The Sun: 3DS seeing “record return levels”

Tuesday, 5th April 2011 11:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

A report in today’s Sun claims that 3DS has seen a “record” level of returns since its UK launch nearly two weeks ago.

In a report by the paper (via MCV), headlined, “Refund row hits Nintendo,” it claims that a “record return levels were reported” due to “thousands” suffering from headaches and dizziness related to the machine’s 3D capabilities.

The paper claimed that retailer HMV is offering full refunds on 3DS handhelds bought since launch, but only up until Thursday. One consumer reported he got a £170+ refund from GAME, whilst a forum user is quoted is saying:

“When I returned mine to my local GAME in Bexleyheath I had an argument at first but I am someone who knows how to argue and stuck with my guns. Once the guy agreed we chatted and he told me hay had had a high return of the 3DS, more than any launch product.”

Nintendo has disputed the claims, though.

“Recent reports are incorrect,” the company told Eurogamer in a statement.

“The number of calls and emails with queries on Nintendo 3DS is in fact well below the rate experienced during past hardware launches and having spoken with our retail partners there are only a handful of people who have actually gone into stores to request a refund.”

The firm added: “Nintendo 3DS was designed with a 3D depth slider that lets users adjust the 3D effect so that everyone can still enjoy this product. When viewing any kind of 3D images, including movies and on TV, some people might experience minor discomfort.

“The effects are short term and have no lasting effect; most people can continue after taking a break.”

GAME has said it’s seen “less than five people complain that they feel sick” and traded in their 3DS, while HMV has said it isn’t “refunding fully” on 3DS purchases.

3DS sold 113,000 units in the UK and 303,000 units in Europe in its first week.

1. thefaulkness

BULLSHIT

2. FabioPal

Well, I must admit that I used it for just 10 minutes and, after that, my eyes were… funny!

3. Badger

Because it’s The Sun, it’s going to make me feel dirty saying this, but;

I can quite easily believe this. I haven’t tried a 3DS yet, but if it’s anything like 3D at the cinema I imagine it would be incredibly uncomfortable after a period of time.

I think the only way I’m going to enjoy 3D is if the screen itself had layers of pixels that actually created depth within the screen. Don’t know why that hasn’t been tried yet.

4. thefaulkness

Its not that uncomfortable and if you dont like it you can turn it off!!! You dont need it all the flipping time. Afterwards I felt the same as I would going to see a 3D movie.

5. RockTwist

GAME, HMV and Nintendo have all called The Sun’s story bullshit.

6. DGOJG

*Headesk* Its the SUN newspaper people! Its the tabloid of tabliods. The shittiest excuse for news in the UK. Its bullshit.

7. DrDamn

Wouldn’t be surprised if the primary source of info for the story was that forum post.

8. The_Red

Bullshit center known as Sun on the gimmicky new handheld with horrible launch line-up… what to believe?!
    @5 Thanks for the link.

9. thefaulkness

@5 I call shenanigans

10. Zurtech

Sounds like a Tabloid tryin to give negative press or whip up some moral panic with something related to the games industry again to me.
    Personally I’ve not had a problem with the 3D on 3DS, just moved the slider to about halfway and it’s very comfy. If I’m completely honest here, I didn’t think I’d use the 3D aspect of 3DS at all… ever. But I must say it feel very nice play, I think Nintendo made the right choice by makin the 3D go into the screen and not out.

11. naffgeek

well its the Sun so I would normally instantly assume bullshit but I played the 3ds for about 20mins at one of the demo events and felt sick for the rest of the day.

I have never got sick playing FPS’s like some people do so I was pretty suprised.

I would think that it affects some people like this (obviously not all).

Also it was only when I completed a lap of Ridge Racer that it came on, so maybe its only certain games that do it.

12. Amored

I understand that some people have “problems” with the 3D, but I seriously think they are over-reacting a little bit. The first time I tried the 3DS it was… strange. But now I enjoy the 3D effects. I don’t use the 3D effects very often, because I want the battery to last longer.

