High V: Take-Two’s reveals to mark FY2012 over slate

Friday, 8th April 2011 09:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Take-Two has a solid line-up planned for the next 12 months, but that inevitable GTA V E3 reveal will define both the publisher’s year and the LA show itself.

Take-Two FY2012

Take-Two Interactive encompasses Rockstar and 2K.

Duke Nukem Forever and L.A. Noire both due after extended development periods.

2K Sports line up is going from strength to strength.

Expected to rock E3 2011 with major announces.

The name Take-Two isn’t as familiar to gamers as it should be, being the parent company of three major publishing brands: Rockstar Games, 2K Games, and 2K Sports, not to mention the more casual-oriented 2K Play.

Take-Two had a massive FY2011, with Red Dead Redemption and NBA 2K11 each racking up serious sales. It has a couple of huge franchises dropping in the next 12 months, and in the year after that, we strongly suspect, it has nuclear weaponry. Don’t look away from E3 2011.

The line-up

2K Play kicks of Take-Two’s financial year with the latest entry in its successful Carnival Games series – Monkey See, Monkey Do. The Kinect title is due in April.

Mid-May sees one of the most anticipated titles of the year for major consoles – L.A. Noire. The open world adventure detective sim thing from Sydney’s Team Bondi has benefited from excellent marketing for its unfamiliar blend of genres. It doesn’t hurt that a specially-developed animation technique has made it look so good it’s been included in a film festival.

From the modernity of mini games and motion capture we move on to the resurrection of a dinosaur – but an awesome one. In June, Duke Nukem Forever finally releases for 360, PS3 and PC. The legend of its decade-plus development is so well-known and celebrated that even were it rubbish, the game would sell a megaton, sexism accusations are not.

New LA Noire trailer from yesterday.

After that two-punch combo, Take Two takes five, until The Darkness II drops some time in autumn. The original was underrated, and although the franchise has skipped into a new, untried developer’s hands, the multi-console sequel is being developed with the kind of loving care of true aficionados. One to watch for for Jackie fans.

In August, Spec Ops: The Line appears for major platforms. The ninth entry in the series intends to gain back ground lost in the early 2000s, when gradually degrading quality drove the franchise into a nearly decade-long hiatus. Take-Two has kept this one locked away for polishing, so expect a fanfare when it returns.

On the sports side of things, autumn will almost certainly see new iterations, with NHL 2K12 and NBA 2K12 before the end of October. Sneaking in right at the end of the year, we can expect MLB 2K12.

Rockstar is near certain to lift the lid on the next Grand Theft Auto at E3.

Although no hard date has been set, Take Two is aiming to get the XCOM reboot out the door in this financial year, which means before March. We may see it rounding off the summer set, if it’s done in time, but it’s more likely to turn up in the glaringly empty holiday season or bumped into Q1 calendar 2012.

An explosive E3

That holiday quarter’s suspiciously empty, isn’t it? It’s not a huge call to say the company must have an unannounced release on the books. Looking at the usual turnover of major properties, and listening to the wind, it’s not hard to guess what it might be: Borderlands 2.

Sure, Gearbox has been busy propping the Duke back on his feet, but the new IP was such a runaway hit that if there’s not a second team hard at work on the sequel then 2K’s management have lost their senses. Expect the announcement at E3.

If so, this year’s show will be a blockbuster: Rockstar is near certain to lift the lid on the next Grand Theft Auto, rumoured to be set in Los Angeles, for release in 2012.

Max Payne 3 is another tightly-locked down title ready to explode, and the slow tease of info and screen this last week suggest the media blitz is about to wind up. Maybe we’ll get a second big surprise in our non-denominational holiday stockings?

Duke Nukem Forever. This game is coming out.

BioShock Infinite will also make showings everywhere it can in preparation for a 2012 release, but don’t expect this to ramp heavily until next year.

If Rockstar decides to really come out swinging, we may even hear something about the long-quiet Midnight Club series, or the totally-fallen-off-the-radar Agent. Rumour suggests Agent will be shown at E3, but, as far as we’re aware, this really is still a way out. Don’t count your chickens.

Take-Two’s FY2012 stable is nothing to be sneezed out, but what will really make the next 12 months stand out for fans is reveals for future releases.

1. Blerk

Plenty of tasty-looking stuff in that list, for sure. A shame that most of it still seems so far off, though.

2. Patrick Garratt

I think they’ll actually have quite a slow year this time. I reckon Borderlands 2 is a cert for this holiday. Next year will be “seriez buznez” for them, though.

