Nintendo: 3DS UK launch sales beat both Wii and DS

Friday, 1st April 2011 14:30 GMT By Staff

Nintendo has confirmed that 3DS sold 303,000 units across Europe and 113,000 units in its opening weekend on sale in the UK, beating the British launches of both Wii and DS.

The figures are not attributed to Chart-Track, but to a “Nintendo UK internal Sell-thru Panel”.

3DS’s predecessor, Nintendo DS, sold around 87,000 units in its first weekend in the UK in 2005.

Sony’s PSP set a UK record for opening sales in 2005 with 185,000 units shifted at launch, a figure that’s never been bested.

PlayStation 3 moved 165,000 units in Britain in its first weekend on sale in 2007, beating both Wii and 360 out of the gate.

Wii sold 105,000 units in its opening 48 hours in the UK in 2006. Xbox 360 debuted in Britain with 70,000 units sold in 2005.

Nintendo UK marketing manager James Honeywell said last week that the company expected to sell “comfortably over 150,000, if not more like 200,000″ 3DS units in Britain last week, based on confirmed pre-orders of 140,000.

Nintendo UK promised pre-launch that no-one would go wanting for a 3DS unit last week.

Nintendo of America has already confirmed that 3DS’s US launch beat that of DS, but has so far failed to announce a specific figure.

3DS launched in Europe last Friday, and in the US on Sunday.

1. frostquake

I will tell you, that there is NO shortage of 3DS anywhere. Every Store I go into from Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy to GameStop, they have TONS of them.

In Fact they have HUGE Floor Displays with Tons of 3DS on them.

The Only Bad thing is some GameStops are trying to sell them in Bundles with games instead of by themselves, so People are just going to Wal-Mart.

2. Lounds

didn’t psp sellout in its first week?

3. Blerk

I know at least two people who’ve traded theirs already! :-D

4. DrDamn

Game employees? ;)

5. frostquake

I would have been tempted if there was a really good game out, heck if Resident Evil Mercs would have been out, then I probably would have traded in my Wife’s DSi, and used up all my Christmas GameStop Gift Cards!

6. Len

Lol…@4

Got mine last wkend and it really is a fanatsic little machine, I’m totally addicted to it at the moment. Very pleasing… :)

7. RockTwist

Enjoying mine immensely, far exceeded my expectations. First handheld i’ve really enjoyed since the GBA.

8. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added a line there. These figures are internal Nintendo figures. They’re not from GfK-CT.

9. Ireland Michael

I like the tech of the 3DS, but as with every generation, I’m going to wait until there’s a more regular feed of quality titles before I pick one up.

10. Bluscope

One more week and the 3DS will be mine! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA…. *ahem* sorry about that.

11. Erthazus

I will buy it only when:

1) Price cut
    2) 5 must have titles
    3) New revision (lite, DSi or whatever)

but for now, there is no point to buy this little fucking thing. There are no games (or there are, but shit ones that you can buy at the app store for 1$-5$), the price for the shitty spec machine is outrageous (i can buy 1 or 2 if i want or trade my old DSi).

12. Christopher Jack

Don’t see myself getting a 3DS ever, I’ve never cared for 3D, I see it fine & I’m fairly immune to headaches, but I still just couldn’t give a crap about it because it’s simply a gimmick.
    The majority of the games coming to it will be of Android/iOS quality but much more expensive, I’ll be better off with the NGP, if I’m going to game on the go, I may as well do it in style with fancy graphics & home quality games but I’m also likely to get the Xperia Play because I’m in need of a new phone & it checks every box I want in a phone. I can see the Xperia Play being an emulator aficionado’s wetdream come true.