Max Payne 3 features in new EDGE – multiplay confirmed

Monday, 4th April 2011 07:00 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EDGE has featured Max Payne 3 on its latest issue following the game’s first new screens in two years last week, confirming all new info as well as online multiplayer.

Max Payne 3

Announced back in 2009 for PS3, 360 and PC.

Will feature Max in Sao Paolo, Brazil.

Series has been a single-player experience up until now.

Remedy Entertainment made the first two games. It sold the IP to Take Two in 2004, and has since worked on Alan Wake.

The magazine shows Payne with hair, in contrast to the character first shown two years ago as shaven, chubby and dirty.

Now, though, the baldness is gone, but he seems to be having a mental meltdown, as shown on the mag’s cover.

Don’t expect Max to wear his mane throughout the entire game, though. The magazine says we’re going to see points where Payne “has a full head of hair” – there are screens which still show him as bald – and that he “isn’t the booze-soaked hulk we’d been led to expect.”

Payne has dissolved from hard boiled New Yorker to a struggling alcoholic since the end of MP2. Sao Paolo, Brazil is the setting.

Collaborative effort

MP3 is now a collaborative effort between four of Rockstar’s studios: Vancouver is still developing as before, but New England, Toronto and London are now all involved.

It has been mentioned before that development has been a joint effort, but specifically who was involved was unknown until now.

“We have a lot of talented people across all our studios,” said MP3′s art director, Rob Nelson, “and this just means we can bring the right people in for a specific task when needed – and it gives the games a consistant level of quality and an approach that’s Rockstar.”

Environments are fully destructible; we’re going to see a wheel-based weapon selection window; and a new cover system will use scenic objects. Bullet-time will be charged up by killing enemies.

The comic-like panels from the first two games will return, but, according to EDGE: “These dramatic plot pointers use the in-game engine and show an animated collage of action footage.”

Hundreds of hours of mo-cap footage have also been recorded, which has been mashed with the Euphoria engine to make characters which will interact with the environments realistically and accurately, apparently.

James McCafferty, Max Payne’s voice actor in the first two games, will also return in a fuller role. Rockstar previously said it would bring in a new actor to play Max in the third title.

There’s also new screens in the mag. We’re not linking due to legal reasons, though.

Rockstar announced Max Payne 3 for a 2009 ship back in May of that year for PS3, 360 and PC. It’s since been delayed numerous times and went underground until last week’s new screens. No release date is mentioned in the mag.

1. osric90

Wouldn’t it be cool to have Max Payne 1 and 2 in HD (1080p) in a single bluray disc? I hope this release encourages the developers to do that… IN A BLURAY, not only digital download like the new Resident Evil compilation. I hope Japan makes a bluray and includes english/spanish subs for that.

2. Soong

Maybe you should e-mail Japan and ask them to make it in a Blu-ray and include subs :D

3. onlineatron

These collaborative studio efforts seem to be all the rage at the moment. I suppose it real speaks to the ballooning cost of videogame development.

As for Max Payne 3? I remain skeptical. Can a series built on what is now an overused mechanic (bullet time) really have anything new to say?

Here’s hoping.

4. onlineatron

Trust me, you don’t want to put anything IN a Blu-ray.

Several doctors and a psychiatrist later, me and Mr. Sprinkle STILL aren’t the same.

5. mojo

“Probably the biggest revelation from the piece is that the game will feature online multiplayer, although it isn’t mentioned how it’ll work.”

couldnt care any less. at all.

6. Stardog

“cover system”

Fuck off.

7. xino

nice…. hoping for CO-op!

8. Blerk

One day I’m going to have to play the originals. One day.

9. Gigabomber

Already pretty confident this won’t measure up, but the Deus Ex refresh just might…

10. Johnny Cullen

With Blerk. I still need to play the old Remedy titles. I will get to that at some point.

11. Patrick Garratt

I doubt very much this will be anything less than amazing. Given Rockstar’s form so far this gen, I don’t think they’ll allow themselves a dud. Which, I assume, is one of the reason’s it’s been so heavily delayed.

12. Blerk

I suspect this will be one of those titles that people will find things to complain about even if it does turn out to be brilliant.

13. Patrick Garratt

True dat.

14. mojo

chaps, u NEED to play MP1 & 2 ASAP!! ASAP!
    Drop everything ur playing atm, and play max payne.
    few games come close when it comes to atmosphere.

12/complainage: i just want Max to be how we’ve come to expect him from the last two games. like, exactly not how he looked in the first comncepts for mp3.
    but those latest news dont grow my fear of him getting to cheesy.
    so i agree with pat, this coudl tunr out huge.
    + rockstar, to me, seems to be a studio that does justice to classics and dont just use them to put a known name to a game.

15. Blerk

My PC wasn’t good enough to play them back in the day. I might pick them up the next time they’re on sale on Steam.

16. Lahanas

Johnny can you provide a link with the full art image you use as a header?

17. Moonwalker1982

Brand new scans, also showing the Max Payne as we all know him, that last scan looks awesome.

18. Blerk

How about this link, Lahanas?

19. Dralen

Well it’s good to know that he resembles the old Max to start with.