3. TD_Monstrous69

I’m definitely keeping my eye on Rockstar, as well as TakeTwo’s other subsdaries at E3. I can’t wait for the next Grand Theft Auto game. But also, I’m curious to see if Agent pops up at E3. I’d like to see some actual gameplay for it, because its announcement trailer showed next to nothing, only that Rockstar and Sony possibly poached some of Valve’s writing staff for possible dialogue.

4. Johnny Cullen

Knowing how Rockstar has been wanting to keep on the downlow recently with Max Payne 3 and LA Noire (up until their blowouts), I’d be really surprised if they showed Agent at E3 unless it’s really coming shortly.

And judging by the Max Payne 3 blowout we’re about to have and depending it releases in the fall (if it goes the same way as LA Noire has, it might, IMO), that might actually be feasible if they were to aim for a spring 2012 release.

5. Patrick Garratt

I reckon you might get a trailer. As far as I’m aware that 2009 announcement was very early. I doubt it’ll be out until 2013, maybe alongside another Red Dead. I’m pulling that out of my ass, though.

6. Blerk

I hope you’re right about Borderlands 2. I loved the first one!

7. Patrick Garratt

I’m playing it on PC at the moment with Mike. It’s awesome. Wish I had more time for it.

8. Blerk

I miss my rapid-fire sniper shotgun.

9. Patrick Garratt

I’m still only about level 7. I’m a soldier dude. I’m just getting to grips with my turret (oo-er).

10. Blerk

The turret’s excellent later on, very handy for distracting groups of dudes while you circle around and blow the backs of their heads off.

11. Patrick Garratt

This will help, I’m sure. Mike’s a sniper. He’s got that funny bird thing. I want to play it more now.

12. Blerk

So do I. I think I might buy some of the DLC. Or start again with a different character. :-D

13. Fin

It’s rare to get Rockstar announcements at E3 though – I think they usually don’t attend, have their own event around the same time.

14. Johnny Cullen

They never have events. I don’t know when they were last at E3 in any form – other than the Agent announce – but the only time I’ve ever seen Rockstar at events was at gamescom last year at its booth. And even then, it was strictly for retail, if I remember right.

Rockstar don’t have the tendency to hold traditional events for press anyway. They just bring media in to show their games one-by-one, I believe.

15. Patrick Garratt

They announced San Andreas at E3. Apparently V’s set in LA, so I’d expect it to show up there.

16. Razor

They also announced (or MS did at least) GTA IV in 06, so an official announcement by MS or Sony isn’t out of the question. That’s probably all we’ll get though.

Still, it’s a dick swinging competition for Sony and MS as to who gets to annnounce it first….

…unless…

….Nintendo announce it first…

twist.jpg

17. Patrick Garratt

360, I reckon. Agent for Sony.

18. bluffbluff03

@17 I dont think TakeTwo would ever publish an exclusive game for Sony or Microsoft (PS3 or PC/360). They know that their games are too good to be just released on one platform. I mean, they earned so much money in the last years, they dont need any support of MS or Sony. At least, even the GTA4 AddOns, first released only on XboxLive came out for PC und PS3 a half year after. As long as TakeTwo exists I dont think anyone can reckon with a Sony/MS exclusive…and that is good. I mean, look at this line-up, there is no game i am not interested in….

19. Tomo

That really is a spectacular list of games and possible sequels. Not even spectacular in an EA franchise-sequelitis kind of way, more… hell I want to play all those games kind of way, because they all have something interesting about them other than brownness.

20. Blerk

GTA5 exclusively for iPad at E3! :-D

Man, can you imagine the internets? It would be THE APOCALYPSE!

21. Razor

@18 I tihnk Pat was just referring to who’s going to announce what.

22. AHA-Lambda

uh, when was Spec Ops: The Line confirmed for august?? O_o

PS: Please do one of these for MS and activision XD

23. ManuOtaku

Me wants all these games show on the list, T_T

24. DSB

Pat, have you heard something about Borderlands?

I’d love a sequel ASAP, but with the last one they let people in on development fairly early on and built it up that way. I don’t know if I trust them to do a blitzkrieg ad campaign after summer.

25. El_MUERkO

I like Take-Two so much I bought the company (or a very small portion of them). I figure I’ll be buying so many of their games I should make some money back :)

26. Hunam

@24 I think there was some Borderworlds related things registered a while back.