RIFT – Friends can play for free this weekend

Thursday, 31st March 2011 17:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

RIFT players are being handed codes to give to friends who have yet to try the MMO, and pals who recieve this code will be able to play the game for free this weekend during the Allies of the Ascended special event.

Ally Codes only grant access from April 1 through April 4, after which, in order to continue to play the game you much purchase it along with a monthly subscription fee.

To apply an Ally Code, should you receive one, you must follow these instructions:

• Log in to your Trion Worlds account, or create a new account if you do not already have one.
  • If you are not automatically redirected, click the “Apply Code” menu item.
  • Enter the Ally Code you received from your Ascended ally.
  • Download the RIFT patcher by clicking the “Download Client” button in the “Manage Account” section of your Trion Worlds account, or click here.
  • Install the RIFT patcher, update the game, and you’re ready to play!
  • Event schedule: 10am PDT April 1, 2011 through 10am PDT April 4, 2011.

Ally Codes will grant new players a digital download of RIFT and access to certain features of this game during the Allies of the Ascended Event. You will need to have or create a Trion Worlds account to participate in this event.

RIFT requires a recurring monthly subscription fee and an internet connection in order to play. To continue playing RIFT upon conclusion of the Allies of the Ascended Event, the player must purchase the game as well as purchase a subscription fee or sub cards.

Those who have yet to try the game out should hit up someone they know for a code.

Thanks, Nemmy.

1. Xuchilbara

AWESOME! I was really waiting for the 10 day trials before a purchase but this should push me and probably many others over the edge!

AND, I now have plans this weekend! Aside from that stupid Tulip market and wine tasting my gf wants to go to :-\

2. Stephany Nunneley

Just buy her a bouquet of tulips, and couple bottles of wine and be done with it so you can play :D

3. OlderGamer

Steph, I know your a mmorpg player, I play Rift. Would you like me to set you up with a code?

4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Hey OG! Thanks for that, but my kin member from another game, who is credited in the post sent me one already. To be honest, I am going out of town on Monday and I don’t know if I will have time to play it this weekend in preparation for the trip. That’s the way my luck always goes :p

5. OlderGamer

Well I hope you get the chance to play it, Rift is a fantastic game. IMO of course ;)

6. Xuchilbara

@ Steph – Thanks for the tip! BUT, I already suggested something similar. However, it seems that BOTH you’re idea and my idea doesn’t lead to “spending the day together” :(

I will be at the Tulip and Wine tasting event in Seattle Saturday unfortunately… BUT, when night rolls around, I am grabbing beer, and getting in on the world of RIFT!

7. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Well, at least if you do that you might get lucky ;)

8. Hybridpsycho

Tried it allready, it’s a solid game but nothing special. Feels like a mix of WAR (Age of reckoning) and Aion.
    I’ll stick with WoW (awesome lore) until Blade & Soul or Guild Wars 2 :)

9. viralshag

I agree with Hybridpsycho that it is a solid game but I do think it is something special. The dynamic battles are a lot of fun and when a rift opens on your head it can be really enjoyable.

However, I have gotten to the point whenever I hear the bloody hoooooooorn telling me an invasion is happening, I want to log off. So I feel like if I’m tired of the selling point already, it might not be the game for me.

I have cancelled my sub already but I’m really undecided on it. Plus I respect Trion for the effort they put into this game and the launch. I would definitely be willing to try whatever MMO/game they release next.