Rise of Nightmares becomes first “M” rated game for Kinect

Thursday, 7th April 2011 14:40 GMT By John Callaham

Upcoming horror game Rise of Nightmares has become the first M-rate title that supports Kinect.

The Sega-published game also got an 18-rated certificate by the BBFC.

The US-based ESRB rating of “M” also came with a content description that includes some of the game’s more horrifing scenes. For example: “A man screams loudly as spikes impale his body; a restrained character’s hand is chopped off before he is killed.”

The game itself is a first-person title where a tourist from the US has to rescue his wife from a particularly mad scientist. You should be able to move to the horror beat with this Kinect game later this summer.

1. Zurtech

You mean Kinect actually has games?

2. RockTwist

I thought all Kinect games were rated “M”… for Mediocre.

3. Gheritt White

Kinect – putting the ‘gay’ into ‘games’

4. Erthazus

@,1,2,3

:D Brilliant! But RockTwist takes the cake.

5. Zurtech

@Erth

Awww, can I have a cake too if I flutter my eyelashes?

6. ManuOtaku

i dont understand the kinect hate here, i love dance central, kinect sports, and kinect adventures, i think they are few games and that can be argued , but now we are starting to see more mature games on it, and the premise looks really good, like the marionette gunslinger game, and this one, really i dont understand.

7. Blerk

Have we actually seen any footage of this yet?

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

“You should be able to move to the horror beat with this Kinect game…”

Can Kinect do anything that isn’t dance or beat related? It’d be really nice to see something different soon…

9. Jan

#6 PS3 Fanboys ;)

10. RockTwist

@9 Nah I just think Kinect is mediocre. I also think Move is mediocre. I just like games how i’ve always played them, with a pad and/or keyboard and mouse. If I want waggle i’ll just go to the toilet for 5 minutes.

11. ManuOtaku

#10 but because you do not like it you can said is mediocre, because you like old school controllers, which is fine and understandable thats your likings, but with this you have a predisposition to think that other types of interactions are mediocre, which is innacurate, you said is mediocre because you dont like it, not because it doenst work properly or the games dont work with that input..

12. KL

@9 and 360 ones. :)Now get along

@11 It’s mediocre for his tastes,he said that for both peripherials,respect that and leave it be.
    You jumped to defend one.sorry but doesn’t everyone have to jump on the Microsoft bandwagon and declare Sony the evil corporation like you do in the past few days.your status here is already set.no damage control

13. typeface

I second Blerk’s statement – how come there’s no footage?

I mean if it’s been rated, it can come out this year technically and there exists a product. If it’s not trailered means it probably doesn’t look that impressive or an E3 reveal. But still doesn’t bode well.

Besides this probably could easily end up being below mediocre.

14. RockTwist

@11 Nah, I like Light Guns, touch control (some) and I like the Wii (somewhat anyway, despite being waggle). I just don’t think Kinect (thus far) has proved itself, nor has Move.

And i’ve always been a multiplatform gamer, doesn’t mean i’ll declare everything on those platforms a success.

15. ManuOtaku

#12 i never said sony was an evil corporation, never, i said what they did with the other s issue it was wrong,two very different things, but i did not put in the reasons for this, things like, because i like nintendo and microsoft better thats why i said what sony did was wrong, i never said that i put what i believe are some facts of the case, that till my last post is based on the agreements that came with the purchase of the product, and till where this agreements should be taken, thats very different, i did ask why the hate, he responded it, and i did respond again what i believe is wrong to call something mediocre just because you dont like it, theres nothing wrong with that, and more so because i direct to him in a respectful way, the same as he did.
    P.D Now he did put this comment “I just don’t think Kinect (thus far) has proved itself, nor has Move. My preference will always be pad/mouse keyboard, that doesn’t mean I won’t *Ever* like anything else or try it. Hence the mediocre comment, once Kinect/Move prove themselves to me i’ll be the first to admit they have.And i’ve always been a multiplatform gamer, doesn’t mean i’ll declare everything on those platforms a success”, and i cool with his reasoning, it was better than they are mediocre because i like d-pad, IMHO

By the way did you see me on all my previous comments talking bad things about sony and his first pary games, besides the other s issue, theres none, therefore why is my status been set, because of only an opinion on a particular case, if you find any please bring it to the table

16. Zurtech

Nah hardly a Fangirl of any system, I just like games. Motion control in general still has to prove itself. Not got a kinect cos the price is too high for a peripheral and there’s not exactly any games worth playing that price for. Move, likewise not much worth gettin it for but picked one up cheap in Sainsbury’s when it was on offer, but only game I’ve got that uses it is LBP2 and I just use pad on that. Wii never found any of the games really used motion control well either tbh, like all Nintendo’s consoles I but them for Nintendo’s games. I prefer standard pads and keyboard/mouse combo, and depending on the game I think touchscreen controls have proved themselves, it’s just motion control has yet to prove itself to me by making some games that aren’t just party games, and I think Wii and Move have done that best so far, but nothing major shouts out to me as amazing.

17. Ge0force

Still no in-game footage… I’m afraid this is gonna be another casual Kinect game where gameplay is almost fully automated, but this time with an M-rating. I’m curious how many core gamers still use Kinect after showing it to all their friends and family.

18. The_Red

This might ALSO the first actual “video game” for Kinect instead crappy motion games.

19. nomadic77

go to ign.com and type Kinect 2011 in the search box….it has a list of games including a trailer for Rise of Nightmares and other games announced to be released this year. To all the haters of the Kinect…give it until next year before you say anything. Wait for Kinect Star Wars to come out this Christmas and look at the fact that hardly any of the 10 million units sold have been returned.