SSX: Deadly Descents now SSX: Too hard for subtitles

Thursday, 7th April 2011 06:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Put your simulation fears to rest – EA Sports latest entry in the SSX series has dropped its subtitle and revealed its lighter side.

A series of concept sketches on Game Informer show ramping off trees, peeling through canyons, and even launching off the Great Wall of China, in true over the top SSX style.

Looks like we can quit worrying about that serious business trailer, then.

Creative director Todd Batty said the trailer showed of just one of three types of gameplay the game will contain.

“Our core statement from day one has been, ‘survive it, race it, trick it.’ And in that, we have designed three major types of gameplay. One being Deadly Descent, which is all about survival gameplay. It’s a new addition to the franchise.

“… We wanted to make sure we hit the over-the-top arcadey gameplay in all of these different gameplay modes. We decided to lead with the new Deadly Descent gameplay in that trailer, but all of the classic SSX style will be there, too.”

Batty also said the tracks in SSX would remain arcadey and feature-rich, and aimed to equal “the amount of content that mega hits like Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto deliver”.

“Imagine if a slopestyle team had a billion dollars to concoct a giant SSX style track experience on top of the largest mountain in the world. That’s what we’ve done in the game, but we’ve done it all over the world,” he said.

The game’s trick system has seen an overhaul, drawing on animation tech from Fight Night and inspiration from trials HD to deliver fluid, continuous tricks rather than star-and-stop animations.

Batty wouldn’t confirm the inclusion of wing suits, but did say players could earn new equipment and tools of a wider variety than simple upgrades like faster boards.

The creative director confirmed some favourite characters would return to the series, along with new ones, each individuated by unique startting equipment and abilities. The game’s plot will see players working their way up the ranks of the Nine Deadly Descents club, conquering each mountain in a kind of boss battle.

Thanks, onlineatron.

1. onlineatron

Totes hype.

2. Gekidami

I prefered “SSX: Too awesome for subtitles”.

3. thefaulkness

Hope restored
    Seems like they have actually listened to the fans on this one :)

4. Johnny Cullen

Now this, I can absolutely get behind.

Just needs more uber tricks and Kaori. Or a David Arquette-voiced Eddie again.

5. Gekidami

So from all of the complaints the fans had, the name was the biggest? Ok then…

6. onlineatron

Hopefully the character design in the screens is placeholder, as it’s not a touch on the great, over the top designs in past games.

7. Freek

Sounding better! Perhaps they rebooted the reboot :D

8. Coheno

Hope restored indeed! And najs that they dropped that horrible subtitle! Why would you subtitle the game after a mode in the game?! Or are they adding the old style gameplay after the backlash? Nevertheless this is back on my radar!

9. OlderGamer

If they stay with the whole go anywhere and board anything stuff I am out. I basicly want another Tricky. I didn’t like Amp or any of the other snowboarding games out there. I want tracks, courses, races, personalities, ubbers, and fun. I don’t want to dodge trees, jump rocks, or crap like that.

I really think I am going to be let down with this one, and I loved the prewii/xb360 games.

10. Dralen

I really like the look of the crazy designs. That’s definitely more like SSX. I’m actually kind of looking forward to this now.

11. Brenna Hillier

@Gekidami: me too. But Pat gets a kick out of renaming all my best articles, we can’t deny him these little pleasures.