Alan Wake 2 “looks promising,” Remedy job posting looks for “drama and storytelling” for new game

Monday, 4th April 2011 08:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Remedy’s posted a new job listing, looking for a senior level designer who can deliver “compelling narrative and intense action” for its new game

The listing, posted by Gama, says that the job requires that the game matches its “storyline and vision.”

This sounds like Alan Wake 2. OXM seems to agree. Its latest issue (via GAF) says in its rumour section that a sequel to last year’s thriller was that it “looks promising.”

The ambition to develop a Wake sequel hasn’t been kept too much of a secret, mind. Remedy has mentioned in the past its desire to make Wake 2, but it would be 360-exclusive or be on PC and 360.

Alan Wake released last May for Xbox 360. Two DLC episodes, The Signal and The Writer, act as a bridge between what Remedy called Season One and Season Two during Wake 1′s promotion.

1. dvcy21

This is good news. I really like Alan Wake and I think a sequel would be welcomed especially if they fix the flaws the first one had and add some variety to it.

2. xino

i’m sure this will use kinect support

3. Blerk

Well, if they do make another one they can count me in. So that’s one sale already! Whoo! :-D

4. Malmer

Alan Wake was one of the best games this generation imo, so this surely is good news.

5. Gigabomber

Just got a 360 to go along with my PS3 and this game really made it worth it. Underrated, no doubt.

6. loki

AW2 it is cool, and we don’t want PC port and another fail like Fable 3

7. Bond James Bond

The first game was mediocre shite. All hype and nothing more than that. It’s funny to see wee 360 fanboys get there knickers in a twist over this.

8. Blerk

Nonsense. It wasn’t quite what I hoped it would be, but it was far from a poor game.

9. onlineatron

I wasn’t a fan of Alan Wake, but I’m up for a sequel.

The original had some great ideas that needed to be more fleshed out so’s not to feel repetitive.

10. Blerk

Exactly that, onlineatron. Plenty of promise, but it never really lived up to what it could have been. Brilliant atmosphere though, and some great set-pieces. And I really liked Alan’s commentary, the presentation was top-notch.

I’d have liked to feel a little less ‘corridor-constrained’, some actual exploring would’ve been nice. Perhaps for the sequel they could move more towards that original ‘open world’ plan. It doesn’t have to be completely open, just not entirely closed.

11. onlineatron

Yes, the funnelled direction of it aggravated me, especially when you could see remnants of when the game was more open world (with the cars, and flask collecting).

More variety in the combat would have been nice too. Only so many times I can shine a light on, and blast, vague looking shadows.

12. Mike

Still haven’t played the first one.

13. _LarZen_

Is it perfect? No…what game is realy? But the good parts outweight the bad parts by a long shoot in this game…just love it!

Hope Alan Wake 2 is coming, and I hope this time they somehow can make it multiplatform…

Hughs Remedy :)

14. Dralen

If it’s multi-platform, and we get a PC release, I would seriously hump the leg of Remedy.

15. ManuOtaku

I love the first one, it was a great game IMO, i only hope it will last a little bit longer, it scared the hell out of me, nice job remedy, you got your first copy sold of Alan Wake two.

16. Phoenixblight

“Just LOVE Alan Wake….in a time where people seam to think running around in braindead fps games is the best there is I am SO glad Remedy is one of the companies that makes games like this.”

Yeah because chests with infinite ammo screams not a brain dead shooter. Thats how you know there was going to be a boss battle.

This game was huge fat disappointment following the story of a Goosebumps TV show and copying 3rd person shooters. The only thing it had going for it was the ad placement, this game took the cake in that department. I thought Prototype was bad, yeah this game had Duracell batteries.

17. Gekidami

^ lol The product placement really hit me too. I guess its not out of place in a game set in our time to have ads, but they really did go over the top with the Verizon stuff, going so far as to stick a full video ad in there. As if all of the posters (which are everywhere) and the characters using Verizon phones wasnt enought.

18. Ge0force

I think Alan Wake had a great story and atmosphere, but the gameplay was rather disappointing.

19. YoungZer0

God. Do we really need a sequel to a mediocre game as this?

20. frostquake

I bought the Hype of the First Game, got the limited Edition and everything, and It started off with a huge BANG and then fell apart with, repetition. Run and Gun basically, well Run and Flashlight. ;)

What was scary up front, turned into nothing more then each level getting more and more bad guys you had to shoot with the light! Nothing really anymore then that…and there I was looking forward to meeting some Old Norse Gods to fight against.

They had so much potential, and for a game in as long as development as this one was, remember it was an Xbox 1 title, this one should have started a New IP that Generated Buzz instead of the Fizzle.

Sorry, I really wanted to like this game, alot, with all the Stephen King they tried to reference, but this was a Great Big Can Of Coke that got flat really, really quick.

I wont be buying the second one, day one, not unless I see a Huge change in the direction, and not them just throwing in the Light Gimmick all the way through the game!

21. YoungZer0

@20: Tried to reference? They couldn’t have put more references into it even if they TRIED. :P

22. osric90

Hope this second game delivers what the first one promised and never did.

23. ManuOtaku

#19 if killzone had the chance to become a better game, and now a good franchise, why not this one or for that matter any other game

24. absolutezero

Loved the first Alan Wake, felt like it was actually a game aimed towards my actual age for once, not a kids game dressed up in adult trappings.

The acting was solid and towards the end it actually started to have fun with its premise and ideas. I think alot of people got put off by that, they were expecting something totally po-faced and serious and what they got was The Old Gods of Asgard instead.

25. blackdreamhunk

I am willing to bet it’s going to make 1/2 the sales numbers of the frist Alan wake.