20. Lahanas

Thanks very much!

21. absolutezero

Theres a mixture of images in that article that include both the rubbish fat bald Max and a proper update aswell. Whats going on?

Looks like im one of a dwindling number of people that played the original and follow up as soon as they came out and loved them to pieces.

They don’t make games for me anymore, I have a feeling that the controls will be no where near as tight as the Remedy games because every single last Rockstar game that Ive played has horrible floaty, leany, cover bollocks.

Ah well.

22. M. K.

^

That’s why real Max Payne fans don’t have faith in this game at all :(

23. DSB

The problem with handing it off to a developer who doesn’t have the same intimate relationship with the ip, is that they’re going to have to piss all over it to mark it as their very own, and for fans that’s rarely a very good thing.

The old Max Paynes are some of the most simple and enjoyable games I’ve ever played. The gameplay is seriously basic, but fun, with lots of scripting to amuse you along the way. That’s a huge triumph in my opinion, even if Max Payne 2 was a little too short for my taste.

24. YoungZer0

@22: Oh shut up, you cock. Comments like this really piss me the fuck off.

“REAL Max Payne Fans”? Fuck you. I’m a real Max Payne fan and i love everything i’ve read so far.

It looks like Rockstar is really putting a lot of effort into this game. Just look at the link from #17. There seems to be shit load of story to tell. Looks like the start off with the Max Payne from MP2 and really develop the character over time. Something greatly missed in videogames. I mean they made the excessive use of Painkillers from the previous game part of the story in this one. How awesome is that?

I’m fucking thrilled for this.

25. Moonwalker1982

The last scan shows Max as we know him, i bet that’s a part in the beginning of the game.

26. M. K.

@24: Grow up please, no one was talking to you I was just saying that #21 is absolutely right, and even you should recognize it… And now please go to some other topic and use such language with erth and the others…

27. YoungZer0

@26: Nope. I don’t and if you were a real Max Payne fan, you’d understand.

28. OrbitMonkey

If the shooting mechanic is the same as red dead I’ll be happy. Though I’m not keen on the open map freeplay style of mp map. I’d prefer a varied series of tight maps, but we’ll have to wait & see.

29. M. K.

There’s nothing to understand. Max Payne with cover system? lol! Now they only have to add shitty controlls, dumb story and some russians to kill* and there you go…

*well okay, I loved Vlad in Max Payne 2 :D

30. Erthazus

@M.K., and what if cover system?

In the past you did the same, now just only with animation in this gen.

In the past you just stand in front of the wall like an idiot.

31. YoungZer0

M.K. So just because it has a coversystem it fails? Grow up, seriously.

@30: Maybe he just likes standing in front of walls.

32. M. K.

lol please stop commenting on my posts, if you don’t even get the idea behind it k? thx.

33. YoungZer0

@32: I doubt you have any idea what you’re talking about. k. thx.

34. M. K.

What the hell is your problem? Only because I think that absolutezero is right you think you have to post shit like that? Go play your gta “Max Payne Fan”…

35. YoungZer0

@34: No because you “Fans” always, and i mean always complain about anything new, no matter if it makes sense or not. Hey, here is a idea, if you don’t want your Max Payne to evolve or change at all: Go play the previous titles. Or better, if you want some changes go play Stranglehold.

I’m just one of those guys who actually thinks that Story and Dialog were the most important Parts about the Max Payne Series. But i guess that doesn’t qualify me as a fan, right? Wake up, a game needs to be updated in order to be interesting. Or do you prefer games like Call of Duty?

36. M. K.

You’re kidding me right? Now I got it :D

37. YoungZer0

Took you long enough.

38. DSB

Someone needs a hug.

Just because you welcome a rewrite, it doesn’t mean that we have to YoungZer0. It’s perfectly legitimate for people who loved something in the past, to not want to see it redefined.

Ain’t broke, don’t fix is a legitimate argument. Don’t stop, push forward, ditto. I don’t see a reason to throw a fit about someone seeing it differently.

39. YoungZer0

@38: Don’t just stand there, fucking hug me already.

40. DSB

Holy shit :P

41. absolutezero

I can’t remember standing behind walls in either of the Max Payne games, I can however remember diving over things and through doors in slow mo and shooting people in the head. The speed and fluidity of that just does not tie in with a cover system.

The only way I can see it working is if its a fast and intuitive as Vanquish, and without a power slidey suit I doubt thats going to happen. Army of Two spring to mind instead.

Sure I would love to head what happened to Max after two, how far he fell etc but most of the screens seem to have completely disposed of the pitch-perfect noir fell that the others had, the atmosphere is gone and been replaced by the same artwork as every other Rockstar title. Which is where the concerns come from, if the artwork and style is the same what else is?

If this game is good then great we have another great Max Payne game, if its not then fuck it why bother bringing it back in the first place?

42. YoungZer0

@41: Have you ever played WANTED? That game combined both Bullet-Time and Cover System and i’ bear to say that it was very smooth and fast. I also think that it’s waaaaay to early to say a that the atmosphere is gone.

43. Claymore

As far as I remember the city where I study is called São Paulo, in Portuguese. Not Sao Paolo, in… whatever language it’s written =P