Hawken gets first mechtastic gameplay trailer

Thursday, 31st March 2011 03:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Multiplayer mech combat title Hawken has been honoured with its first official gameplay trailer.

There’s no pissing about with musical soundtracks in this baby; just the mechanical sounds of enormous robot death tanks tearing each other apart.

Hawken’s first trailer was released earlier this month. It’s expected to launch via digital distribution on multiple platforms.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. Ireland Michael

Man, this game looks bloody divine.

This should be a freaking retail title.

2. HauntaVirus

Wow, I’m impressed.

3. frostquake

FPS don’t need a “Pissing Soundtrack” as you put it…..LOL. See what a game can look like when you don’t spend a Million on hiring an Orchestra in Czechoslovakia!!!! and use that money to tweak and tighten up the actual game!!!

4. FabioPal

Wow!

5. Blerk

It’s frankly astonishing that this has been produced by a handful of people. It looks better than many big-budget, big-team commercial titles!

6. dtyk

if they added some epic explosion effect like lost planet series, this game would be flawless

as it is, it’s already lookin’ pretty damn sexual

7. DSB

I generally wouldn’t play a mech game, but this just looks awesome, and the fact that it’s made by so few people just makes it worth supporting the talent, really.

8. OlderGamer

Gonna have to be all over this when it comes out.

Almost reminds me of MechAssults run and gun gameplay. We need another MechAssult game, badly.

It is nitpicking, but the game could use a bit more color(it has the now typical washed out browns and greys that we see in so many games). Also some bigger and better looking weaponary, should be a bit more then bullets/rockets and a cloud of smoke.

But for what it is, it is looking very nice. If it has tight controls and enough mech choices, this game will become an instant cult hit. I do not have enough words to tell you how sick I am of realistic modern day war fps games. I don’t even play BFBC2 anymore.

I could really use a game like this, and soon.

9. Schindet Nemo

@7 You’re missing out on a lot then.
    MechAssault and Zone of the Enders were easily one of the most fun games of the Ps2/Xbox era.

I’ll definetly check Hawken out. Looks great

10. OlderGamer

MechAssult was a religious experience for me. I loved MA, not so smitten with MA2. But once I fired up MA and XBLGold, I never looked back.

MA online was prolly the biggest reason I play xbox over playstation to this day.

But I will agree with DSB about mech games. Most of them I don’t enjoy. They tend to be Japanese, fully of animie based story, and I just don’t enjoy that aspect of it. And also many of them have you driving large, slow, clunky building sized mechs. Tactics become more about managing cooldowns and rader trackers then anything else. I don’t enjoy those either.

But Hawkins looks like it has that run, gun and fun gameplay that hooked me on MA.

11. DSB

@9 Yeah, I don’t doubt it.

I played that 360 launch title with the mechs, but it got old pretty fast. I guess I haven’t found the right ones. I used to play a bit of Mech Warrior back in the day.

I just feel that metal pounding metal is boring. If you shoot at a person, you have bloodspatter, flesh and bone flying out everywhere, and you should be almost instantly rewarded by the guy going down.

That’s the primary reason why mech games and games that feature people with high HPs really turn me off, it’s just not rewarding enough. If you had a robot that just visually responded as it got hit, then I’d be a lot more interested.

With robots you’re just covering them in explosions and waiting until the armor degrades, not visually, but on a bar somewhere in the game. I need something a bit more visceral.

… Like a guy shooting getting violently launched from his mech seconds before it gets destroyed – Hawken should totally have that. It would help to explain the respawn, too.

12. YoungZer0

Holy shit, are you fucking kidding me? And this game is supposed to be from an indy developer? That looks like it could assrape most AAA-Titles. Especially in the art-department. Just look how slick and tasty the environments look. Not to mention the amazing sound effects. Is there a releasedate?

13. OlderGamer

Well took me awhile, and the quality of the video is not very good. But take a look at what a MP match of MA was like. This is why I played, gives you a feel for the chaos that was MA.

Best I can figure is the guy with the little mech flying around was just doing to capture the match for video.

14. YoungZer0

@13: I’m sorry, but all i hear is shitty music.

15. OlderGamer

Not my selection of tunes I assure you, but the video captures the action pretty well, albeit its a bit dark.

16. Ireland Michael

@12 Could? It most definitely does.

I doubt this will surpass Armoured Core for me but this looks miles above and beyond how Front Mission turned out, an that was made by one of the biggest companies in the industry.

17. StolenGlory

Holy shit this looks sexual.