13. UuBuU

I very much doubt the Sun has sufficient data to back this story up, but it’s still believeable.

Between people complaining about discomfort, the idiots who didn’t do their research beforehand and expected a flawless and magical 3D experience, and those who are unimpressed with the reasonably shite lineup so far, I bet there’s quite a few returns.

14. Blerk

I mentioned just the other day that I know two people who have returned theirs, I don’t recall that ever happening before. That said, I still know a lot more people who haven’t.

15. nikk900

Don’t want to agree with the sun but at the gamestation where I work we have had some returned and we’ve even had some traded from people who got them online and can’t return them. It’s not just the headache reason though people just seemed to have expected more from it.

16. nikk900

Just to add, we had this one women who had a spoilt brat of a kid who returned it and then got a DSi (which she had traded in three weeks ago) because the kid didn’t like the 3d games.

17. RockTwist

While I don’t doubt some people have returned their 3DS, or that people have friends who have or even that some stores have seen 3DS machines being traded in already – the issue I have with The Sun’s report is the “Thousands” comment. That just smacks of sensationalization in the usual Sun bullshit manner.

18. Blerk

@16, more likely they discovered that their R4 wouldn’t work. :-)

19. Deacon

I knew they’ve had loads go back in Japan and I’ve been waiting for this to happen!!!

MADE MY DAY : )

20. mojo

u speak of volumetric displays.
    they are not quite there with those techniques. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_display

Holo Deck is what we need!

18: afaik r4 works on 3ds, but only with ds games.

21. StolenGlory

Indeed.

The pikey bastards.

22. kupocake

The 3DS battery doesn’t even last long enough for the display to cause sickness.

AMIRITE?

23. SOMI

I’ve played my 3DS quite a bit and no headaches, or no bad headaches anyway, nor was I feeling sick, the Sun are a bunch of loony spastic cunts. They are a bunch of pussies including haters who want to die so they can blame nintendo.

24. Dralen

Whether it’s true or not, it is believable. Let’s see how this turns out…

25. AHA-Lambda

in all fairness i have tried the 3ds only once and it was for about 5 mins and i did feel quite abit of eyestrain for a good 5 mins after putting it down =/

26. LacrosseD

Toughen up folks! I play it with the slider maxed out and I have had no issued. I figured the UK was a bit tougher – sounds like the whiners here in the US … matter of time until people start suing for and easy buck (or pound!)

27. ManuOtaku

Guys i will tell you a secret, but do not spread it because it can make some people be…ummm how i putted nicely…. offended, the 3DS has an slide button that can turn off the 3D effect, problem solve

28. OrbitMonkey

@27 Fantastic solution! Buy it, just don’t use it >_>
    Oh & if it makes you sick, fuck you! You must like it, its Nintendo!

29. ManuOtaku

#28 well is the same with the Other S, buy it dont use it
    P.D sorry is not the same i correct myself, buy it we dont let you use it

30. OrbitMonkey

@29 My your double standards are delicious! You got a great big hard on for people who are quite rightly miffed at Sonys removal of other OS, but people who don’t like the much hyped 3D effect of the 3ds can go fuck themselves?

31. ManuOtaku

#30 the same as yours so…. one fights for ninty and the other for sony, hey we only need and xbox and we are full dont you agree

32. OrbitMonkey

Please don’t be assuming I’m a Sony zealout dear boy :-)

33. ManuOtaku

#33 well then i will wait for the sony and xbox ones.. then to bad T_T, but you are the one who shot the first shot, so…

Now to tell you the truth i think this is different from the other S issue, are two very different cases, if nintendo took away the option to turn off the 3D without any compensation, then i will be the first one to complain for consumers rights iam one of them.

34. Wesker

If it IS true then people are idiots. :D
    Use the 3D slider with caution, a little bit is enough. Just push it all the way, if you have orang-utan arms.

I like my 3DS and didn’t experience any problems yet. But I guess it’s because … oh yeah … I read the damn instructions and only play for a short time in 3D mode. -.-