, obviously, multiplayer is something we want to do more of in the future as a company.”

Asked about the possibility of an MMO, Hudson admitted he feels the franchise is a good match.

“A lot of people say that they want to see an MMO, I think that kind of makes sense for this universe,” he said.

“Part of what you’re trying to do is save the universe so you can live in it. That’s part of the promise, I think, for any great IP. It has to be a world worth saving…

“I think Mass Effect has that quality to it. If you get rid of the Reapers and win that, wouldn’t it be amazing to just live on the Citadel or just take a ship to Omega? That makes sense.”

Mass Effect 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 before the end of the year.

1. LOLshock94

let me guess bioware if this MMO does get made youll be a spectre and travel the galaxy to find and complete quests? if so COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!

hopefully you ll be able to be a turian and tbh i think mass effect suits to be an MMO unlike DC universe

2. AmiralPatate

It does not make sense to me. A multiplayer where your friends control the squad would make a lot more sense to me, but a MMO? Not being an universe-saving hero in Mass Effect is just pointless.

3. Uncontested

Bioware you are dead to me.

4. Mr-Brett

NOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

5. HauntaVirus

Money whores, they already have Old Republic.

6. YoungZer0

God no.

7. GwynbleiddiuM

“…And that’s why we’re doing SWTOR instead”….

8. viralshag

Too many games seem to think that becoming an MMO is the “next step” or something. Why can’t you just take those amazing little creative story brains of yours into a dark room somewhere and just think me up another game that can (hopefully) be great over another three games.

Great like Mass Effect though. Dragon Age: Origins and DA2 didn’t really do much for me. They should do one about being a pirate. Pirates are cool. I think that would be fun. Even better, being a space pirate!

Also, I think they should wait and see how SWTOR turns out. I’m hoping it will be good but I do have my doubts. Sometimes I think it is good to just do what you do best.

9. Hunam

I just think Star Trek Online should have had the same on foot battle system as ME2 had. Instead of the botched job it got.

10. viralshag

@ Hunam, Did you play STO? Is it worth giving a go if you are a fan of Star Trek?

That’s an open question to anyone else to offer their thoughts on it. Thanks :)

11. Hunam

It’s fun enough to be honest. Ship combat is good and it is all very star treky. Plus, it’s so cheap right now on retail that it’s hard to suggest you have a go for at least the free month. I did enjoy my time with it sure, it just needed a bit more meat to it’s bones for the on foot combat.

12. viralshag

Cheers :D

13. blackdreamhunk

if they make another consider doing it like guild wars

14. GwynbleiddiuM

@13 You know BioWare is now a money leech corp, right? They can’t x10 their money by providing another guildwars, they want another WoW. That’s basically why they did the SWTOR, it’s a well known and well grown brand, they’re testing the water and building their bases and a while after they’d announce both Dragon Age and Mass Effect MMO titles.

15. Adhara

Personally, I would love a Mass Effect MMO! There’s enough going on in the universe that you wouldn’t have to be Shepard, or even a Spectre, to have compelling plotlines and missions to follow.

I would totally roll a Turian. One of my brothers wants to play a Volus, and the other one would make a Quarian. IT WOULD BE AWESOME.

The one thing I want most to see if they do this is, they should make it a subscription service (with free trials) like World of Warcraft. In my experience, the free-to-play games all end up sucking because they require you to spend real money on in-game items that your character NEEDS to have in order to get anywhere. In WoW, since you’re already paying $15 a month, everything you need is in-game.

16. strikkebil

i hope they dont go down that road.