Howard: Bethesda’s heart is with single-player

Friday, 1st April 2011 00:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim director Todd Howard has said multiplayer is something Bethesda regularly considers, and always shelves.

“We always look into multiplayer, put lots of ideas on the whiteboard, and it always loses,” the director told IGN.

“It’s not that we don’t like it. I can think of ways it would be a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, that dev time is going to take away from doing the best single player game we can, and that’s where our hearts are.”

However:

“The two most requested features we get are dragons and multiplayer. We got one of them this time!” he pointed out.

Although Howard didn’t seem ready to give out new information about the game, he did make a couple of jokes which can probably be taken as “no”s.

Asked about unicorns, he replied “That’s DLC. For a hundred dollars,” and again about levitation, “Another DLC. Three hundred dollars.”

There’s a couple of new-ish images on IGN, too.

Skyrim is due on PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 on September 11. It’s the fifth in the notoriously massive open-world RPG series, The Elder Scrolls.

1. UuBuU

Multiplayer wouldn’t work, i’d rather they spent all their time on single-player. Kids will always whine for it, but luckily Bethesda know better than to listen to that.

If they did ever decide to go multiplayer in Elder Scrolls i’d like it to be a separate spin-off from the main series.

This game sounds amazing though. I’m so glad they’re keeping Elder Scrolls completely mod-friendly, as the community adds so much to their games.

2. dtyk

love the DLC jokes, these guys are awesome

3. YoungZer0

Thank god. No Multiplayer in my RPG’s please.

4. Blerk

Always nice to see another bunch of people who don’t just follow the marketing checklist.

5. viralshag

I agree with them.

I don’t buy into this whole “MP extends game life.” I mean, it does for things like BLOPS, CoD and BF; but that’s because they practically have no single player at all.

Take Mass Effect and Oblivion for instance, no MP and I’m happy to replay those games all the time for the sheer amount of content. If Uncharted and RDR had no MP at all, they would have still been great games to me. Sometimes it really is just a waste of dev time and money.

6. Rosseu

I agree with you all, As much as I had tons of fun playing Oblivion alone, I don’t really think mp would fit the game. And yes if they would go with mp, just make it as a separate game so it wouldn’t feel it’s dumbed down because sp is already huge. So excited for this game and hope it delivers (and keep the slowdown issues at minimum pls)

7. Erthazus

Multiplayer like in demon’s souls can fit actually.

8. Christopher Jack

Simple co op can help most games out, even if it isn’t exactly relevant. Just don’t force 2 or more people to use the same screen in a local game! only split screen will do.

9. viralshag

@ Erth, That’s true that it did work for DS but I think that type of MP was built in as an almost core part of the game.

I just think in terms of interaction with the world, story and content, Skyrim compared to DS doesn’t need a feature like that. I do think there is room for MP in RPGs if done right but nothing I have seen so far sways me to it being a must have in the future.

10. UuBuU

Demon’s Souls had some great multiplayer concepts, some of which could potentially work in Elder Scrolls… others, not so much.

The main thing I don’t want to see in Elder Scrolls though is the kind of free-roam multiplayer found in games like RDR and GTAIV. It just doesn’t work in my opinion. Most of the world remains empty except for a small region where a load of retards just run around like headless chickens killing each other endlessly to rank up or whatever. That kind of online gameplay makes even MW2 seem incredibly sophisticated.

I’m also not convinced 2 player co-op would work well either. Co-op works better in games with a heavy emphasis on the main storyline and which direct you down certain paths, not games like Elder Scrolls where you can play for days or even weeks on end without even touching the storyline.

11. Amored

“Skyrim is due on PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 on September 11.”
    Isn’t it 11.11.11?

12. blackdreamhunk

dear Bethesda there is nothing wrong in making single player games only